repeaters and Pl Tones

Status
Not open for further replies.

colport8331

Hi..got a couple of questions for the Pro`s...I am going to give a talk to the Guys about our Radio system at the Fire Hall ( Portables , Mobiles and Base )....We are out in Northumberland County..East of Toronto..I believe we use 153.515 as the Countywide dispatch....its what I have on my scanners....my question is...do our "Radios" Rx on a different freq? I guess its called an offset...and Tx on 153.515.. I saw on the database the PL tone is 167.9....is that what "talks/unlocks" the repeater...I`ve also seen 154.235 on the TAFL listings.....is that the TX freq/repeater input?....we also have a "CH 7" for operations...but beleive it doesn`t use a repeater.....more like a "talkaround" channel.

Thanks

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
First of all, does this have anything to do with your question on Scanont?

That question implied that you have some spare radios you want to program yourself for the department instead of taking them to your dealer.

If so, then don't dick around with something that people rely on in dangerous situations. You could find yourself in a lot of hot water if something happened to somebody because of a portable radio you programmed up incorrectly.

153.5150Mhz would be the transmit frequency of the repeater and your portables would receive on this frequency. The repeater would output a tone of 167.9hz.

Your portables would have a separate frequency used to transmit and the repeater would listen on this frequency. It's possible it's 154.2350Mhz but your radio shop would be the best source of that information. The pl tone is usually the same but it's possible to use a different pl tone. Once again, your radio shop would have that information.

If Channel 7 is a talkaround channel, then it would bypass the repeater. The frequency could be the output frequency of the repeater or it could be a separate frequency altogether.

slicerwizard

First of all, does this have anything to do with your question on Scanont?
Oh, I'm sure it does!

To: ScanOnt@yahoogroups.com
X-Yahoo-Post-IP: 76.67.113.134 (Bell Canada BELLCANADA-16 / Sympatico HSE SYME20070730-CA)
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 23:39:52 -0000
Subject: [Scanont] PL tones and repeater offsets

Hi..we have bought some radios to keep as spares....we are trying
program them to reach our repeater....the freq is 153.515....its the
Fire Disaptch for Northumberland County...do we require a repeater
offset..and from what I have seen Radioreference the Pl is 167.9....or
are the Pl tones unique to each township?

---

Status
Not open for further replies.