700 MHz Band

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I have a question I hope anyone on here can answer for me.

I am just wondering if there is any kind of radio other than a scanner (which I don't want to get another one just to listen to this police department) out there that can listen to the 700 MHz band. That I can get programmed to listen to them only like RX only NO TALKING on it.

Because next year a police department will be supposedly switching over to this 700 MHz band from what a friend was telling me. And that means there freq's and channels that they have been using will be no more good after the supposedly switch over next year. And then I won't be able to listen to them anymore untill or unless I get a radio that does the 700 MHz band.

So that is why I am wondering if there is a radio out there that I can buy and get programmed to be able to continue listening to them ONLY when they do switch over.

But if there is a radio out there that can do this, I won't be getting one until I know for sure that they are on the 700 Mhz band and what kind of setup they are using in the 700 MHz band.

So I will be waiting for any replies to this post. Thanks.

Coolguy

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Of course whatever radios the public safety use to transmit/talk on 700mhz will also work for listening to them as well (provided you get them programmed property).
I dont know a list of those radios though, someone else can advise.

If you decide to go the scanner route, these scanners will do 700mhz
Uniden BCD396T, BCD996T, GRE PSR-500 PSR-500, and the new Radio Shack Pro-106 & Pro-197

moonbounce

My pro 2006 will go down to 760 Mhz, will the frequencies you are after go below that? What police dept. are we talking here?

SCPD

QRT
700 Mhz Band

Thanks for all your replies.

The reason why I was saying I would rather try and get a radio than another scanner is because I have no more need for another scanner and I don't want to buy one just for this Police Department I want to listen to when they do switch over next year. So that is why I was hoping if there was a radio out there to buy one of those so I can just get it programmed to listen to this Police Department only rather than another scanner.

As for the freq's in the 700 Mhz band. Right now I know nothing about what freq's or type of system this Police Department will use for there new System when they switch over. A friend of mine just told me that he found out that they will be switching over to this New 700 MHz System next year and that is all he knows about it and that is all he told me to.

We are talking about the Timmins Police.

So I was just wondering that's all if there was any type of radio out there now other than a scanner that will do, track and listen to the 700 Mhz band. So when the time comes I will know if I can get a radio like this rather than getting another scanner like I said which I don't need just to listen to them.

So I will be waiting for any replies to this post. Thanks again.

Coolguy.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
dont forget your looking at $500-700 for a scanner

and anywhere from $2000-$5000 for a professional 700mhz radio (just a price guesstimate) + programming (if anybody locally will do it for you - you cant just get this type of programming done at the local radio store without knowing someone).

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
dont forget your looking at $500-700 for a scanner

and anywhere from $2000-$5000 for a professional 700mhz radio (just a price guesstimate) + programming (if anybody locally will do it for you - you cant just get this type of programming done at the local radio store without knowing someone).

Bingo. A scanner will be far cheaper, easier to change and a lot fewer hassles in the long run. Maybe sell off some of your current scanners and consolidate with a newer model?

SCPD

QRT
Ok thanks again for the replies.

When the time comes and when they do switch over to the 700 MHz system. If I had to get another scanner I would want a portable one, but with those prices for those scanners, that is a little bit too much for me. So I guess I am just going to have to figure out some way to be able to listen to them every time I go there. Because I always listen to them everytime I am there.

So unless those prices drop quite a bit between now and when they are switched over next year, then I might get one, but if not then I will just have to do like I said or unless someone happens to be selling one next year when they are switched over for a price in my price range then maybe I can get one.

So thanks again for the replies.

Coolguy

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I believe you're pretty much guaranteed that any operations in the 700MHz band are going to be fully digital. It may even be a requirement of using the band.

IIRC, for the fellow with the 2006 asking, the 700MHz band will be 764-805MHz.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Ok thanks again for the replies.

When the time comes and when they do switch over to the 700 MHz system. If I had to get another scanner I would want a portable one, but with those prices for those scanners, that is a little bit too much for me. So I guess I am just going to have to figure out some way to be able to listen to them every time I go there. Because I always listen to them everytime I am there.

So unless those prices drop quite a bit between now and when they are switched over next year, then I might get one, but if not then I will just have to do like I said or unless someone happens to be selling one next year when they are switched over for a price in my price range then maybe I can get one.

So thanks again for the replies.

Coolguy

Hullo:
This is Ericguy. I will offer you a tip. Uniden is coming out with a new 396 like portable scanner. When that happens I am sure the price of the current 396 will go down. GRE sells good stuff also. You have options.

You will not be left out of the loop when listening to Timmins (and why are THEY upgrading radio systems anyways? Isn't everyone in the north screaming poor? They have scratch for radio systems eh? hmm. lol)

pathalogical

Thanks for all your replies.

The reason why I was saying I would rather try and get a radio than another scanner is because I have no more need for another scanner and I don't want to buy one just for this Police Department I want to listen to when they do switch over next year. So that is why I was hoping if there was a radio out there to buy one of those so I can just get it programmed to listen to this Police Department only rather than another scanner.

As for the freq's in the 700 Mhz band. Right now I know nothing about what freq's or type of system this Police Department will use for there new System when they switch over. A friend of mine just told me that he found out that they will be switching over to this New 700 MHz System next year and that is all he knows about it and that is all he told me to.

We are talking about the Timmins Police.

So I was just wondering that's all if there was any type of radio out there now other than a scanner that will do, track and listen to the 700 Mhz band. So when the time comes I will know if I can get a radio like this rather than getting another scanner like I said which I don't need just to listen to them.

So I will be waiting for any replies to this post. Thanks again.

Coolguy.
If you're relying on what your "friend" told you, you might wanna think twice ! http://police.timmins.ca/pdf/Business_Plan_2008.pdf On page 20 is your new friend and his name is Encryption. So...you're better off getting a scanner with the hopes of them not using encryption 100 % of the time allowing you to hear some stuff. Or drop thousands on a real radio + programming it by some shady guy who's gonna bone you for more money 'under the table' for the encryption key/software/installation. He may rig the radio so that you end up dishing out more moola for fix-ups.

Also, isn't it illegal to be in possesion of a radio capable of receiving encrypted communications ?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
you for more money 'under the table' for the encryption key/software/installation.

There's very little chance that anybody except the Radio Techs for Timmins Police Service will have the proper encryption key(s).

If they do go encrypted, he's SOL.

SCPD

QRT
700 Mhz Band

I was just going by what he told me, because he said he got this info from an officer or someone like that there that he knows and that is what this person said. So I am just going by that and he will be keeping me up to date on what is going on and when they do start switching over next year and what this new system is like and all that.

But hopefully they don't go to encryption, because then that will be one less good thing to listen to in Timmins when I go there everytime. And I always listen to them along with everything else while I am there.

So as long as they don't go to encryption and after this friend of mine tells me about this system then I will go from there and if I do have to get another scanner, hopefully the portable scanners that do the 700 Mhz band will drop in price between now and then, so it will be in my price range, if I do decide to get another just to listen to the Timmins Police.

So thanks again for all your replies.

Coolguy

polkaroo

I was just going by what he told me, because he said he got this info from an officer or someone like that there that he knows and that is what this person said.

Everyone seems to "know someone" who "knows stuff" about the future of "the system." Put all these "someones" together and you'll have as many variables as a lotto ticket.

Get my drift?

hodet

I think the actual Timmins Police Business Plan is a darned good source. Getting the city to pay for it is probably another issue as from what I understand encrypted systems are very expensive. But in these paranoid times I wouldn't be surprised to see it implemented. THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!! I am sure there are times when encryption is needed but I can't help but feel that open systems are better from a community/transparency point. If Toronto doesn't have it, I am not sure why Timmins needs it. Just not sure what to make of the BP. Could be just a 'want' as opposed to a 'need'.

pathalogical

Maybe the business plan takes the most expensive scenerio into account. If they approve the funds for it then they'll will go encrypted. It's probably cheaper for the package deal instead of wanting encryption years later and having to go through the approval process again. Kinda like a car salesman who wants you to get all the options on a new car. The higher the final pricetag, the happier the seller is ! There are several smaller police forces in Ontario that are encrypted like Orangeville and the database shows they have one conventional P25 encrypted frequency. It's not even a trunk system. It's easier for a smaller town to go with all the options than big cities. Timmins police with encryption X a couple hundred radios = $$$. Toronto Police with encryption X a few thousand radios = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. But seriously, do we really need encyption ??? Yeah there's sensitive stuff out there, but then I guess we'll never hear calls like "The complainant wants to report an assault and press charges. She said the suspect grabbed her by the hand and nearly broke her nail. Is there a unit that can respond ?". You see a police car on your street, you run for your scanner, but wait, it's no use.....they just went encrypted last week. It'll be days before you find out that little Johnny's bike got stolen out the garage and the parents want to report it. C'mon, we've all heard these kindsa calls, are the comms really gonna be any different with the big E ???

Status
Not open for further replies.