MNR Handheld or Portable Radio's

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Hello there, this is Coolguy. I have something that I would like answered if anyone on here can hopefully answer it forme.

My question is: I am from Chapleau, in Zone 3. I am just wondering if anyone on here would happen to know the frequency that the MNR Guys use for their Handheld or Portable Radio's, like when they are out of their Vehicles and need to talk to North Bay or another MNR Guy. Would they have one (a Frequency) for it or no. Because I am just thinking if they would have one, just like the OPP does, they have a Portable Radio. Because if the MNR Guys do have one, I am just curious to know what it is. I have been wondering this for awhile.

So any help would be appreciated.

I will be waiting for any reply(ies) to this Post. Thanks.

Coolguy

SCPD

QRT
Hello again.

So that freq: 413.2625 PL of 110.9 hz, I would hear them on that freq when they talk either to each other (Like MNR Guy to MNR Guy) or (MNR to North Bay).

Also would I hear them on there all the time when they are talking, just like you would hear the OPP on the VR Repeaters of 410.8625.

Are they are different than the OPP, where you will only hear them (The MNR) when they are using their Portables. And if that is the case (as in, when they are using their Portables). Then would you have to be in range of the MNR Guy(s) talking to hear them. Let me know. That is another thing I am curious about and would like to know.

One other thing. That PL of 110.9 hz. Do I need to put that in to be able to hear them to or when I just put the freq in with out it will I still hear them. Let me know.

I will be waiting for any reply(ies) to these 4 questions that I just asked. Thanks.

Coolguy

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I'm sorry but your english is difficult to understand. I'll try my best to answer your question.

That frequency is used when an MNR officer is out of his vehicle and is carrying his portable. You will hear whatever talkgroup his mobile radio is on.

You do not need the pl tone. You can get away with just entering the frequency.

Keep in mind that these repeaters are low powered, there are fewer MNR officers then OPP officers and they are not out of their vehicles as much as the OPP are.

Chances are you will rarely hear them. I've only managed to snag a few transmissions.

You would be much better off listening to their conversations on Fleetnet.

SCPD

QRT
Hello again. Sorry about my English Mike. I tried to put it the best way I could, so you can answer it.

So like you said, when the MNR Guys are talking to say North Bay or another Unit, I will hear them on their Portables also. Just like the OPP when they are talking, you can hear them on the VR Repeater (410.8625) all the time, unless their (VR) is turned on (when you hear those Beeps, which tell you that the VR Repeater is activated). Let me know.

Or would I only hear them if they are using their Portables. Not all the time like the OPP on their VR Repeater (410.8625). Let me know

Would that be the same thing to for the MNR Guys. You will only hear them if there Portables are activated. Or are they different, and their Portables are always activated, so you will hear them all the time. Let me know.

Actually I don't really hear them talk that much anymore. I only hear them when they check in with North Bay or if North Bay is checking in with them.

Also to let you know I can hear them from all over, not just our guys here in Chapleau. I can here them in Timmins, Hwy 144, Gogama, Hwy 11 (places up in and around that area), North Bay, and places around Hwy 17 and that. So I get to hear what is going on in other places to.

I will be waiting for any reply(ies) to these 3 questions that I just asked. The ones I would like answered are the ones with the "LET ME KNOW" at the end of it. Thanks again.

Coolguy

SCPD

QRT
Hello again.

Just to let you know. That I did put that freq into my other scanner that I have. When I heard the MNR talking on my Digital Scanner. I put my other Scanner on the MNR Portable freq, I didn't hear anything on it.

So I just want to confirm here to make sure that I am correct on this, that's all.

So I will only hear all the MNR Guys on their Portables( from all those places that I mentioned in my last post), when they are using them or will I only hear the MNR Guys from here in Chapleau, when they are using them. Because of the range of their Radio's. So I have to be near them to hear them on their Portables. Let me know.

And so they are not like the OPP then, where you will hear them all the time. If their Portables are activated. Let me know.

So like I said. I just want to confirm here to make sure I heard you right with what you said that is all I want to know.

So I will be waiting again for any reply(ies) to the 2 questions with the "LET ME KNOW' at the end of them. Thanks again.

Coolguy.

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
coolguy said:
Hello again.

Just to let you know. That I did put that freq into my other scanner that I have. When I heard the MNR talking on my Digital Scanner. I put my other Scanner on the MNR Portable freq, I didn't hear anything on it.

So I just want to confirm here to make sure that I am correct on this, that's all.

Yes, you are correct. You need an MNR guy close to you (within a few km's) on the same talkgroup out of his vehicle. Unless those conditions are met, you will not hear anything. Like I said before, I have only heard transmissions on this frequency a couple of times.

coolguy said:
So I will only hear all the MNR Guys on their Portables( from all those places that I mentioned in my last post), when they are using them or will I only hear the MNR Guys from here in Chapleau, when they are using them. Because of the range of their Radio's. So I have to be near them to hear them on their Portables. Let me know.

Once again, you will only hear transmissions on this frequency when an MNR officer is close to you and has his mobile repeater activated. This is probably not very often unless you live near an MNR office where the Conservation Officers hang out.

SCPD

QRT
Hello again.

Ok. I understand now. Just the reason why I was asking, was because I thought that the MNR Portables would be something like the OPP's Portables, where you always get to here them (the OPP) when their Portables are activated. But now I can see that is not the case.

Also just to let you know. That I do live close to our MNR Building. But I don't usually hear them talk from the office or outside of the building. Only usually if they are out somewhere.

But I would like to hear something on their Portables, so then I will be all set.

So thanks again Mike for answering all of my questions. I appreciate it.

Coolguy.

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
coolguy said:
Ok. I understand now. Just the reason why I was asking, was because I thought that the MNR Portables would be something like the OPP's Portables, where you always get to here them (the OPP) when their Portables are activated. But now I can see that is not the case.

Yes, the MNR portables and the OPP portables work exactly the same.

It's just there are less Conservation Officers then OPP Officers and they tend to use their portables outside of their vehicles less often.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
I may be opening a can of worms by asking this, but if you already have a digital scanner why would you worry about if you could hear the portables or not.

Even if they use portables they'd still be repeating back to the digital system through the car's radio system. Correct?

DaveH

IdleMonitor said:
I may be opening a can of worms

Yum, I had one of those for breakfast this morning... :)

Having an analog radio on the VRs even in addition to a digital
scanner isn't necessarily too redundant. It would allow for
simultaneous reception of different TGs.

Dave

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
IdleMonitor said:
I may be opening a can of worms by asking this, but if you already have a digital scanner why would you worry about if you could hear the portables or not.

Even if they use portables they'd still be repeating back to the digital system through the car's radio system. Correct?

That is true, however with the Futurecom VRS's in the vehicles, they have the option of using it as a stand-alone (IE, not repeating onto Fleetnet) repeater for local comms. I've heard the OPP do this a few times in the past...so the only way to hear these comms is to scan the UHF portable frequencies as well.

SCPD

QRT
Hello again.

That is true. The OPP used to use their Portable Radio's just for talking to each other when they were not talking to North Bay COMM Centre. I used to always listen to them on their old Portable Radio's when they were on that OLD NOR System.

So when you say: so the only way to hear these comms is to scan the UHF portable frequencies as well. Do you mean the 400 MHz Freq's, like between 408.000 MHz - 430.000 MHz. Let me know.

If that is what you mean. I usually scan those when I hear the MNR Talking to North Bay COMM Centre, but I am yet to hear anything related to the MNR on those Freq's. I would like to hear them on their Portables. Let me know.

Because since I have 2 Scanners. And say while my BC796D is on the OPP, because they are talking. I would have their (the MNR Portable freq(s)) on my other NON Digital Scanner so I can hear them on there. This way I won't miss anything when they talk. That is exactly what I am doing with the OPP. I have their VR Repeather Freq (410.8625) in my NON Digital Scanner. So I can hear them on there. If I happen to miss them on my BC796D (that is if their VR Repeather is activated).

So that is they reason why I would like to have their Portable Freq(s).

I will be waiting for any reply(ies) to this Post to the 2 questions that I just asked with the "LET ME KNOW" at the end of them. Thanks again.

Coolguy

Status
Not open for further replies.