Toronto EMS EDACS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Hi all;

I'm sure this has been asked before - but.

On RR, are two systems listed for the Toronto EMS EDACS system - the Main site (Yonge and Eglinton) and a site somewhere in the East.

Is this east site still used? Andrew and I tried to located it, but were unable to find a control channel in the east end.

If it IS used...is it just simulcast of the main site, or is it a totally separate system, with linked talkgroups?

Thanks!

mciupa

Canadian DB Admin
The East site is still used . The control channel is 863.0375 .
I listen to it when visiting Newcastle , Ontario (around Exit 440 off of the 401)
I think if you go at least to Pickering/Ajax area you will lose the Toronto CC and then get 863.0375 .
There are other members east of TO that have confirmed it works as well, I hope they'll back me up.:)
Most talkgroups that come up are 10-002 and 10-004 .

I submitted the East site for consideration to the database on Nov. 9/04 co-incidentally.

polkaroo

Who still uses EDACs radios? It's not even a backup system because the Moto radios can't talk EDACS anyway?

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Toronto EMS use EDACS. Their portables are on the Motorola system, their mobiles are on EDACS, with the talkgroups patched.

So no, it's not a backup system, it's a primary system. I doubt they'll swap out the EDACS mobiles for Motorola mobiles, as it's probably cheaper to keep it the way it is now.

jellotor

Hell, there's still plenty of EDACS users out there...why wouldn't there be? Halton, Waterloo, London PS, Ottawa I believe...

pathalogical

When listening to EMS on Moto, the only time I hear reference to the EDACS system is when they say "Switch to TAC 1". Does this have a coresponding TGID on the Motorola system ? I know there's TAC A, B, and C. I had the EDACS programed, then deleted it, not that I'm low on memory, but Moto sounds much more "up front" than EDACS, which sounds like they are talking 5 feet away from the mic.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
TAC 1 on EDACS is patched to ALS on the Motorola system. I'm not sure if it's a fulltime patch or not, but I've heard it several times.

They probably sound more "up front" on the Motorola system because that's what they use their portables on. Although the patch is on 24/7 to EDACS, you can definatly tell which system the user is transmitting to. EDACS audio is MUCH clearer than the Motorola system.

polkaroo

Interesting. I've seen MCS2000s on the ambulances though... maybe they've done half the fleet? But with all this talk of a new digital/encrypt radio system... :)

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Those MCS2000's you see are for the VHF Fleetnet system.

I wouldn't worry too much about this "digital/encrypted" radio system. If Toronto Fire aren't going to be using digital or encryption, I really doubt EMS would either.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
MCS2Ks not only don't do EDACS, they don't do digital either.

And at the risk of getting into a system war, I've yet to hear an EDACS system that sounds as good as the analog on my local Mot system. All the EDACS systems I've listened to sound horribly overmodulated yet at the same time almost tinny.

Motorola digital on anything but the actual Centracom consoles at work sounds garbled and muddy to me (not just on scanners - on pro XTS/Spectras/etc).

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
I never said the MCS does EDACS or Digital. In the vehicles, they use EGE Orions for EDACS and the MCS2k for Fleetnet (VHF SmartZone).

The EDACS system for Toronto EMS sounds a million times better than the Motorola system, if you're using a proper radio.

Also...there's no reason why an Astro Spectra wouldn't sound the same as a Console - it's the exact same hardware that's decoding the digital voice data. The OPP system here sounds just fine on a commercial radio - even really good on a scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.