TG 8752 on towers far from home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wretched

picking up Port Credit OPP talkgroup 8752 on Stratford and Listowel towers. Communications confirm location. Second time in a week I've heard them... just wondering why it would be on these towers?

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
picking up Port Credit OPP talkgroup 8752 on Stratford and Listowel towers. Communications confirm location. Second time in a week I've heard them... just wondering why it would be on these towers?

Because they are patched with Cambridge 5Echo, which is not far at all from the two towers you mention.
Sometimes the patch appears as Port Credit, sometimes Cambridge

VE3RADIO

thats correct! sometimes i hear a port credit (cambridge unit patch) say hw 7 at homer watson drive.. thats not far from you..

Wretched

Ok, I was just wondering, because I only pick up Oxford, Middlesex, Wellington, and Sebringville OPP TG's.... never seen Cambridge let alone Port Credit before, and they only lasted about an 1/2 hour each time (twice total last two weeks, that I've noticed)

So then, would this be a Cambridge unit traveling far enough west to affiliate with my two towers, both at the same time?

VE3RADIO

Ok, I was just wondering, because I only pick up Oxford, Middlesex, Wellington, and Sebringville OPP TG's.... never seen Cambridge let alone Port Credit before, and they only lasted about an 1/2 hour each time (twice total last two weeks, that I've noticed)

So then, would this be a Cambridge unit traveling far enough west to affiliate with my two towers, both at the same time?

Often they pickup transfers coming from London or elsewhere and the Port Credit or Cambridge unit drives somewhere near the end of the coverage zone to meet with the other unit.. they often place the patch on those towers at that time.

ocscan

Premium Subscriber
Often they pickup transfers coming from London or elsewhere and the Port Credit or Cambridge unit drives somewhere near the end of the coverage zone to meet with the other unit.. they often place the patch on those towers at that time.

Frequently you will see odd groups showing up on local towers near hospitals or here in Ottawa near the blood bank, due to blood/organ transfers performed by OPP units. Happened this weekend with a Ottawa-Kingston code 4 blood transfer.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I dont see much out of the normal on Hamilton.

I used to see a few northern 1 Central units but I guess one of them were in the general coverage area of the tower.

Here they seem to switch talkgroups for blood runs rather than patch FWIR.

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
Cambridge OPP covers hwy 7&8 right out to New Hamburg and both the Cedarwoods and Guelph West site don't do well past Baden Hill. That would be the reason for seeing the Port Credit or Cambridge OPP groups on those sites.

jellotor

Also consider (Terry, you can correct me if I'm wrong) that conditions may allow for increased range on VHF which might occaisionally result in radios affiliating to different towers. I'm guessing this would be pretty rare as I believe Fleetnet radios seek out the strongest control channel but likely possible in theory.

As always, the most likely explanation is a radio on that talkgroup within range of the site...that's why half the province was able to listen in on 1TAC01 when the doin's were a-transpirin' in 'Donia.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I dont see much out of the normal on Hamilton.

I used to see a few northern 1 Central units but I guess one of them were in the general coverage area of the tower.

Here they seem to switch talkgroups for blood runs rather than patch FWIR.

And as soon as I open my mouth (or type)

Today I heard Hamilton PD talking to the OPP off the repeater & on fleetnet.

Apparently they, and Halton do this from time to time (Halton mentioned iTac2 but I did not bother to figure it out) but today I dont have to leave for work till 11 so...

Ya never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.