Wellington County new dispatch system

Status
Not open for further replies.

polkaroo

http://216.183.28.101:8080/FMPro?-d...&-max=20&-recid=12619417&-find=&-max=1&-find=

Council looking at new emergency dispatch system

By Sarah McGoldrick
12/20/2006

The final meeting of council before the holidays, dealt with a number of housekeeping matters.
Leading the meeting of December 18th was a presentation by Centre Wellington Fire Chief Brad Patton on the establishment of a polygon system to help municipalities determine who will respond to emergency calls.
Patton noted many communities share similar street names which make it difficult for dispatchers to determine which department should respond. The result is longer response times.
"I was a little surprised this hadn’t been implemented," said Patton.
In the report written by Community Emergency Management Coordinator Linda Dickson, who was unable to attend the meeting, the scope of the problem was outlined in greater detail.
It noted many communities share dispatching services which are out of the service area. This means dispatchers are unfamiliar with the area and require further steps to locate emergencies.
London, for example, is the dispatch centre for the Wellington County OPP, while Cambridge is the dispatch centre for Royal City Ambulance.
"The polygon system allows dispatchers to determine which fire department to respond to which jurisdiction," said Patton.
The Guelph Fire Department handles the dispatching for 12 of the 13 volunteer fire departments in Wellington County.
The recommendation brought before council requested the County front the initial cost of setting up the system, with the municipalities handing any additional costs.
The expected start up cost is $34,744 including the cost of County planning personnel.
When asked what future costs may be anticipated, Patton answered the system would be a one-time purchase.
"I don’t anticipate any future costs. This is a one-time set up," he said, adding a potential cost may be splitting the system again between Fergus and Elora.
Council approved the decision to send the recommendation to the County. This will allow the system to be included in the 2007 budget process. Further review from other municipalities is still pending.

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
The Guelph Fire Department handles the dispatching for 12 of the 13 volunteer fire departments in Wellington County.

Guelph just took over dispatching for Clifford, Harriston and Palmerston from Hanover, the only department in Wellington County not dispatched by Guelph is Mount Forest.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
When they talk about a "polygon" system, are they talking about a Computer Aided Dispatch system that recommends the assignments based upon a polygon drawn around the fire station locations?

I am guessing that 13 VFDs = 13 townships in the county. Right?

Peter S - Arlington MA

motomeso

Premium Subscriber

Gearjam

ve3nsv said:
Wellington County has 7 Townships plus the City Of Guelph with 14 rural departments and 1 full-time department in the city.

Guelph - Guelph Fire Department
Puslinch - Puslinch Fire Department
Centre Wellington - Fergus / Elora Fire Departments
Wellington North - Arthur (Mount forest dispatched by Hanover)
Minto - Palmerston / Harriston / Clifford
Erin - Hillsburg / Erin
Guelph / Eramosa - Rockwood Fire
Mapleton / Moorefield - Drayton / Moorefield Fire

Departemnts

Maybe this Is why I havent heard Rockwood Fire for months now, what freq. are they on now? It use to be 153.77000

Thanks for any Info on this

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
They aren't referred to as Rockwood - Try listening for Guelph Eramosa Fire department.

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
ve3nsv said:
They aren't referred to as Rockwood - Try listening for Guelph Eramosa Fire department.
On the same freq? 153.77000 Is that still the general dispatch? RR is a bit limited on the info for what areas this freq would cover. Is Erin on that as well

Last edited:

Gearjam

thanks for clearing that up

ve3nsv said:

I think they use to page them as "Rockwood Fire Fighters"....But thanks for clearing that up. It sure has been silent In Rockwood Or I have been away when there's broadcasts, Thanks for explaining that,I will Listen on 153.77000 for Guelph Eramosa

Dan

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
All Wellington County departments are dispatched (paged) on that frequency.

Chrome69 said:
On the same freq? 153.77000 Is that still the general dispatch? RR is a bit limited on the info for what areas this freq would cover. Is Erin on that as well

cuzinit001

Premium Subscriber
This is sad, hear the pages but the fire coms heard before from Mt. Forest, Clifford, Harriston, Palmerston have gone quiet. It's to bad political decisions effect some good listening.

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
cuzinit001 said:
This is sad, hear the pages but the fire coms heard before from Mt. Forest, Clifford, Harriston, Palmerston have gone quiet. It's to bad political decisions effect some good listening.

This thread only mentions the method of dispatching is to change.

What information do you have that frequencies have changed?

cuzinit001

Premium Subscriber
Mike_Oxlong said:
This thread only mentions the method of dispatching is to change.

What information do you have that frequencies have changed?
I don't think frequencies have changed, I live 2 blocks away from the old dispatch in Hanover. I think I was hearing the fire coms through there somehow..
Frank

hypersight

Has anybody heard Wellington County Fire on 153.770 lately? It used to come in loud and clear here in Bolton, but I haven't picked anything up on that frequency for a while now.

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
Define a while? You should be able to hear them fine in Bolton and they still dispatch on that channel.

hypersight

ve3nsv said:
Define a while? You should be able to hear them fine in Bolton and they still dispatch on that channel.

Well, about 3 weeks I haven't noticed them on. Perhaps my scanner is busy stopping on other channels - I do have lots of channels and systems programmed in. It just seems that I heard them quite a bit before.

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
I heard then this afternoon and i am in Miss np... I just heard a Erin Call at 9:08pm for a bon fire.....

Last edited:

mciupa

Canadian DB Admin
I hear Eramosa , Hillsburgh etc. on 153.770 (listening from NW Toronto)

Put it on Priority today , I'm sure they'll break in at least once.

Status
Not open for further replies.