BCD396T With V3.0.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

CityLights

Premium Subscriber
I installed it last night. Only played with it for 30 mins last night and I just fired it up this morning.
Everything left at stock settings after install, I'm finding the P25 conventionals and Fleetnet audio not as good. Getting micro clipping during P25 talk and the occasional static burst lead-ins. :( -When I look at the Auto P25 readout the nubers jump all over the place. The Error count is way up! ERR 9 to ERR32! On V2 firmware I would see a max ERR of 5 with most of the transmission being ERR 0. The V2 firmware had better audio after update. I hope tweaking V3 with manual settings will fix most of my problems. I also noticed Volume setting 6 on P25 is now Volume setting 7.

So far I wish I could roll back to V2 but keep the CC DND function.

CityLights

Premium Subscriber
Fixed the horrible audio clipping by changing P25 to manual.
Had to do this for each System.

Program System> "System Name"> Edit system Option> Adjust P25 Level> Manual [Press scroll Button IN]

To adjust the P25 settings while in scan.
Press and hold Function key> press Scroll button IN> press Scroll Button IN

When a P25 channel opens squelch adjust the level with the scroll knob to obtain lowest ERR number.

With P25 now set to 8, I get ERR 0 to 1 again. The audio clipping is gone/fixed.
So far haven't noticed the static lead ins on P25 Conventionals either. Will report back if they show up but for now I think everything is as good as the V2 firmware if you set P25 to manual.

Last edited:

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
All in all is it worth it to do the update?

I monitor Fleetnet and occasionally Go transit with the last update in March and heard major improvements IMO. How much if any, will my scanner work with this update?

Looking fowrard to feedback.

E

VA3QRM

thanks C/L

Fixed the horrible audio clipping by changing P25 to manual.
Had to do this for each System.

Program System> "System Name"> Edit system Option> Adjust P25 Level> Manual [Press scroll Button IN]

To adjust the P25 settings while in scan.
Press and hold Function key> press Scroll button IN> press Scroll Button IN

When a P25 channel opens squelch adjust the level with the scroll knob to obtain lowest ERR number.

With P25 now set to 8, I get ERR 0 to 1 again. The audio clipping is gone/fixed.
So far haven't noticed the static lead ins on P25 Conventionals either. Will report back if they show up but for now I think everything is as good as the V2 firmware if you set P25 to manual.

Has fixed things here as well. Was getting huge ERRs.....

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
All in all is it worth it to do the update?

I monitor Fleetnet and occasionally Go transit with the last update in March and heard major improvements IMO. How much if any, will my scanner work with this update?

Looking fowrard to feedback.

E

I was reading on the Uniden forum that alot of people have refered back to the last version. I did not put in the new version as I found a huge improvement after I did the V2 update on the fleetnet and also Barrie's Fire and Police which was pretty bad.

I think for now I will be leaving V2 in my scanners since they are doing great decoding.

Anyone else here having trouble with V3 on any other digital systems.

Take care

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I was reading on the Uniden forum that alot of people have refered back to the last version. I did not put in the new version as I found a huge improvement after I did the V2 update on the fleetnet and also Barrie's Fire and Police which was pretty bad.

I think for now I will be leaving V2 in my scanners since they are doing great decoding.

Anyone else here having trouble with V3 on any other digital systems.

Take care
Ron: I loaded in V3. Works ok but it probably isnt all the necessary,

The imporovement is barely noticeable.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
See UPMan thread in regards to V3 P25 performance
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120985

He has suggested if you have problems with poor digital decoding to do this

1. Turn off the scanner.
2. Press and hold down HOLD while turning on the scanner. The backlight will blink on the BCD996T and the BCD396T will sound some extra power-up tones..
3. MENU --> SETTINGS --> P25 ADJUST MODE to get to the menu, then press 3, E to change to Mode 3.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Actually, my suggestion is to do that regardless. Mode 1 is absolutely a bad mode for the scanner to be in. Mode 3 is the correct and optimized mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.