Hydro Smart metres

Status
Not open for further replies.

pathalogical

Toronto Hydro is in my neighbourhood installing the new metres. It takes less than a minute or two to remove the old and pop in the new one. Fresh, clean start at 000000 kWh. Had it now for over an hour and the reading still says 000000...hope it stays that way !!! He said it's 10 cents per unit of electricity during the day. Weekends it is 2 cents and weeknights between 11pm-6am also 2 cents. He suggested I shut off my computer, anything else was ok. NO door knock, no notice. If you see him making his rounds and you're concerned about your PC, shut 'er down. Don't quote me on the cents per unit, find out from Hydro to be sure.

Anyone else get their new metre ?

slicerwizard

The smart meters (note the spelling) are following the rollout of their wireless network, so you may be able to use their network for free for a few months until they start charging for access.

I don't think the off-peak rates are going to be as low as two cents per kilowatt hour.

Summer peak hours (maximum rate) are 11am to 5pm (heavy AC usage hours). Mid-peak hours run 7am to 11am and 5pm to 10pm. Off-peak (lowest rate) runs from 10pm to 7am.

Winter peak hours are split between 7am to 11am and 5pm to 8pm. Mid-peak is 11am to 5pm and 8pm to 10pm. Off-peak runs from 10pm to 7am (same as the summer).

All weekend hours are off-peak.

mciupa

Canadian DB Admin
pathalogical said:
Anyone else get their new meter ?

They started rolling them out here in Etobicoke last year.
The posher areas first (of course) and us poorer folk in north Etobicoke earlier this spring.
I don't think the word "deadline" has any meaning to the municipal government.:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.