toronto police

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_scan

hi im new to this and wondering if the toronto police use a digital or analog system, if its digital is it of the ACPO 25 variety or other (please specify). and if its analog, how long will it remain so before converting to digital.

Thanks

phyberoptics

Premium Subscriber
hi im new to this and wondering if the toronto police use a digital or analog system, if its digital is it of the ACPO 25 variety or other (please specify). and if its analog, how long will it remain so before converting to digital.

Thanks

Currently, the majority of TPS is analog, however, you will find some APCO 25 talkgroups, and you will also find some encrypted talkgroups. I can't answer to how long it will stay this way.

pathalogical

You may want to consider digital. That's what the OPP is on. Rumor is, Toronto may go digital around 2012 with possible encryption. Since your new here I'll answer your next question -- encryption CANNOT be scanned with any scanner. So if ya got a couple of extra bucks to spend, shop for digital. Hope this helps...

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
FYI Toronto Police are currently testing the 9600 P25 at different times/days.
The tones heard are coming in strong. So doesnt seem to be any problem with the range.

Again as the other member mentioned not sure if it will be open digital or encrypted.

Currently all you need for Toronto is a basic ANALOG TRUNKING scanner (so if your tight for cash you can go that route for now)
But if you want to monitor OPP get a digital.

yorkphotog

Premium Subscriber
If you can afford it, much better to get a digital...that way you're prepared, and you can listen to the OPP.

I've got a BCT996T.. it is a very good scanner, and I listen to the OPP & GO Transit (which are both digital) and the 996 does a great job with the digital decoding.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
I've always wondered why most here don't wanna listen to the OPP. I mean, it's a hell of alot less coded than the city depts. The OPP are one of the few that are wide open english and no codes (or atleast barely) Since the inception of digital I've been able to hear a grand more of OPP coverage area than I was able to when they were on the old NOR system.

Maybe it's me and because I'm out in rural Ontario where there is no Big City Lights (with the Exception of Ottawa which is already and has been for a while EDACS Digital (Encrypted))

mr_scan

I read on the wiki that the Toronto police use a Bell Fleetnet system. What is this and will it require special programming to listen to on a BCD996T?

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
That is incorrect. TPS are on their own 800MHz 4 zone 16 site SmartZone system. You can find them under System ID 3c08. Your 996 will work just fine (as will any scanner capable of 800MHz trunking). They aren't digital. The system is shared with Fire and EMS.

ocscan

Premium Subscriber
I've always wondered why most here don't wanna listen to the OPP. I mean, it's a hell of alot less coded than the city depts. The OPP are one of the few that are wide open english and no codes (or atleast barely) Since the inception of digital I've been able to hear a grand more of OPP coverage area than I was able to when they were on the old NOR system.

Maybe it's me and because I'm out in rural Ontario where there is no Big City Lights (with the Exception of Ottawa which is already and has been for a while EDACS Digital (Encrypted))

I think a lot of the OPP's interest is due to the fact they voice dispatch 99% of calls, no use of MWS/MDT's put all the boring/fun stuff out there together. Most municipal PD's use MWS/MDT's for most of the dispatching/clearing of calls.

pathalogical

I think we tend to listen to whoever patrols our own hoods. In many areas where the OPP is the agency that responds to b&e, domestic or a loud music complaint next door, it makes sense that's who you'll listen to. Since OPP does not do Toronto, a need for digital wasn't a priority for me. But, since I live nextdoor to one of our major highways, digital would be great to listen to. Heck, if the MTO would swing one of their cameras a little to the east...I could wave Hi to everyone !!!

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I think we tend to listen to whoever patrols our own hoods. In many areas where the OPP is the agency that responds to b&e, domestic or a loud music complaint next door, it makes sense that's who you'll listen to. Since OPP does not do Toronto, a need for digital wasn't a priority for me. But, since I live nextdoor to one of our major highways, digital would be great to listen to. Heck, if the MTO would swing one of their cameras a little to the east...I could wave Hi to everyone !!!

It depends on our wants, likes & dislikes Idelmonitor:

In Toronto there is already so much to listen to; the FDP, EMS & PD traffic are constant. I could see it if you step foot on the OPP patrolled highways but if you dont why bother?

I live in Halton but (still, dammit) drive in to work on the extremely busy 400 series highways so to me, I do listen to the OPP.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Mr Scan... exkalibur was correct

TPS are on this system
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=4326

OPP are on BELL FLEETNET
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=861

Are you thinking TORONTO-DOWNSVIEW OPP (they control the highways 401 400 427 etc etc?
Yes they are on the Bell Fleetnet

They can be programmed with no problem into your 996T.
The only special info needed is the BANDPLAN needs to be set....

See this thread for some help to program in Fleetnet.. although its more made for the 396 you can get helpfull/general ideas.
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showpost.php?p=323209&postcount=2

I read on the wiki that the Toronto police use a Bell Fleetnet system. What is this and will it require special programming to listen to on a BCD996T?

mr_scan

TPS going digital

After doing a bit of research I would say sooner than 2012. If they're already experimenting with encrypted digital on some days, it'll only be a matter of time before they convert the whole system. My guess is closer to late 2010/early 2011.

Last edited:

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
That makes sense Don, thanks for the insight. Never thought of it that way. Either which way though you'd think that most would like to listen to stuff where you can actually hear voice unlike you say where most are done by MWS/MDT's.

I think a lot of the OPP's interest is due to the fact they voice dispatch 99% of calls, no use of MWS/MDT's put all the boring/fun stuff out there together. Most municipal PD's use MWS/MDT's for most of the dispatching/clearing of calls.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
This too also makes sense. And this is what I was kinda thinking to begin with. And I guess for my Hood, it's been OPP for a few years with only 2 towns in the county with local dispatch and only out of those 2 I can hear 1 the other is too far away.

Guess, I'm just one of those ones that like to cram every possible comm' into my radio that's possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.