CP Rail Police questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VA3QRM

What are the policing powers of CP Rail Police? Same as local PD? Just curious.....see previous post. Thanks.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
re-police

VA3QRM said:
What are the policing powers of CP Rail Police? Same as local PD? Just curious.....see previous post. Thanks.

As far as I know they only patrol on railroad lands, buildings and any calls that are on railway lands. Also any calls that have too do with the trains (ie) trespassing, theft, any vandalism and so on.
Steve

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Railway police in Canada (CN and CP) are fully sworn police officers, just the same as Toronto Police or the OPP and as such, can enforce the exact same laws. They have the pretty lights and carry guns.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Can anyone confirm the frequencies they use in SWO? I've seen lots of 'I think they are on xxx.xxxx but I'm not sure'.... I've also heard several times they use P25, but I've never seen any proof of that myself.

VA3QRM

CP Police

Forts said:
Can anyone confirm the frequencies they use in SWO? I've seen lots of 'I think they are on xxx.xxxx but I'm not sure'.... I've also heard several times they use P25, but I've never seen any proof of that myself.
Forts. heard a 10-27,28,29 check on the Windsor Public Safety 800mhz system, officer IDing as Unit 199, not the usual number letter numbers ID for WPD. Drove upon a CP Police unit with a vehicle stopped @ the location given to Windsor PD dispatch. As far as the CP Police dispatch, I've seen two talk groups on Michigan Public Safety Communication System here on Radio Reference, but not monitored them

Last edited:

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Forts said:

Who, CN or CP?

Here in Toronto, CN Police have MT2000 portables and MCS2000 mobiles, so they are definatly not P25. I'm just not exactly sure what frequency they park themselves on. The officer I spoke to did however say they used their 10-4 phones (that bell PTT crap) for the most part.

icepick

exkalibur said:
Railway police in Canada (CN and CP) are fully sworn police officers, just the same as Toronto Police or the OPP and as such, can enforce the exact same laws. They have the pretty lights and carry guns.

You are correct, fully sworn and have the same powers throughout the country. Not sure about the pretty lights thought, although CN does have a couple stealth cars now and are switiching their marked cars over to low profile LED lightbars.

icepick

exkalibur said:
I spoke to did however say they used their 10-4 phones (that bell PTT crap) for the most part.

there's nothing for the most part about it brother..........thw 10-4 phones, suck. You get coverage.........sometimes, and you cant always hear complete messages.

I really like the fact that CP Police in Windsor have access to the Windsor PS system.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Here in Toronto, the CP Cruiser that came by the scene on the weekend up at Morningside and Old Finch was parked on a channel called "POLICE" and was on 161.115.

mciupa

Canadian DB Admin
exkalibur said:
Here in Toronto, the CP Cruiser that came by the scene on the weekend up at Morningside and Old Finch was parked on a channel called "POLICE" and was on 161.115.

Good to know if you are listening to CP in Toronto and they say " go to channel 4" :)

Thanks

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Correct, referred to by the train crews that use the channel as "CP4".

Used in the Toronto area for:

Mile 0 - 22 of the Mactier Sub (Osler to Bolton)

Mile 195.9 - 209 of the Belleville Sub (Neilsons to Don)

Mile 0 to 5.9 of the North Toronto Sub (Leaside to West Toronto)

Basically most of the rail ops in Toronto are on this frequency with the exception of the Galt Sub which is on CP1 161.4750.

The Signals & Communications guys are now using Mike phones and it's a good bet that CP Police have gone to Mike as well.

They used to be on 159.8850Mhz years ago but it's been pretty quiet ever since.

161.2350Mhz was the CN Police channel.

miser01

Retired CP Police Officer

Just for the record the CP Police are dispatched from Montreal using Mike phones throughout Canada and U.S.A. They also have radio frequencies for railway personnel on the trains. They are sworn Police Officers and have all powers of arrest as city and O.P.P.

Officers working the Windsor area also have radios with the Windsor Police frequencies for Officer safety issues. I do not know the frequencies of the Mike phones. If anyone has any questions regarding CP Police I will try to answer them.

icepick

As will I for any CN Police questions. I'm a constable out of the Sarnia Detachment. Just for info, we are also dispatched out of Montreal using the Mike phones. We will be switching to another communications system in the new year. In addition, dispatch can raise us via car radio in major centres like Toronto. In Sarnia, I have to tone the GTW police channel out of Port Huron Michigan to get the comm centre on the car radio.

ocscan

Premium Subscriber
icepick said:
As will I for any CN Police questions. I'm a constable out of the Sarnia Detachment. Just for info, we are also dispatched out of Montreal using the Mike phones. We will be switching to another communications system in the new year. In addition, dispatch can raise us via car radio in major centres like Toronto. In Sarnia, I have to tone the GTW police channel out of Port Huron Michigan to get the comm centre on the car radio.

That seams to make sense based on my monitoring and other peoples posts. One quick questions, do you have access to the Police Provincial Common from your in-car radio?

Thanks in advance.

icepick

ocscan said:
That seams to make sense based on my monitoring and other peoples posts. One quick questions, do you have access to the Police Provincial Common from your in-car radio?

Thanks in advance.

short quick answer..............yes!

Status
Not open for further replies.