Antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.

se

Hello All.

I live in London Ontario...Could anyone please recommend a better antenna I can get for my BCD396T handheld scanner? I use a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse and today I noticed that while I was scrolling with the wheel on my mouse in Internet Explorer, there was interference coming though on my scanner.

Thanks Sheldon.

moonbounce

I don't think it has anything to do with your antenna as much as it has to do with the proximity of the scanner and computer. I have to keep my radio at least five feet away from my computer and I am not sure if that isn't far enough.

69stiles

London Fire is 800mhz & I use a Radio Shack 800mhz antenna.
For fleetnet I have to use an outdoor antenna. I haven't found any handheld ducky that works indoors but maybe somebody out there knows of something good. I'm about 20km from the nearest tower.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
If your getting interference your too close to the computer... a better antenna will probably will just make that interference worse (as it will pick up more).

As the previous poster suggested a RS 800mhz antenna is amazing for 800mhz... for Fleetnet if you have problems you should go to at least an extendable antenna, if not a mobile antenna (on a magnet mount that you place somewhere), or an outdoor antenna as suggested.

Try moving the scanner around the room different spots see how that works.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
or also a good magnet mount antenna.. and put it on a magnetic base somewhere in the room.
I found this helps a lot and gives you just enough room to get away from the PC, without having to wire outside etc etc.

An outdoor antenna is always better though.

moonbounce

Magnetic mount, I bought one in a dollar store for a dollar. Well madem 10ft cord, it is from the old cell phone days where you could mount it on a trunk lid and run it inside the car to your cell phone, works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.