Question about Mobile Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
Why is it our Car stereos can work in really cold temps here but our mobile scanners are more sensitive to the cold? I noticed this and wondered why my car stereo can work in -20 Celsius but our scanners can't? Any thoughts? I know the 785 and BCT15 can only work to -10 Celsius

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
Your scanner doesn't work below -10c? The only thing I find is the LCD display is usually slow to respond in extremely cold temps, other then that my scanners usually functions normally.

What problems are you seeing?

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
Thats the problem the display, but why is it the car radio display works fine but our scanners don't?

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
Can anyone suggest a good place to go to get a BCT15 installed into my dash of my car? I want to mount it under my Car stereo.... I'd do it myself but don't want to wreck my dash..

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
Chrome69 said:
Thats the problem the display, but why is it the car radio display works fine but our scanners don't?

I don't know what type of stereo is in your car but it probably doesn't have an LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) and isn't affected by the cold like your scanner is. Buy a remote starter or park your car in the garage and all your problems will go away. :)

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
it does have a digital display of some sort... Remote Starter wont happen in my car... Just going to work on getting it dash mounted.. Need to find a DIN-E sleeve... Seeing if Radio World or Durham have them or can get it less then the Uniden store will sell it for.. $34 shipped usd....

wyldman

Most liquid crystal displays do not work in extreme cold.The liquid is no longer liquid. :D

Most car stereo displays are not LCD,but LED,which is not affected by the cold.

If you want to mount a BCT-15 in the dash,I'm sure we could fab something up.We'll have to spend a night at the shop,and see where we can fit it in. :D

homerjay

wyldman said:
Most liquid crystal displays do not work in extreme cold.The liquid is no longer liquid. :D

Most car stereo displays are not LCD,but LED,which is not affected by the cold.

If you want to mount a BCT-15 in the dash,I'm sure we could fab something up.We'll have to spend a night at the shop,and see where we can fit it in. :D

Wyldman is right. Cars do come with LED displays behind the radio to illuminate it. I have an after-market radio in my truck with a full LCD screen and it it very sluggish in the cold until the vehicle heats up. My BCT8 which is in my truck, acts just the same until it warms up.

Status
Not open for further replies.