Hamilton F.D. 10-8 and belted

Status
Not open for further replies.

FastEddie

Recently the Hamilton Fire Dept. have radioed dispatch that they are 10-8 and belted. What does belted mean??

mrweather

I think the question has been asked before about a different FD and it means the crew is on the truck and literally with their seat belts on.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
London Fire started doing this a few months ago as well. I raised the same question and apparently this is an accountability thing that stems from the accident in Windsor where a firefighter was killed when their truck was involved in an mva.

jerk

Recently the Hamilton Fire Dept. have radioed dispatch that they are 10-8 and belted. What does belted mean??

Yes, the new EVOC classes stress wearing seat belts on all runs and returning to station.
Firefighters have been killed when doors open going around corners and falling out.
Plus a great percentage of fatal crash reviews show no seat belts in use.

It's part of the new emphasis on safety first. Plus it provides a "record" if an incident happens or reprimand is needed.

tusker305

George was not killed in the Windsor crash, He is alive and well. Disabled but well. Detroit FF Joe Torcos from my firehouse was killed a week before in a crash with a speeding SUV. He left behind a wife and a daughter (born seven months after his death). This was started by the Chief in Windsor, and is catching on like a match in dry brush. It just might keep some Dads comming home at the end of the tour. That's my hope anyway.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Ahhh that's right.... I knew Windsor was involved and I recall that crash in Detroit... that was horrible. As previously mentioned, this is long over due. My dad was FF for 18 years and I don't think he ever once wore a seat belt enroute to a call.

fire4117

Central York and Richmond Hill Fire are 2 dept's that I can think of that are doing the same.

However, there is no proof that the just because captain radios "belted" that the FF's are actually wearing their belts. Even if the captain radios "responding PAR 5 belted", doesn't necessarily mean that everyone on the crew is wearing their belt. For all the captain knows, the crew all said yep we're good and one guy wasn't. If the truck is involved in a serious MVC and serious injury happens to the one person who is not belted, guess who it will fall upon? The captain 1st and the FF 2nd.

I'm in the fire service and I don't agree with the "belted" term. There are too many variables....

Just my 2 cents.

newtoscanning

It's not to ensure that firefighters buckle up all the time. If they choose not to, then they won't wear it, it's not the cpt/lt's job to buckle everyone in like they are 3 y/o. It's a friendly reminder incase you've been doing as the above poster stated and not wearing your belt for the past 18 years, this is a quick reminder. Neither of the fire trucks, ambulances, or the one cop car I rode in had the dinging alarm when you don't buckle up like a car has.

On your thought train, what happens if the captain doesn't say everyone's buckled, and dispatch forgets to ask, or if they forget to record it, or if one seat belt is faulty... The list goes on and on...

Central York and Richmond Hill Fire are 2 dept's that I can think of that are doing the same.

However, there is no proof that the just because captain radios "belted" that the FF's are actually wearing their belts. Even if the captain radios "responding PAR 5 belted", doesn't necessarily mean that everyone on the crew is wearing their belt. For all the captain knows, the crew all said yep we're good and one guy wasn't. If the truck is involved in a serious MVC and serious injury happens to the one person who is not belted, guess who it will fall upon? The captain 1st and the FF 2nd.

I'm in the fire service and I don't agree with the "belted" term. There are too many variables....

Just my 2 cents.

fire4117

It's not to ensure that firefighters buckle up all the time. If they choose not to, then they won't wear it, it's not the cpt/lt's job to buckle everyone in like they are 3 y/o.

I didn't say it was the captain's job to buckle them in like a 3 yr old. I'm just saying that there are always going to be a few guys who don't like following rules and don't think about the possibilities of injury to themselves or one of their crew members because of their personal choice.

I do think that it would be a good idea though for a buzzer that would activate when someone doesn't have their belt buckled. Similar to when you have a compartment door open on your truck. (Even then, the variables come into play. i.e. The belt can be buckled behind you to stop the buzzer)

tusker305

I really don’t know what kind of Departments some of you folks work for, not intended to offend but, the world I worked in, if an officer told you to do something you did it. You were likely to get your head handed to you if you didn’t. In the fire service anybody who has more white on their hat IS your boss, if your new enough even the firehouse dog out ranks you.
The Company Officer is responsible for the safe operation of his crew.
Guys just put the belt on, Please.
If you don’t do it for you, do it for the guys in your house. The same guys that are going to be forced to hug your wife, look her in the eye, and explain why. Don’t get sucked into “It will never happen to me.” That is what our whole profession is based on. One of two things can happen, years from now we can remember the night we crashed the truck and have a laugh. Or we can have a memory that we just can’t forget. Your Choice.

fire4117

I really don’t know what kind of Departments some of you folks work for, not intended to offend but, the world I worked in, if an officer told you to do something you did it. You were likely to get your head handed to you if you didn’t. In the fire service anybody who has more white on their hat IS your boss, if your new enough even the firehouse dog out ranks you.
The Company Officer is responsible for the safe operation of his crew.
Guys just put the belt on, Please.
If you don’t do it for you, do it for the guys in your house. The same guys that are going to be forced to hug your wife, look her in the eye, and explain why. Don’t get sucked into “It will never happen to me.” That is what our whole profession is based on. One of two things can happen, years from now we can remember the night we crashed the truck and have a laugh. Or we can have a memory that we just can’t forget. Your Choice.

I totally agree with you Tusker305.

All I was stating was that unfortunately, in my department, there are a few people that think they are above the law, and don't want to listen to their captain.

The unfortunate thing is, they will be the ones that end up not being as injured as the someone else who they are putting as risk.

newtoscanning

I totally agree with you Tusker305.

All I was stating was that unfortunately, in my department, there are a few people that think they are above the law, and don't want to listen to their captain.

Apparently not... If you did you would have a confidential/private conversation with a superior, put a suggestion into a suggestion box, or follow whistle-blower laws in Ontario (could be federal, but I know it exists).

Being from EMS I'm not 100% sure (cause EMS is the forgotten) isn't the motto "everyone comes home"?

Sorry for picking on you... but I had to say it for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.