London Police to upgrade radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
From a story in todays London Free Press regarding this years police budget:

<snip>
The board also gave the thumbs-up to a proposed capital budget of $11.8 million. That includes $2.4 million to replace aging portable radios carried by officers, Duncan said.

"Technology is changing and we've had to put money in for those changes," he said. "This is all about being progressive.

"Obviously, a police service is not in good hands if they can't communicate."
<end snip>

My guess is that they are upgrading the LPE200's to Jaguars. I don't see any mention of upgrading the mobile radios in the cars though, so I'm thinking they are staying with AEGIS and not moving to ProVoice (yet).

The full story can be found here: http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/CityandRegion/2006/11/17/2391162-sun.html

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
I think someone had posted over on Scanont awhile back that there were plans for the London Fire Department to join in on the EDACS system as their old Type I system is getting rather aged. I wonder if this has anything to do with it...

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
There has been talk of that. I heard that LFD has been testing on the EDACS system to compare coverage, etc (but I haven't heard any activity personally). There was a snippet on the London news a month or so back discussing how poor the coverage was on London fire's system, and it mentioned they were looking at perhaps joining the city or investing in a new system. It was undecided at that point. The monies that LPS are spending have been in the budget for a while though, so I don't expect it's anything related to LFD. I'm not sure why they would need to replace all their portables, other than typical wear and tear issues. I'm sure they see a fair bit of abuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.