Peel System Quiet....

Status
Not open for further replies.

polo_762

Just what the title says...I'm monitoring the Peel Region system as I usually do, and it seems awfully quiet...I find it hard to believe that no one across the whole system is broadcasting...is the system down? I heard some traffic that sounded like Peel when searching the 900mHz band....

Or did they make 'the dreaded switch'? (cue dramatic music)

Last edited:

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
on a limb here but they captured the amber alert father/daughter up in Brampton at 5:30 or so (when the news broke on the radio)...
Radio silence?

mciupa

Canadian DB Admin
Cut the drama and listen on talkgroup 3312 , Miss. Fire is anticipating a flight with problems to land in eight minutes.

I'm sitting in the basement of my house , listening on a BC245 XLT(with a ducky no less)

everything is fine :) er.... except if you're on that plane ! :eek:

Last edited:

polo_762

hmmm, guess its my scanner then...weird, I hold on the control channel and I hear the data noise, but haven't picked up any voice traffic all evening...

polo_762

Anyone know if Radioworld diagnoses/fixes Uniden Scanners?

although I bought it new on ebay, it worked fine for months until today....dropped it yesterday onto a carpetted floor, hope its something thats fixable

polo_762

Its acting very strangely, its a 246, and it searches and lands on conventional frequencies just fine, but it won't trunk, but when I HOLD on a trunked system, I can hear the control channel loud and clear....what the hell did I do between yesterday and today to change that? Hmmm.....

pathalogical

mciupa said:
Cut the drama and listen on talkgroup 3312 , Miss. Fire is anticipating a flight with problems to land in eight minutes.

I'm sitting in the basement of my house , listening on a BC245 XLT(with a ducky no less)

everything is fine :) er.... except if you're on that plane ! :eek:
I heard that too, a Toronto EMS being dispatched to YYZ, dispatcher said the plane is now landing on runway 33. I switched to my air freqs and thought I heard "heart attack".

pathalogical

polo_762 said:
Its acting very strangely, its a 246, and it searches and lands on conventional frequencies just fine, but it won't trunk, but when I HOLD on a trunked system, I can hear the control channel loud and clear....what the hell did I do between yesterday and today to change that? Hmmm.....
When you HOLD on a Control Channel you will hear it as you've stated, however, you will only see the IDs on your display not hear the voice comms. You should HOLD on a TGID when it becomes active, that is, when you hear voices. If you have not programed individual IDs, keep your radio on SEARCH. Hope this helps, I don't recall if you are new to this hobby.

As far as dropping your radio, good thing it was on carpet ! I always use the wrist strap whenever I carry it, it has saved my 246 many times from kissing the floor. I dropped my Pro 46 and it still works fine.

slicerwizard

pathalogical said:
I dropped my Pro 46 and it still works fine.
Yeah, but it's a GRE, so that's not unusual. I dropped my 43 hard (four feet on to a steel rail while walking on the Bala sub); just a small dent to the front right corner that took the full impact. That was a week after another four foot drop to a concrete sidewalk. I don't do that any more. My two 43's still work great. One runs TRUNK88 24/7. Now if GRE would only come out with the ultimate trunk tracker.

pathalogical

slicerwizard said:
Yeah, but it's a GRE, so that's not unusual. I dropped my 43 hard (four feet on to a steel rail while walking on the Bala sub); just a small dent to the front right corner that took the full impact. That was a week after another four foot drop to a concrete sidewalk. I don't do that any more. My two 43's still work great. One runs TRUNK88 24/7. Now if GRE would only come out with the ultimate trunk tracker.
Yeah, kinda like the old cars from the 60s and 70s...you can drive them through a brick wall and all you have to do is blow the dust off your front bumper. They don't make anything like they used to. Plastic this and plastic that...plastic keyboard to type this out on...

slicerwizard

I had a '70 Chrysler Newport - it was a boat and a half. I wouldn't want to run it with today's gas prices though. And too much fiddling with the carb and points to keep it tuned up. My Hondas go 150,000 km before they even want new plugs.

On the upside, there was this one time back in '79 when a jerk in a BMW was racing up Yonge St, cutting everyone off, but he kept getting stuck behind left turning traffic (because he kept tailgating), so I ended up ahead of him in the curb lane at the lights near CHUM. When the light turned green, he was on the horn in about half a second, so I just sat there. He couldn't get around me (because he was tailgating as usual). When the light turned red, he got out, opened my door and grabbed me by my shirt. He was a big guy, so I pulled up ten feet (which nicely closed my door) and with him standing there watching me, I threw it in reverse and stepped on it. The Newport totally trashed the front end of his car and I drove off.

When the cops came and questioned me about it, I played dumb. Since they couldn't find a single dent on the solid steel rear bumper, they left. My undamaged bumper didn't jive with the thousands of dollars he and his insurance company were looking at. Never heard about it since.

polo_762

pathalogical said:
When you HOLD on a Control Channel you will hear it as you've stated, however, you will only see the IDs on your display not hear the voice comms. You should HOLD on a TGID when it becomes active, that is, when you hear voices. If you have not programed individual IDs, keep your radio on SEARCH. Hope this helps, I don't recall if you are new to this hobby.

As far as dropping your radio, good thing it was on carpet ! I always use the wrist strap whenever I carry it, it has saved my 246 many times from kissing the floor. I dropped my Pro 46 and it still works fine.

I don't think I explained it correctly.

When I press HOLD, it doesn't show any active talkgroups, but I still get the data noise, holding on any talkgroups that are active doesn't work either (I have my BCT8 running to see what's active, the 246t isn't picking up anything).

I've been doing this about 2 years, my 246 is about 5 months old, and worked fine till a couple of days ago.

I tried a new system, with ID search, and I'm picking up nothing. Not sure how it can not track trunked systems and still land on traffic when doing a service search.

Any ideas on ways to get this damn thing fixed? I mean, radioworld seems my only option..wonder if I can send it to Uniden, maybe its under warranty?

The only other thing I can think of is to re-initialize my memory and start from scratch, see if that works (tears up, thinking of all the time spent programming it)

Last edited:

slicerwizard

I tried a new system, with ID search, and I'm picking up nothing. Not sure how it can not track trunked systems and still land on traffic when doing a service search.
Sounds like the internal data slicer died.

Any ideas on ways to get this damn thing fixed? I mean, radioworld seems my only option..wonder if I can send it to Uniden, maybe its under warranty?
If it's only five months old, it should still have a warranty. You'll have to send it to Lectron in Peterborough. http://www.lectronradio.com/service.htm

The only other thing I can think of is to re-initialize my memory and start from scratch, see if that works (tears up, thinking of all the time spent programming it)
Download the ARC246 demo and use it to save your systems to disk. You can even use it to reload them after you do the reset (or when you get it back from Lectron)

polo_762

Lectron Radio eh?

I bought it over eBay from some dealer in NY, would Lectron still service it even though I didn't buy it there? Would there be a manufacturer's warranty that would cover it? (Damn, I need to find proof of purchase and a warranty card quick, good thing I kept the original packaging)....

slicerwizard

Well, they are an authorized Uniden repair centre, so why wouldn't they?

Do yourself a favour and save Lectron for last. Do your backups and reset. If that doesn't help, take it apart (it's only a few screws) and pull the boards apart and reseat their connectors. You just might be back in business.

pathalogical

polo_762 said:

Just a thought...which new system did you enter ? Give us a name. When I first got my 246, I entered pretty much all the systems that I could. Then, after a few weeks of listening to the radio, I noticed that some systems were dead silent, no activity, no hits, nada ! To name a few, AECON, and Elyps Dispatch Solutions. No known IDs appear under their system info either. I have since deleted them. Another possibility is some systems are very low power and you literally have to be right under their nose to hear them. Examples, Air Canada Center, Rogers Center and Air Canada (Peason Int Airport). Basically you have to be at the hockey game, in the SkyDome or in the Terminal to hear what's going on. Your 'non-working' radio sounds more like a missed step while programing and not a defective radio. You've indicated that your conventional and service searches work fine, I can't see just the trunking part of the radio breaking...but then, I'm not a techie

polo_762

The New System I tried was the Peel Region System, and I'm in the Middle of PRP 11 Division at the University of Toronto at Mississauga. Thus, I doubt its the system....

I'm going to try reinitializing the memory, and then taking it apart

After that, I'll let y'all know what happenned

polo_762

Oh my sweet Lord, its a Christmas Miracle!

I took it apart, separated all the circuit boards, and put it back together, now its working fine!

Many millions of thanks to all of you who offered tips and suggestions, especially slicerwizard!

Status
Not open for further replies.