Ontario Ministry of the Environment enforcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

xlq771

Does anyone know what frequencies are used by the Ontario Ministry of the Environment Enforcement unit, around the London area?

pathalogical

TAFL seems to be down, anyone else been trying it lately ???

Go to https://sd.ic.gc.ca/pls/engdoc_anon/web_search.licensee_name_input#Select Fields and use the word 'enforcement' in the name searh. You'll get a few hits but not necessarily London, but more like Province Wide or Ontario Wide. Keep your scanner in CTCSS/DCS in search mode if you have that feature. The tone is the only unknown part. Hope this helps...

mciupa

Canadian DB Admin
This is unconfirmed , but give 413.5125 a shot if they are nearby. That should be Ontario-Wide.

I think I may grab my scanner if I see them at 125 Resources Road in Etobicoke sometime.
I have seen both Ministry of Finance and Ministry of Environment vehicles parked at that Environment laboratory location.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
There is an MoE office down the road from my office in London (I think it's still there at least... was by EMDC on Exeter Road). I'll punch in that frequency and see if I get any hits.

vabiro

Premium Subscriber
I had some friends that worked there, and my info is a bit dated, but I hope it helps.

At the time (Early 90s) they were using some provincial frequencies, but didn't seem to have any cohesive radio communications strategy. The radios were used primarily for surveillance and casual communications that would now take place on cellular.

The MoE Investigations unit did a considerable amount of work with RCMP and OPP Intelligence. This was due to the involvement of organised crime in the dumping and transport of toxic waste. When this was going on, they used the LEO or Joint Forces frequencies.

I would not be at all surprised if they were currently using the Fleetnet system now.

Victor

DaveH

At the time (Early 90s) they were using some provincial frequencies, but didn't seem to have any cohesive radio communications strategy. The radios were used primarily for surveillance and casual communications that would now take place on cellular.
Victor

Prior to Fleetnet, I heard MoE a few times on an MTO repeater in Ottawa
using callsign XMJ752. Of course those repeaters are gone, and TAFL callsign
search doesn't return anything.

If they use Fleetnet on any regular basis, somebody should have heard
something by now either on their own, or another agency's TG(s). On the
other hand, finding low-activity TGs such as MoC has required careful
monitoring/logging in past.

Dave

Last edited:

vabiro

Premium Subscriber
Prior to Fleetnet, I heard MoE a few times on an MTO repeater in Ottawa
using callsign XMJ752. Of course those repeaters are gone, and TAFL callsign
search doesn't return anything.

If they use Fleetnet on any regular basis, somebody should have heard
something by now either on their own, or another agency's TG(s). On the
other hand, finding low-activity TGs such as MoC has required careful
monitoring/logging in past.

Dave

Dave,

That was my thinking. This is not a large group (unfortunately) when compared to MTO. Low activity TGs may be attributed to other groups. For example, a survellance could be attributed to the OPP.

I think it would take a leak of the specific TGs, or someone watching someone from MoE enforcement talking on a radio while receiving it on the scanner. This would be much easier to do in a more popular/larger organisation like MTO enforcement.

Cheers
Victor

pathalogical

This is unconfirmed , but give 413.5125 a shot if they are nearby. That should be Ontario-Wide.

I think I may grab my scanner if I see them at 125 Resources Road in Etobicoke sometime.
I have seen both Ministry of Finance and Ministry of Environment vehicles parked at that Environment laboratory location.
It'll be easier to see what they're doing too, now that Labatts has been leveled.

I also heard, many years ago, that the MoE lab was a high level lab (Level 5 ???) with unknown substances in the building. One day the fire department paid a visit and asked what kind of stuff they had in there and they were told that some of the unknown stuff was, well, unknown. So the FD said that they would not send their men in that type of situation if poop hit the fan. So the MoE reduced it to a medium level, 2 or 3. I'm not sure if this type of lab rating actually exists.

Last edited:

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Hard to say what sort of scale they would be using. Obviously Hazmat is ranked by levels, as well as things like biohazard etc etc.

mciupa

Canadian DB Admin
That would be the MOH labs next door at 81 Resources Rd. It is a Class III lab that handles toxins like drug resistant TB ,MRSA, West Nile Virus. The Class IV designation was not awarded to that lab(chalk one up for the local ratepayers and Labatt for that decision) so Ebola, Anthrax and other lethal pathogens are shipped to CDC in Atlanta.

Renovations at that building produced numerous false alarms, and the protocol is to send four apparatus because of it being multi-story and what is contained within. Fire Prevention told me that each appartatus responding costs $350 for a total of $1400 for each false alarm at that facility. Things seem to have quietted down lately, thankfully.

I agree with Dave about MOE using Fleetnet, why hasn't anyone "tagged" the talkgroup(s) yet ?
I'm going to keep 413.5125 in my scanner and see if it comes alive during an environmental incident.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I agree with Dave about MOE using Fleetnet, why hasn't anyone "tagged" the talkgroup(s) yet ?

Probably the same reason it took years to find the Ontario Fire Marshall on the system. They don't have any real need to use radios.

The few times I've heard the Fire Marshall's office on Fleetnet, the comm's were short and just idle chit chat.

I'm sure the MOE probably uses cellphones for 99% of their work.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
MOE Frequency

Does anyone know what frequencies are used by the Ontario Ministry of the Environment Enforcement unit, around the London area?

I don't know if this frequency is active in your area but I listen to 166.8150 MINISTRY OF ENVIRONMENT (88.5) in Fort Erie Ont.
I can confirm this frequency is active
Steve

vabiro

Premium Subscriber
That would be the MOH labs next door at 81 Resources Rd. It is a Class III lab that handles toxins like drug resistant TB ,MRSA, West Nile Virus. The Class IV designation was not awarded to that lab(chalk one up for the local ratepayers and Labatt for that decision) so Ebola, Anthrax and other lethal pathogens are shipped to CDC in Atlanta.

Actually there is a Level 4 lab in Winnipeg:

From: http://www.science.gc.ca/default.asp?Lang=En&n=3968F0F5-1

Summary
Ebola, Lassa fever... They are some of the deadliest diseases known to humanity, and Canada is bringing them here willingly. Today, the nation's first Level Four containment lab opened in Winnipeg. The $175-million facility is one of just 15 in the world, and it will house some of the most infectious agents the world has ever seen. They could strike at any time, and Canadian scientists want to be ready to fight them when they do.

DaveH

I don't know if this frequency is active in your area but I listen to 166.8150 MINISTRY OF ENVIRONMENT (88.5) in Fort Erie Ont.
I can confirm this frequency is active
Steve

TAFL shows it as active in your area only, so it's worth a try. From other searching
I come up with, Ontario-Wide; some of these were identified at an earlier point:

150.9650 SX
151.7300 SX

413.5125 SX/RP
412.5625 RP

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.