new hydro one tunnel

Status
Not open for further replies.

mciupa

Canadian DB Admin
I did a little research and found out that Strabag AG is an Austrian company.
Wonder if they are leasing radios for the duration of the contract ? Check out who is in the radio comm. business in NF and perhaps they may be found there.
One of the subcontracted firms on site is Dufferin Construction which uses 440.2875 Ontario Wide (according to TAFL)

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
How are they able to use that frequency? Does that not fall into the Ham Band?

I was looking for Dufferin Construction frequencies awhile back as they're doing some road work up my way I think.
http://www.dufferinconstruction.com/

mciupa said:
I did a little research and found out that Strabag AG is an Austrian company.
Wonder if they are leasing radios for the duration of the contract ? Check out who is in the radio comm. business in NF and perhaps they may be found there.
One of the subcontracted firms on site is Dufferin Construction which uses 440.2875 Ontario Wide (according to TAFL)

jellotor

Could even be on that Maxtel Wireless MPT1327 system since they're in the falls...then again, firefgtr, aren't you guys on that system too?

firefgtr

Premium Subscriber
yes we are, and they are not on it. But i do remember we were on site for a fire call and the "white helmet" that let us onto the site property, his radio beeped when he keyed it up. so it has to be a trunk system of some sort.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
re-construction

firefgtr said:
yes we are, and they are not on it. But i do remember we were on site for a fire call and the "white helmet" that let us onto the site property, his radio beeped when he keyed it up. so it has to be a trunk system of some sort.

firefgtr, you have a real nice radio in your collection BCD 396T, WHY NOT USE
Close Call™ RF Capture Technology - Instantly tunes to signals from nearby transmitters, in minutes you can find the frequencies you want, and you live in Niagara Falls, just drive by the place.
Steve

firefgtr

Premium Subscriber
Saint said:
firefgtr, you have a real nice radio in your collection BCD 396T, WHY NOT USE
Close Call™ RF Capture Technology - Instantly tunes to signals from nearby transmitters, in minutes you can find the frequencies you want, and you live in Niagara Falls, just drive by the place.
Steve

ya thats true!! i forgot about that feature

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
IdleMonitor said:
How are they able to use that frequency? Does that not fall into the Ham Band?

Hams aren't primary users of the 440 band. We're secondary. So there's no reason why a commercial interest couldn't be licensed on the 70cm band.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
It's probably some sort of GPS device. Lots of golf courses and surveyors are licenced for *telemetry* on this frequency.

You won't find any commercial users on voice in this band.

DaveH

Mike_Oxlong said:
It's probably some sort of GPS device. Lots of golf courses and surveyors are licenced for *telemetry* on this frequency.

Differential GPS (DGPS) to be more specific, and it may show up this way
in some licences. It's "radiolocation" which is Primary in that band.

Dave

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
I don't recall off the top of my head, but it was 445.something IIRC. It's possible it was an amateur conversation, but it was very security-like with mention to Dufferin, Transit Road and "front gate"...there's a few frequencies listed in TAFL up at Downsview in the 70cm band and the old Haruteq book lists one as Boeing which is why I figured that's what I was hearing.

Searching TAFL, there's also a bunch of repeaters on there as well, such as this one in St. John's

000444900000 000449900000 6 66103814022 ST. JOHN'S,NL, EOC CENTRAL FIRE STN 473353 0524255 2.5 0.0 72 6 0 3 B 662664430 *R* 080005674 CITY OF ST. JOHN'S AT CV XJI84 900 16K0F3EJN 20040329 8.0 8000

That one, I figure, is probably a ham repeater that's setup at a fire hall for ARES or whatever, but it licensed commercially so non amateurs can use it as well. Aparantly VO1UHF is listed as 444.9+ in St. John, so I guess that answers that case.

The majority of licenses in the TAFL are listed as DGPS, but it's entirely possible that a company also uses it for voice as frowned upon as that might be.

Seems odd that DGPS is licensed up there though, with the potiential for interference, especially considering the majority of hams probably have no idea what DGPS would sound like, and would figure it's just noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.