RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Canada Radio Discussion Forums > Eastern Canada Radio Discussion Forum Archives

Eastern Canada Radio Discussion Forum Archives - Please use the new Canadian forums for all new threads. This forum will eventually be closed for posting.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 11:42 AM

Default Traffic Lightbars/Strobe Kits

I would normally post this in the Mobile Setup Forum but previously the only people that seem to regularily surf those boards are ppl from the U.S. and i need someone with a little more knownledge pertaining to the GTA, so i am giving it a go in the Eastern Canada Forum, hope this doesnt piss any Mods off.

I guess this would be mostly directed to any tow truck drivers on the forum since they would be most familiar with this stuff, looking for a decently priced source for traffic lightbars and strobe kits, checked out some links on the net but the prices at some places seem crazy high compared to some of the gear i have seen on ebay.

Due to the current strength of the C$ i may consider ordering online from the states, but for now i would like to shoot local.

Any input is appreciated
Thanks
Old 04-08-2010, 11:49 AM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Check here for the info you're looking for. Be sure to talk to craig.
Squad Technologies LLC - Home
He'll be able to answer your questions.

n9zas
Old 04-09-2010, 3:04 AM

Wink u can try this guy

i got a whelen CSP690 6 outlet strobe boxes. i got 2 set up for my truck for $500
that was a year ago so alot less now i say.
his email MrDissociative@gmail.com
tell him jim send ya from canada
Old 04-09-2010, 9:40 AM

If you want to stay local, try Star Warning Systems in Niagara Falls.
We have a fleet of vehicles equipped with LED traffic directors and so far they have been great.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:16 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Why not get hardcore, and build your own?
Sponsored links
Old 04-09-2010, 10:50 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsandsirens View Post
If you want to stay local, try Star Warning Systems in Niagara Falls.
We have a fleet of vehicles equipped with LED traffic directors and so far they have been great.
Unless you plan on setting up an account and purchasing to outfit a fleet, going directly to Star will do you no good. They will just refer you to a local distributor.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:48 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

For one-offs, I've had good luck with Action Van and Truck - their prices aren't the best, but haven't been too far out of whack either, in my experience...

May want to check out AJ Stone, as well... http://www.ajstone.com

Last edited by OntFF221; 04-09-2010 at 11:51 AM..
Old 04-09-2010, 12:07 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

http://www.dandrelectronics.com/dandr-website.nsf
LED, Strobe, Halogen Emergency and Maintenance Vehicle Warning Lights – Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I am not recommending anywhere, just giving you some options. How many kits/lightbars you looking to purchase, and what colors? Would you consider used equipment? If so, check eLightbars.org as well... they also have a extensive sales/distributor list.
Old 04-10-2010, 6:58 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

STERLMAR EQUIPMENT - Welcome to Sterlmar Equipment
Old 04-14-2010, 7:20 PM

for great products, fast shipping go to Whelen, Federal Signal, Able 2, Sho Me, 911ep, Axixtech - Strobes N' More Louis will help you out.
Old 04-14-2010, 7:25 PM

Thanks for all the help guys, makes it a lot easier to find these places when someone tells you about them, i think only one of the places mentioned i actually found via the internet, so its much appeciated.

Oh and as far as making them myself, two things A) If i was still in University i probably would for the fun of it, but unfortunatly i dont have that kind of time these days. B) Its for some small jobs at work , so i dont pay for the stuff, might as well buy it since i am expensing it anyways
Old 04-27-2010, 3:51 PM

Question Legality of Whelen Electric Air Horn w/ PA

Beings this kinda fits right along with the topic, Is there any law in Canada, or more specifically, in New Brunswick that say that I can't have one of these electric "air horns" in my car?

(Link To Power Air Horn (On Whelen Engineering)

Thanks,
Jd
Old 04-27-2010, 4:03 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

You would have to check the provincial highway traffic act for your province. I know in Ontario, there was an amendment that was added to prohibit the use of these style horns in personal vehicles.

Highway Traffic Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8

Section 75 Subsection 6

Prohibition as to use of siren horn

(6) No vehicle other than an ambulance, fire or police department vehicle, public utility emergency vehicle or vehicle operated by the Ministry shall be equipped with a siren horn or a device producing a sound which so nearly resembles that produced by a siren horn as to deceive or confuse. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 75 (6).
Old 04-27-2010, 4:05 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keganm View Post
You would have to check the provincial highway traffic act for your province. I know in Ontario, there was an amendment that was added to prohibit the use of these style horns in personal vehicles.

Highway Traffic Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8

Section 75 Subsection 6

Prohibition as to use of siren horn

(6) No vehicle other than an ambulance, fire or police department vehicle, public utility emergency vehicle or vehicle operated by the Ministry shall be equipped with a siren horn or a device producing a sound which so nearly resembles that produced by a siren horn as to deceive or confuse. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 75 (6).
Uh, thats for Siren tones, or sounds close to a siren tone.. Not a normal electronic Airhorn sound...

At least, thats how I read it.. I am sure Police may have a different opinion..

Last edited by unlisted; 04-27-2010 at 4:06 PM.. Reason: added comment
Old 04-27-2010, 4:30 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I suppose you could read it as only that.
Old 04-27-2010, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlisted View Post
Uh, thats for Siren tones, or sounds close to a siren tone.. Not a normal electronic Airhorn sound...

At least, that is how I read it.. I am sure Police may have a different opinion..
I agree with the above poster. The difference between a "flat" airhorn tone and a siren tone is notable, in theory, but the HTA can always be left open to interpretation.

Other provinces have regulations that state your vehicle cannot be equipped with a device that emits overly harsh or loud tones. That would cover airhorns, trainhorns, bullhorns, mothers in law, etc.
Old 04-27-2010, 7:05 PM
Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

The original poster got his answer and the followup question is a dupe of another thread which was closed.

Sorry but I don't accept PM's. Please use email instead.