MOH vehicle question

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Hi there. I know there are a few MOH govt types on here, i have a question.

I live near Halton EMS station #4 in Aldershot and have gotten very used to seeing a particular unit #3176 reply to calls in my general area. Lately, #3176 gets calls in more northern regions, Milton, Georgetown and is asked to "code 8 to 7 station" now.

Today I saw #3196, normally from what I remember, out of Mohawk Raceway area, station #6 I think, responding to a call in central Burlington. I am hearing them a lot more lately.

Now I know that EMS units go to calls "closest unit" (lived in Torono long enough) but is it possible that ambulances get switched, maybe to save wear and tear, maximilize use, etc?

I think Hamilton PD does this also,

Anyone know

PM if this is a sensitive subject

smnjhull

Unit Numbers

While you may GENERALLY see a particular unit working out of a consistent station this could change at any time. A unit (#1234) could need to be serviced and replaced by another unit (#1235). It is possible that that the EMS service decides to 'keep' the replacement unit (#1235) at that station instead of switching them back. Also, as unit's age they get retired and new trucks are purchased to replace them. The new truck would likely have a different unit # (#1246). It is entirely up to the EMS services operations (municipally controlled) as to where units are 'stationed'. It's up to the CACC (dispatch) (commonly Provincially controlled) where those units are dispatched to. Logistics dictate that where a unit starts the beginning of the shift (with medic(s) on-board) is where it will generally end the shift (the medic(s)) need to get their cars at the end of shift to go home. But that unit could break down or need routine maintenance during a shift and be switched up. That unit may get switched back at sometime - it may not.

Mike

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Thank you Mike for the info.

I was spoiled by Toronto's EMS comms on either the Moto and Mike Issak's fave EDACS system :)
Easy to follow unit's and unit #'s.

Eric

ocscan

Premium Subscriber
Normally newer units will be phased into the busiest stations, the older units moved to slower stations, and slower station (high mileage) units placed into spare pool. While all ambulances in a given service should be stocked the same the various medics will tend to equip/stock/organize as they see fit. Maintenance will also factor into the spares being used...

Ottawa (hi-density) and Toronto to my knowledge are notable exceptions to this in Ontario.

Status
Not open for further replies.