Rail scanning in the GTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I have a bank open on my 296 so I decided to give rail scanning a try again. When I grew up in Mtl, I lived near the massive St. Luc yards and enjoyed listening to the trains (it being one of the few radio activites not Ham that was allowed to be in English). Being here in Burlington probably gives me a good shot, Aldershot has CN running thru it and CP tracks go thru Waterdown and Burlington thru the north end.

I loaded in a bunch of frequencies from this site.

http://www.trainweb.org/railscan/freq.html

Would anyone with a general knowledge of rail scanning and/or a ARC file for a 296 have better frequencies?

I dont have the best antenna system, just a Diamond portable job, what is the genral range? I am south of the escarpment, gebrally it blocks me from getting anything to the north.

If anyone could PM or email or offer advice here I'd appreciate it greatly.
Eric

mciupa

Canadian DB Admin
Bryan has a great site , does't he ? :)

You may also want to use this link as an adjunct to that site:
http://www.niagararails.com/

That site doesn't have any more freq's than Bryan's , but has loads of interesting rail info for the Niagara region

Hope it can benefit you.

Cheers

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Thanks Mcuipa:
It has a lot of info, resp regarding old abandonned rail lines.

homerjay

Hello. Depending on what system you want to listen to. CN uses mainly 161.415, 160.665, 161.025, 160.935, 160.365 (this one is supposdly Aldershot switching freq), 161.205 for a Mixture between Oakville, Halton, Grimsby, and Dundas Subdivisions. As for CP it depends on the closet subdivision and mile on that sub you and close to. Some subs such as their Galt Sub uses different freq for the different milages. Also CP uses different freq for each different subdivision.

If you are looking to scan rail as well as watching the trains then I suggest picking up a copy of "Canadian Trackside Guide". It's available at Trains on Brant in Burlington. Rail was the main reason I bought my scanner and I quite enjoy it. The book covers all subdivisons in Canada from west to east including the frequencies for each. Also cover shorthline and regionals. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.