local news frequencies ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grasshutt

Hi Everyone ....
Anyone know or have the frequencies used by local tv and news...
seems the always know what is going on before we do ...
Thanks .... GrassHutt

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Local tv and news???

Since this forum covers at least 5 provinces, you need to be a little more specific.

What's local to me is probably not local to you.

grasshutt

locals.....

ooops sory ...locals meaning.... windsor ontario ( A Channel / AM 800 CKLW) - Detroit Michigan Locals . thanks

mciupa

Canadian DB Admin
grasshutt said:
Hi Everyone ....
Anyone know or have the frequencies used by local tv and news...
seems they always know what is going on before we do ...
Thanks .... GrassHutt

But . . . they also monitor scanners , just as we do.
Be sure you have all area Emergency Services. Transit is also good if an incident involves traffic disruption.
At the start of some incidences , Security services could be important to have before the authorities are dispatched. Don't count out any resource. If your radio has the capacity "load it up" , one never know what freq. will come alive.

By the time the media gets wind of it , a lot of us scanner listeners are checking our mapping resources to get a "10-20"

VA3QRM

grasshutt said:
ooops sory ...locals meaning.... windsor ontario ( A Channel / AM 800 CKLW) - Detroit Michigan Locals . thanks
A channel and AM800 have 'mike' radios. Check the Radio Reference listings for Essex County, Kelcom II has one media outlet TG. Best of Luck.

mciupa

Canadian DB Admin
Oh . . , Detroit has some News Media freq's :

WDIV NBC: Channel 4

450.0875 (127.3 PL) Newsroom - Secondary
450.5875 (127.3 PL) Newsroom - Primary
450.6500 (127.3 PL) Remote Broadcasts

WJR, ABC: AM-760

450.7500 Newsroom

WWJ, CBS: Newsradio 950

450.4875 (127.3 PL) Newsroom
455.4875 ( EXPIRED) Remotes

jellotor

Two-ways are probably more prevalent in the states than in Ontario for news. Most operations use cellphones now for obvious reasons. I believe the only TV station in Ontario that still uses two ways regularly is CityTV in Toronto and that frequency is in the database.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
jellotor said:
I believe the only TV station in Ontario that still uses two ways regularly is CityTV in Toronto and that frequency is in the database.

Have fun with that one in a few months :)

jellotor

Well, like I said...cellphones are popular with news organizations for a reason. Actually, a few reasons, but whatever.

pathalogical

mciupa,
I know what you mean about 10-20s. I usually look 'em up on my MapArt books. It's getting to the point where I say to myself "I think I know where that street is, let me just check".

exkalibur,
Your post #8 sounds interesting. The incident a few weeks ago where mother and child jumped onto the 401, I was keeping an ear on citytv and I thought I heard the cameraman say something like ...I'll call you on trunking...

grasshutt

Locals

wow.... thanks for all the great info you guys .....got to love this site ... i belong to a lot of others (not scanner sites ) and i have to tell you this one is my fav..( of them all ) fast responce and over the top answers ... Thanks again GrassHutt (Mike)

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
pathalogical said:
exkalibur,
Your post #8 sounds interesting. The incident a few weeks ago where mother and child jumped onto the 401, I was keeping an ear on citytv and I thought I heard the cameraman say something like ...I'll call you on trunking...

They use a 900MHz LTR system provided by Telus for their Live-Eye stuff. That's most likely what you heard. The field cameras don't have access to that system, just the UHF one.

Funny how it's run by Telus eh? I bet they'd love to kick City off of that system and onto their more popular network.........

KE7JFF

I could of sworn that Traffic Reports are coordinated on UHF to the Media, but looking at my notes, I thought of the wrong city.

jellotor

Co ordinated from whom on UHF to the media? All of our traffic reports are handled by cold-calling the correct agency.

Are you talking about traffic choppers?

KE7JFF

Well, the notes for the city that does have this....it sounds like they just hire people to go drive out during rush hour and radio in the hold up.

grasshutt

i dont know about hireing people ... i do know they have listeners to the radio that they ask to call in ...doesnt cost as much ha ha ha

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
jellotor said:
Two-ways are probably more prevalent in the states than in Ontario for news. Most operations use cellphones now for obvious reasons. I believe the only TV station in Ontario that still uses two ways regularly is CityTV in Toronto and that frequency is in the database.

I am pretty sure that CKCO here in Kitchener are still on 2-way and VHF low-band to boot. Nothing like seeing a 40" whip swaying around on the top of a Chev Venture. :)

frankh

VA3QRM said:
A channel and AM800 have 'mike' radios. Check the Radio Reference listings for Essex County, Kelcom II has one media outlet TG. Best of Luck.
kelcom 2 definitely the best catch for monitoring local media(windsor star) but they're not happy about you listening into them. LOL

VA3QRM

Windsor Star unhappy?

frankh said:
kelcom 2 definitely the best catch for monitoring local media(windsor star) but they're not happy about you listening into them. LOL
Sorry I 'let the cat out of the bag', I'm not happy with reading the Star's newspaper for what the subscription costs either, are we even now?

Status
Not open for further replies.