EDACS question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nailzz

Hello, i will start by saying i am completely new to scanners, but have read a tonne on this site and other websites. I purchased a BCT-15 a week ago and thought i had everything under control. I was able to load in Hamilton and TO police and fire, as well as a few conventional systems around my area. All of that is working fine.

My question is for the EDACS system in general (and for the Halton system more specifically). I loaded in the control channels for the three sites and i think i was correct in loading in the LCN as the number that is beside the frequency. Is this correct? I set the system as a EDACs (not the SCT option) and eash site is EDACS Standa/Wide. I hear the odd Milton Fire call. Maybe 3 calls in a week, but nothing else. I have done something wrong but not sure what. I am in Waterdown and can hear TO calls most of the time here so i assume the range is not a factor.

I also tried to get Cambridge/Waterloo/Kitchener loaded and hear nothing. I am betting it is to do with the same error in loading.

Little bit of a ramble. Thanks for any help. I am sure i will be back with more questions!!

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Hello, i will start by saying i am completely new to scanners, but have read a tonne on this site and other websites. I purchased a BCT-15 a week ago and thought i had everything under control. I was able to load in Hamilton and TO police and fire, as well as a few conventional systems around my area. All of that is working fine.

My question is for the EDACS system in general (and for the Halton system more specifically). I loaded in the control channels for the three sites and i think i was correct in loading in the LCN as the number that is beside the frequency. Is this correct? I set the system as a EDACs (not the SCT option) and eash site is EDACS Standa/Wide. I hear the odd Milton Fire call. Maybe 3 calls in a week, but nothing else. I have done something wrong but not sure what. I am in Waterdown and can hear TO calls most of the time here so i assume the range is not a factor.

I also tried to get Cambridge/Waterloo/Kitchener loaded and hear nothing. I am betting it is to do with the same error in loading.

Little bit of a ramble. Thanks for any help. I am sure i will be back with more questions!!

Hi there.

To monitor the Halton system you have to take a few things into account.
Load the frequencies in the same way they are listed in the database.

Each tower, in your case, Burl, Halton and Oakville, should be entered in as separate systems.
Keep in mind you have to be able to be in a position to be able to 'hear' the control channel.
Can you hear noise on all the control channels listed for Halton?
I am in Burlington & can hear Burlingtons & Oakvilles, not the one up north.
As for Waterloo regions, I cant get it in west Burlington to go ahead and see if you hear 'noise' on the regions control channel. If so you should be able to monitor.

Last edited:

Nailzz

Thanks for the set up points. I can here noise on the Burlington and Milton CCs. I quickly loaded a system for the Burlington site and nothing. Then just by chance, I stumbled across the setting for Dec. or AFS. I switched that to Dec. ( i had loaded in the Dec.) and heard a few things this morning so it looks like it all works.

Is there a difference between loading in the Dec. or AFS? Is one better then the other?

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.