MDT Canada vs US

Status
Not open for further replies.

friedthat

Hey,
jsut really curious.
i see alot of posts about MDT's in the states and how it is "illegal" to decode because it is hooked up to NCIS and that only came to place in the the turn of this century.
BUT how does it work with Canada? what do we use here ( in terms of tech) ,l ike is it over cell frequencies or is some magical secret that no one is suppose to know? and is it encrypted or just encoded that a program can decode with out encryption? and is this for ALL agencies across canada or does it vary from province to province ( municipality )?

seamusg

friedthat said:
Hey,
jsut really curious.
i see alot of posts about MDT's in the states and how it is "illegal" to decode because it is hooked up to NCIS and that only came to place in the the turn of this century.
BUT how does it work with Canada? what do we use here ( in terms of tech) ,l ike is it over cell frequencies or is some magical secret that no one is suppose to know? and is it encrypted or just encoded that a program can decode with out encryption? and is this for ALL agencies across canada or does it vary from province to province ( municipality )?
The area I live in uses the cell phone network to send data to a computer system in the area, which has access to LEIN, it also has limited access to Cananain information, I can hear USBP and MSP check on Canadian drivers. I believe the over the air portion is encrypted. The laptops in the police cars use a special program to decode the data, and a special dataset in the car, which I believe handles the encryption part. The rest of it is a series of systems and databases a computer can access for various information. Usually it's a central system for an area that handles all the MDT and PSAP requests.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
It varies. Each department can have whatever RF interface they want. Around here, most of the police departments use some type of cellular interface. Forget it - it's encrypted.

If you're lucky enough to find one that isn't encrypted, by all means - go ahead and decode. It's not illegal. Just keep it to yourself. While it might not be illegal, it's certainly frowned upon by the gestapo.

Hooked up to NCIS? Man I love that show. NCIC is an American thing. CPIC is the Canadian one. However, recently, most of the police services up here are connected to NLETS - National Law Enforcement Telecommunications System. In the past, running American people would usually just come up with their record and that's about it. Now with NLETS, they can see *everything*, just the same as they can on a Canadian.

friedthat

exkalibur said:
Hooked up to NCIS? Man I love that show. NCIC is an American thing. CPIC is the Canadian one. .

Actually NCIS/NCIC are both used in the states!! NCIS = National Criminal Intelligence Service.
also alot of Canadian, US and UK police forces use Niche RMS, proudly made in Canada !

Anyways, so lets say public safety agencies on bell fleetnet, would they most likely have their MDT truly encrypted on some frequency that a scanner cannot pick up, or will it be on a conventional frequency? (that is, only for messages being sent to the terminal), and if so where would you find these frequencies?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
friedthat said:
Anyways, so lets say public safety agencies on bell fleetnet, would they most likely have their MDT truly encrypted on some frequency that a scanner cannot pick up, or will it be on a conventional frequency? (that is, only for messages being sent to the terminal), and if so where would you find these frequencies?

The OPP are using Bell Mobility's 1X cellular data service.

Status
Not open for further replies.