Niagara Falls Fire Dispatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkmage_2002

A few months ago, I posted a request for the frequency that would allow me to hear Niagara Falls Fire Dispatch. The following freqs were provided:

420.0625, 420.275, 420.575

For quite a while, I was totally successful listening to 420.0625. Then one day, a ocscillating "noise" showed up on this frequency that sounds as though someone is holding their radio open. I thought it was just a fluke. Now, several weeks later, I realize that it isn't going away.

Did I just start listening to Niagara Falls Dispatch at the right time -- a time that allowed me a few weeks of monitoring them before they switched to some new kind of technology?

OK.... THIS is the most bizarre thing that has happened to me in ages.

I put my scanner on 420.0625 and left it running while I typed this message. The "noise" just cleared and I heard dispatch for the first time in weeks. What are the chances that this could clear up after weeks and weeks of not posting this message? The chances are far too bizarre. Therefore I'm going to assume that this "noise" is going to come again. What could it be? I've heard that this is a shared channel. Perhaps another carrier on this frequency broadcasts in such a way that it sort of "jams" the channel? But that doesn't make sense -- how could fire dispatch use it?

Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated. I know I can't do anything about this -- but I still want to learn!

Are there other ways of hearing Niagara Falls Fire Dispatch as a "backup"?

And when those original freqs were provided to me (420.0625, 420.275, 420.575), why three of them? I've not heard anything on the latter two channels at all. What are they for?

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Fire Department

This is the system that Niagara Falls Fire is on, It's mpt-1327 Trunked system no Scanner Radio's can trunk track this system at this time. The noise you hear is a control channel, I have the same problem a few weeks ago 420.0625 became a control channel, the best thing to do is program in all the frequencies for niagara falls, fort erie, thorold, Queenston and the others, when you hear the control noise on a channel take it out of the scanner, that's all you can do. They are making changes to this system all the time and all the users are getting a little tired of this system.
Streve
http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=3341

firefgtr

Premium Subscriber
ok here it goes....Iam a volunteer FF with NFFD. As of now 420.272 and 420.575 is all you need. however.....there is some annoying "noise" that 420.575 has been having for a few days now. and no unfortunately there is no back up radio system that we use, basically when the radio goes down.....well.....its cell phone time

Last edited:

firefgtr

Premium Subscriber
all we have now is the Kenwood UHF mobiles and portables, the only VHF radio we have is at dispatch for our Motorola Minitors and the same VHF freq (150.545) is used for the alfa numeric pagers as wall

Last edited:

Saint

Premium Subscriber
re-154.070

exkalibur said:
Ouch, they scrapped VHF all together? What about 154.0700 for mutual aid?
Fort Erie Fire Department uses 154.070 as CH-3, and also I hear Welland, Thorold Fire Depts. on this channel.
Steve

Quint6

Niagara Falls Ont Fire

Wow ! I'm picking up N Falls Fire in Lancaster/Elma NY
that's like 20 miles SE of Buffalo and probally at least 50 miles from N falls
Loud in clear !
I heard Pump 2, Rescue 1 & 53 (what ever 53 is ?) responding to an MVA on 420.275

pokey

Premium Subscriber
Quint6 said:
Wow ! I'm picking up N Falls Fire in Lancaster/Elma NY
that's like 20 miles SE of Buffalo and probally at least 50 miles from N falls
Loud in clear !
I heard Pump 2, Rescue 1 & 53 (what ever 53 is ?) responding to an MVA on 420.275

I am picking them up in Mississauga also. Great signal strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.