Now i am depressed :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalCarnage

Well, i am just finishing off exams, and havent been on here at all in about 5 months, so i figure i would login and check out whats going on, man was that a bad idea.

I am really starting to get bummed out about this recent surge of encrytped/Provoice/Telus iMike crap that is happening. First i lost my Durham Region Police, then i went up north to school (Thunder Bay) and after 5 months lost my Thunder Bay Police (ProVoice) and now after doing some reading it appears that everyone is going ProVoice and or Encrypted.

I would really truly like to believe that one day there will be a Provoice scanner, but i doubt that is going to happen anytime soon....i am just waiting for TPS to go digital and encrypted, then i will be heart broken :( lol

Anyone want to give me a hug, or more important, give my 796D a hug, she misses all the police activity...on the bright side i still get some OPP....

this ends my depressed scanner rant....

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Metal: Seeing how slowly and how efficiently our local/provincial/federal govt's work it will take them years to get their heads out of their asses, nothing said for them to argue/agree/debate/decide/fund new expensive radio systems.

That as close as a hug as you will get.

jellotor

Dammit, why do these threads keep popping up every month?

Metal, the horse is dead already, quit beating it. Yes, encryption is a trend. No, not every agency can afford it (yet) nor is it feasible (politically and financially) for every agency.

If you're generally concerned about the lack of police comms in the clear, why don't you get Clay Ruby on the horn and start some legal action? I'd love to see THAT go through the courts...

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
Yes this sounds like that damm old sad song we usually change the radio station on when they play it... Most agencies like Metro, Peel and York i can't see going to digital/encrypted any time soon.. They all just bought their systems so i can't see them drop a bucket of money to change it any time soon.. Guess the old saying applies here.. "If its not broken, why fix it?" Durham is a different animal... I miss Orangeville! :(

IMHO

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Chrome69 said:
Yes this sounds like that damm old sad song we usually change the radio station on when they play it... Most agencies like Metro, Peel and York i can't see going to digital/encrypted any time soon.. They all just bought their systems so i can't see them drop a bucket of money to change it any time soon.. Guess the old saying applies here.. "If its not broken, why fix it?" Durham is a different animal... I miss Orangeville! :(

IMHO

Chrome-I dont know if you know what you are talking about.
Even though I dont think municipalities will change quickly what do you mean that Peel, Metro, etc are new? Both systems are between 5-10 years, i know Metro switched over in the late 90's, same time as Peel. If anyone is in the know please back me up.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I wouldn't consider any of those systems as new by any means. All 3 have done recent upgrades but most of these systems were built out many years ago.

TPS and Peel already support digital (and encryption) so all that's really left to do is changeout the user gear. Since most radios seem to get changed out every 10 years, it wouldn't surprise me if any new gear bought is digital with encryption capabilities.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I wouldn't consider any of those systems as new by any means. All 3 have done recent upgrades but most of these systems were built out many years ago.

TPS and Peel already support digital (and encryption) so all that's really left to do is changeout the user gear. Since most radios seem to get changed out every 10 years, it wouldn't surprise me if any new gear bought is digital with encryption capabilities.

mciupa

Canadian DB Admin
MetalCarnage said:
..on the bright side i still get some OPP....

WOW ! Tough crowd. :twisted: I don't think the arrows are aimed at you personally , after all you've been absent for a while and just pointed out a trend that seems to be rolling out and tightening the noose around the GTA.( So long Orangeville and Port Hope):(

Let's talk about the bright side , are the OPP busy up that way ?
How many active towers can you receive ?
You must be getting some wicked weather and all the activity that goes along with it.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Graeme: No hard feelings? Hell look at his name
METAL CARNAGE!!!!
everything about the name is hard.
Think about it and pretend his name is a heavy metal band and then yell
METAL CARNAGE!!!!!! Like you would for Judas Priest.
I gotta stop taking drugs.
:) (all in good fun)

MetalCarnage

mciupa said:
WOW ! Tough crowd. :twisted: I don't think the arrows are aimed at you personally , after all you've been absent for a while and just pointed out a trend that seems to be rolling out and tightening the noose around the GTA.( So long Orangeville and Port Hope):(

Let's talk about the bright side , are the OPP busy up that way ?
How many active towers can you receive ?
You must be getting some wicked weather and all the activity that goes along with it.

OPP kinda sucks up in T-Bay, you would think it would be busy, but really, its pretty boring, not enough population to be anything fun, just the usual "someone is hunting on my property" , "report of dear hit on highway blah blah blah" nothing fun at all......and as far as wicked weather goes, i think Thunder bay has been warmer then toronto about 50% of the time for the last 3 months, we have about .3 cm's of snow on the ground.....i get about two towers fairly clear (about 5of6 bars) but usually catch mobile repeaters more. MOH and T-Bay fire i get crystal clear, and the airport is fun to listen to hear and there.

As far as my name goes, it doesnt have anything to do with music for those who think i am obsessed with Judas or Led. The name is based on the auto side of life, lol.

Anyways, i apologize if i beat a dead horse.....who is Clay Ruby, lol

MetalCarnage

BTW, i came down south to Ajax for the holidays, loaded the BC250D with my ol' Southern Ontario settings...missed the constant radio traffic of down here....up norht, 1-2 fire/ems calls an hour, here, 1 or 2 a minute, lol....good to be back

No probs at the airport either, it was nice, they didnt even look at it

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Clayton Ruby is a big shot Toronto lawyer.
I think Graeme wants to be him :).

I think we figured as much about the name referring to cars although it would be more fun for me anyway if the name meant you were into extreme metal.
Cradle of Filfth.

jellotor

I do refer to Clay Ruby a lot, don't I? Perhaps I'm just wishing that he'll take up one of my pointless crusades against something, make the perpetrators sweat and win me a big pile of money I can use to buy a new camera or two.

Actually, I do wish someone like him would get involved in the plight of my two coworkers who had troubles this past summer...here's hoping.

slicerwizard

jellotor said:
Actually, I do wish someone like him would get involved in the plight of my two coworkers who had troubles this past summer...here's hoping.
Yeah, that was utter BS. I'm sure it wasn't the front line cops, but rather their puppet masters who should be answering for that one.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Graeme: One of the afternoon guys at CHML has a blog about Caledonia and caught flack about comments made.
He mentioned your collegues quickly.
If you want info pm me

Status
Not open for further replies.