700 MHz Band

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I have a question I hope anyone on here can answer for me.

I am just wondering if there is any kind of radio other than a scanner (which I don't want to get another one just to listen to this police department) out there that can listen to the 700 MHz band. That I can get programmed to listen to them.

Because next year a police department will be supposedly switching over to this 700 MHz band from what a friend was telling me. And that means there freq's and channels that they have been using will be no more good after the supposedly switch over next year. And then I won't be able to listen to them anymore untill or unless I get a radio that does the 700 MHz band.

So that is why I am wondering if there is a radio out there that I can buy and get programmed to be able to continue listening to them when they do switch over.

But if there is a radio out there that can do this, I won't be getting one until I know for sure that they are on the 700 Mhz band and what kind of setup they are using in the 700 MHz band.

So I will be waiting for any replies to this post. Thanks.

Coolguy

n5ims

Why not a scanner? Most of the conversions to 700 MHz are going to narrow band digital transmissions which limit your choices greatly. The elimination of a "scanner" pretty well restricts you to purchasing a commercial digital radio, which will be much more expensive than a scanner. Also, most of the 700 MHz systems are trunked which may take the commercial digital radio out of the picture also due to the issue with programming it onto the system legally.

If you would indicate which police department you're interested in monitoring, we may be able to provide you with better answers since at this point only generalities can be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.