Peel Regions System has gone South!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
It would appear that the Peel Region system has taken a dump.. No Trunking and they are using main freq as conventional

mciupa

Canadian DB Admin
Noticed that too , this afternoon . Even if you tried to scan conventionally, the freq's were "open" and needed repeated pushing of the SCAN button to move them along. Also after every transmission there was a double "beep" tone.

jellotor

Could that be a symptom of FAILSOFT? I remember a year and a half ago (or so) in the early morning the Hamilton TRS went into FAILSOFT mode and it was the same sort of thing...certain trunked frequencies were being used by certain users (one for east end police ops, one for fire, one for central police ops) but the squelch was open on them the whole time whether there was any traffic or not.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Yup. Welcome to Failsoft country.

But then again, it's a trunking system. According to some, they're totally unreliable and when the system goes down, you're SOL, especially with 500 talkgroups active!

slicerwizard

Yeah, failsoft is useless because apparently, users aren't trained on how to use it, so that makes it the system designer's fault and we should all be on low band conventional or something like that anyway. And all those talkgroups are an illusion - when the ****e hits the blades, their radios will be useless because everyone will get bonked for uh, a long time, yeah, that's the ticket...

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
It was screwed up for sure.. Peel Police were using the cells most of the time at dispatchers said 10-3 unless urgent.. Fire was having a nightmare as they didn't know how to work the radios.. I think Peel should be looking into a backup system or at least train them to know how to use the damn radios...

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Well it comes down to a training issue. The Toronto system has had some hiccups in the past, and it's never caused a serious interruption. The worst that I've ever seen it was during the blackout...but even then, they switched to direct for a backup until the techs could get the sites back online.

I'm not sure what Peel has in the way of backups, but I would hope they have simplex, or at least some conventional machines on the air.

jellotor

Y'know, the funny thing about Hamilton when a failsoft occured is not one person (that I heard) *****ed about the radio system. All users seemed to take it in stride...which means it does come down to training.

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
well peel police where cool with it, Miss Fire was having a hard time with it.. I never heard Brampton Fire at all...

slicerwizard

For pretty much all day on Monday, channels 2, 4 and 7 were dead with RIB malfunctions. It's not too hard to see how a system like that could end up in failsoft.

Also saw these interesting rejections:

10:24:43 Rejection: Radio 277: ID used by console or other device
10:24:46 Rejection: Radio 277: ID used by console or other device
11:50:14 Rejection: Radio 277: ID used by console or other device
11:50:18 Rejection: Radio 277: ID used by console or other device
12:01:24 Rejection: Radio 277: ID used by console or other device
12:01:26 Rejection: Radio 277: ID used by console or other device
12:01:28 Rejection: Radio 277: ID used by console or other device
12:01:29 Rejection: Radio 277: ID used by console or other device

Somebody needs to get their bootleg radio reprogrammed...

Status
Not open for further replies.