licensing??

Status
Not open for further replies.

djscanner

Hey all,
i am just curious. as per Industry Canada do you need a license to have a digital scanner, and or does it need to be licensed? or is that a "grey" area which IC is still working on ?
and how would one go about gettign licensed if you need to?

hypersight

djscanner said:
Hey all,
i am just curious. as per Industry Canada do you need a license to have a digital scanner, and or does it need to be licensed? or is that a "grey" area which IC is still working on ?
and how would one go about gettign licensed if you need to?

Yup. You need a Digital Scanner License. It's $500.00 a year. Na, just kidding - you do not need a license for any kind of scanner.

djscanner

hmmm, okay so why does industry canada have this to say?
http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/internet/insmt-gst.nsf/vwapj/rss135.pdf/$FILE/rss135.pdf#search=%22industry%20canada%20scanner%22
any one else with any inpuit on licensing a Digital scanner? thanks

xml

Good lord, not this again :)

Buy a scanner. Any scanner you'd like actually.

BUT

Don't walk around blaring police talkgroups, or tell the world you're broadcasting their talkgroups on the Internet, or decoding their pagers... Those have and will get attention by the Police et al;

Other than that, keep it to yourself and enjoy.

djscanner

yea but if i have a mobile scanner and i have it in the car and for whatever reason i get pulled over and the cop sees it i don't want to lie about it. i want to say "yea it is a digital scanenr and here is my license" and then they can't do **** about it.. lol so does any one know how to get a license?

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Well, they can't do anything about it as it is now. There is no digital license. There are TONS of people in the GTA with digital scanners (tow trucks), and the OPP know very well they can listen. If it was going to become an issue, it would have happened by now.

mciupa

Canadian DB Admin
Side step the issue by buying used from someone here in Canada or buying new from the US. If you buy new in Canada , the dealers may bring this issue up.

So you plan on telling an officer "here's my license , you can't do **** about it" , I'd advise you not to get pulled over for whatever reason :wink:

djscanner

hypersight said:

lol that is jsut some faq site, the bottom line is that IC and the Radiocommunications Act, specifically state you need to license a digital scanner.
and After speaking to IC, they told me it was illegal to use a DIGITAL scanner without having a license. soooo why do so many ppl have scanners and not get them confescated???

xml

OK. Don't get one then.

Or, ask for a license application that will never get approved (or depending who you get - doesn't exist).

If you called Industry Canada - why would you come on to an Internet board and get legal advice anyhow?

Second, interested to see where this is stated in the RCA? Wait, it's not.

To answer you question, because they are perfectly legal.

djscanner

xml said:
OK. Don't get one then.

Or, ask for a license application that will never get approved (or depending who you get - doesn't exist).

If you called Industry Canada - why would you come on to an Internet board and get legal advice anyhow?

Second, interested to see where this is stated in the RCA? Wait, it's not.

To answer you question, because they are perfectly legal.

quoting RCA"A technical acceptance certificate (TAC) is required for digital scanner
receivers, pursuant to section 4(2) of the Radiocommunication Act and the
Radiocommunication Regulations. Before certification is granted for digital
scanners, the applicant shall show that the applicable standards have been
complied with. TACs issued for digital scanners contain a term and
condition that limits the distribution of the equipment."
but that agian, i don't understand . soo , IC says you need a ham licence or a licencee from them . for digital scanners. but like you said if it is not in the RCA and only in a circular from IC then thre really is no law or staue that prevents persons having a digital scanner without a license. lol even though if you open the back where the battery is and it says" Canada only - A radio license must be obtained prior to possesion and use of this device. made in china "

WAIT look what i found:
RCA
"PROHIBITIONS

Prohibitions

4. (1) No person shall, except under and in accordance with a radio authorization, install, OPERATE or POSSESs radio apparatus, other than

(a) radio apparatus exempted by or under regulations made under paragraph 6(1)(m); or

(b) radio apparatus that is capable only of the reception of broadcasting and that is not a distribution undertaking.

secondly i contacted IC after i came to the discussion board. jsut to get a well rounded answer, and laws and statues change and get amended frequently. "
taking from http://lois.justice.gc.ca/en/r-2/258836.html

can any one interpret this??
cheers

Last edited:

xml

Please. Stop. Since you already have one? What's the issue?

I'm trying to give you a well rounded answer. A scanner license isn't going to somehow exempt you or give you special permission to do anything you can't do right now.

Second, the cost of conducting licensing versus the benefits of it... what a waste of time and money for everyone. P25 is an accepted industry standard. Back in mid '96 when this grand idea (only) was cooked up, it wasn't.

Do you really think Industry Canada would be allowing the sale of a consumer based device to the masses if they really required a license, or they were not certified? Wait, I won't answer that one.

Since Industry Canada clarified your issue, I'd be happy to take your device off your hands :p

Enjoy your scanner.

Last edited:

KL

It's like driving on the highway, you are not suppose to break the speed limit, because it is illegal to do so.

But the reality is that everyone, OK, most everyone drives over the speed limit, notice that the police isn't catching everyone that is going above the speed limit.

Just don't be a blabbing idiot, cause un-due attention to yourself with the digital scanner, because then you just might find yourself under the scrutiny of the government agencies.

jellotor

...the irony in these threads kill me, especially when posters argue in FAVOUR of a non-existant license that RESTRICTS their ability to own a piece of equipment.

Consider my head shaken in amazement once again...

djscanner

MatteBlack said:
just dont feed the frickin trolls like djscanner... it's obvious from his posts he knew the answer before he came here.

lol well it is pretty easy to judge someone when oyu don't knowthem, but believe you me, i didn't know the answer when i got here. this thread basically just sparked my curiousity further m therefor i looked into it further and disclosing what i found with the discussion. and then from there see what ppl had to say or to help interpret what i had found. but at any rate i understand the "grey" area of the digital scanner and you will not hear a peep from me on this topic.
Enough said
cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.