Could you have scanner in Canada ? and can you get through customes with them ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundman

Could someone give me some info on the laws on have scanners in Canada .I have a person that would like to buy one and I am going to send it with my bro when he goes to Canada next week .Will he be ok if he goes through customes or will he get stoped .I really don't know the laws about carring them on a plane .Do you think it may be safer to mail it ?
Thanks
Guys

grasshutt

brought mine accross bridge with no problem .... bought it at Radio Shack in Detroit

MetalCarnage

Soundman said:
Could someone give me some info on the laws on have scanners in Canada .I have a person that would like to buy one and I am going to send it with my bro when he goes to Canada next week .Will he be ok if he goes through customes or will he get stoped .I really don't know the laws about carring them on a plane .Do you think it may be safer to mail it ?
Thanks
Guys
I take mine on the plane all the time in my carry on, they dont even make me take it out half the time

My Uniden Bearcat 996t arrived last week from Grove Enterprises in the U.S. and customs never even opened the box. I paid the gst and pst on the canadian dollar price of the unit and there is no duty as it was listed as amateur radio equipment.
I am a long time magazine subscriber with them so using my credit card over the phone was no problem.
I highly recommend them.

jimlawrence

I crossed the U.S.- Canada border several times last summer in Montana, Saskatchewan, North Dakota, Manitoba, Ontario and Michigan with three scanners in my car and never had a bit of trouble with either country's customs agents. I also had a mag mount antenna on my car and never attracted any radio-related questions at all. In fact, the basketball I was carrying in the back of my car drew more attention {friendly/joking} than my radios.

N

nec208

Well is digital scanners still illegal in Canada?

I would use caution taking any electronic stuff in your car they may think you are a terrorist.And some cops can be picking in some areas they look for park cars or suspicion stuff.

And make sure you have ID and passport because most cops in the US don't bargain.I was at a airport and had laptop and had to turn it on for them this was after the terrorist attack so security is high .

I think some states it is illegal to have a scanner in a car but at your home there is no problem.

MetalCarnage

nec208 said:
Well is digital scanners still illegal in Canada?

I would use caution taking any electronic stuff in your car they may think you are a terrorist.And some cops can be picking in some areas they look for park cars or suspicion stuff.

And make sure you have ID and passport because most cops in the US don't bargain.I was at a airport and had laptop and had to turn it on for them this was after the terrorist attack so security is high .

I think some states it is illegal to have a scanner in a car but at your home there is no problem.

Digital scanners are not illegal and canada and i personally dont remember anyone ever saying they were at one point

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Uniden seems to think you need a permit/license for them...but this has been disproved long ago. There is currently no legislation on the books that says you require any kind of permit/license/certificate to use a digital scanner in Canada. The only mention of it is an internal policy circular inside Indsutry Canada which speaks to how digital licenses/permits would be issued, should the requirement ever arise.

KE7JFF

The one time I took Greyhound across the border to Canada about 2 years back, I had my scanner with me. Customs agent asked me what "that" was and I said "radio scanner" and he said "Oh ok" and let me go.

N

nec208

Well I know before when you went to radioworld you need to put some thing on paper and you where to have a license or license it.I don't know if you need license or not now or have to put some thing on paper to get a digital scanner .

When you get a digital scanner do you need a license or have to license it? What about the permit or have put some thing on paper.

On a side note scanners are very cheap in the US.They want $800 for the BC-D396T at radioworld !!!

jellotor

As stated before, there is no such thing as a digital scanner license.

It's amazing how this rumour continues on lo these many years.

N

nec208

When I got scanner at radioworld I had to put some stuff on paper than send some papers to the government but I don't know if they still do that?

jellotor

Whatever hoops Radioworld makes you jump through in order to spend money at their store is Radioworld's business. It's not an IC document. There's no such thing as a digital scanner license.

radio62

nec208 said:
When I got scanner at radioworld I had to put some stuff on paper than send some papers to the government but I don't know if they still do that?

There is currently no requirement to put any "stuff" on paper at Radioworld in order to
purchase a digital scanner. Hasn't been for a quite a while now.

Status
Not open for further replies.