Port Hope Police/Cobourg Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fish911

Port Hope Police has now gone encrypted and i'm not sure if it is possible to scan them.
From what I've heard it's not a high tec encryption, but again, I'm not to swift when it comes to scanning.
Can I challenge anyone to help me with this?
Cobourg Police will also be going encrypted.
Any help is appreciated.

mciupa

I'd like to believe that you are hearing the Haliburton tower (Fleetnet) coming through on 142.245 that you have programmed conventionally for PHPS.

Scannerdesk or hemi should know if the switch has been made.

edwardscott

On a related note, does anyone monitor south simcoe police? Do they still have the conventional channel on 142.125?

Cheers, ES

Fish911

nope i can promise it's not the fleetnet system. a company called TAS communications installed the new encrypted system. i "hope" it can still be monitored. word around is someone said something about a "chip" breaking the system, but again, i'm just repeating what i'm told and not exactly sure.

jellotor

Well, without specific information about the type of encryption this is all academic. To my knowledge, voice inversion is the only form of 'encryption' that can be relatively easily defeated...and even at that I'm not sure I'd want to be asking around on a public message board about how to listen to a specific encrypted frequency...might give some people the wrong idea.

Last edited:

radioman253

Premium Subscriber
cobourg / port hope police encryption...

driving this afternoon through Oshawa, I heard 142.245 PL 141.3 with what sounded like
inversion scrambling, along with some ( not all) transmissions that sounded like rolling code inversion scrambling like that you hear sometimes on CITY tv's channel on 453.7875
It would be worth trying a software decoding program on this one or use a descrambling circuit module that will work with simple voice inversion.

Is Cobourg using this as well? I hardly hear them anymore.
They used to boom into Oshawa on 142.485 PL156.7 but since OPP took over policing Hamilton twp.
it sounds like the repeater has either reduced power or reoriented their antenna.

Can anyone out in Northumberland advise if they are going to a new joint system for the county or otherwise

Gman
Oshawa

VA3DBJ

Ontario Database Admin
Database Admin
Cobourg is still clear here on 142.485 156.7hz. Its the old Rice Lake repeater. Their primary is the Cobourg city trunk system. I have heard that the Northumberland OPP supervisor vehicle has an old radio from the north units that allows them to communicate on the VHF repeater. Haven't heard them as of yet.

Port Hope, I am getting encryption on 142.245 141.3hz.

I would assume that if the Port Hope police have spent money on encryption units that the widening of the Cobourg trunk system must have been put on hold. At least for the time being.

Fish911

police forces here are like fighting brothers...cobourg will go encrypted within the next month. so another question is, if all these lil police forces are doing it...why doesn't toronto police spend the coin?

VA3DBJ

Ontario Database Admin
Database Admin
Not all comms on the Port Hope frequency is encrypted. There are still some open comms. Just heard a convo between two units, one encrypted and one not. Wondering if the one unit failed to be in the right mode. :)

mciupa

edwardscott said:
On a related note, does anyone monitor south simcoe police? Do they still have the conventional channel on 142.125?

Cheers, ES

I hear them (SSPS) "choppy" down here in TO on 142.125.

Jammin_Jay

No, i was refering to Port Hope P.D. As for Cobourg, Does the 142.485 still simulcast the Trunking system. As far as i know the radios have an option for an encryption module to be implemented if required with the cost being extra of course. Just curious which of the modules it is.

Last edited:

hemi

Well their is still alot of wrangling going on at theNorthumberland county council level about a county wide police force. A cost study has been underway for several months to see what would be the cheapest option Opp or a county style police force.

Fish911

latest joke from the local police force here...from what i heard, coppers arrested some people in connection with a robbery on tuesday...how the coppers found out about it...people with scanners called it in...looks like there won't be to many arrests happening once they go encrypted...they'll have even more spare time on their hands.
:)

acdc

someones bitter

Sounds to me like Fish 911 is bitter over something. Certainly the police in any community can continue to provide excellent service, whether their radios are encrypted or not.
I guess my question to you Fish 911 would be are you interested in listening for interests sake or there some other underlying reasons why you need to break the code??
It is always nice to have input from the public, and I think there has been an increase due to the number of people with cell phones. I know myself I have used my cell phone many times to assist the police when I have seen something that doesn't look just right!
It's our duty as good citizens of every community to assist. That's what makes them great communities to live in. Everyone has to assume ownership.
I suggest that if you want to know what the police are doing then just follow them around. You're probably one of these people who think they hang out at Tim's all the time. Maybe you could hang out there!

edwardscott

'Just follow them around? What kind of statement is that? I'd like to see you try that one.

ES

acdc said:
Sounds to me like Fish 911 is bitter over something. Certainly the police in any community can continue to provide excellent service, whether their radios are encrypted or not.
I guess my question to you Fish 911 would be are you interested in listening for interests sake or there some other underlying reasons why you need to break the code??
It is always nice to have input from the public, and I think there has been an increase due to the number of people with cell phones. I know myself I have used my cell phone many times to assist the police when I have seen something that doesn't look just right!
It's our duty as good citizens of every community to assist. That's what makes them great communities to live in. Everyone has to assume ownership.
I suggest that if you want to know what the police are doing then just follow them around. You're probably one of these people who think they hang out at Tim's all the time. Maybe you could hang out there!

acdc

edwardscott said:
'Just follow them around? What kind of statement is that? I'd like to see you try that one.

ES
How about a facetious/sarcastic statement!! Obviously I wouldn't try that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.