tow truck frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nec208

Does anyone know the tow truck frequencies in Peel ? And how many scanners do they have and what do they monitor only one police division or the city or region?

I thought the tow trucks had areas like East Brampton or west Brampton .Many times you will see 2 or 3 tow trucks at the 410 and Bovaird or Queen and Torbram .Well because if you see MVC at Bovaird and Torbram you seem to get the tow trucks coming from the weat and like 5 or more tow truck come up at a 3 car MVC.

They don't seem to go to PD accidents calls or DUI calls why is that ?

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Because generally speaking, police services have their own tow contracts setup for DUI calls - it's not on a "first on scene gets the hook" like accidents usually are.

Typically, tow trucks will have 1 radio per channel, so in Peel if a tow sticks to Mississauga, you'll usually find them with 1 for 11 Div, 1 for 12 Div, 1 for Transit (extra set of eyes remember), 1 for EMS and 1 for Fire.

I saw a truck in Toronto that had about a dozen radios...you just don't want to take the chance of missing something.

As for frequencies, they're all over the board. Some are on Toronto 1, some are on MBC's LTR systems, some use iDEN, etc... If you're looking for a specific tow company, someone might be able to help you better.

polo_762

I've always wondered. Peel Regional Police often say "no more tows at (insert location here)" I'm assuming that is for the benefit of the tow truck drivers with scanners, b/c I can't imagine dispatch caring either way.....
Any thoughts?

phyberoptics

Premium Subscriber
polo_762 said:
I've always wondered. Peel Regional Police often say "no more tows at (insert location here)" I'm assuming that is for the benefit of the tow truck drivers with scanners, b/c I can't imagine dispatch caring either way.....
Any thoughts?

You are exactly right.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
There is also a charge under the HTA when there are sufficient tows on scene, any other tows within a certain distance can be charged, so it also helps the tows avoid that :)

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
exkalibur said:
There is also a charge under the HTA when there are sufficient tows on scene, any other tows within a certain distance can be charged, so it also helps the tows avoid that :)

I have seen a few peel officers hit them with that one.... They get a bit pissed when 12 tow trucks show up for a 2 car accident...

N

nec208

>Because generally speaking, police services have their own tow contracts setup for DUI >calls - it's not on a "first on scene gets the hook" like accidents usually are.

Seems like that for DUI calls , and PD calls they don't show up only MVC calls.Well even fire and EMS don't show up for PD calls .

>Typically, tow trucks will have 1 radio per channel, so in Peel if a tow sticks to >Mississauga, you'll usually find them with 1 for 11 Div, 1 for 12 Div, 1 for Transit (extra >set of eyes remember), 1 for EMS and 1 for Fire.

Well fire will be hard because they have more than one channel.I would think they would have to scan the fire channels.

>I saw a truck in Toronto that had about a dozen radios...you just don't want to take the >chance of missing something.

I thought they have area in city?

>As for frequencies, they're all over the board. Some are on Toronto 1, some are on >MBC's LTR systems, some use iDEN, etc... If you're looking for a specific tow company, >someone might be able to help you better.

And can you pick this up with a BC250D? I thought Toronto 1 is the public safety band?

phyberoptics

Premium Subscriber
Well fire will be hard because they have more than one channel.I would think they would have to scan the fire channels.

For Peel region they only need to listen to the dispatch (Ops 1 for Miss, Ops 5 for Brampton).

After the calls have been dispatched, the responding units change to the Tactical TG that is assigned by the dispatcher for the call (Tac 2, Tac 3, Tac 4 for Miss, Tac 6, Tac 7, Tac 8 for Brampton).

Once the tows hear the call dispatch, they have no need to listen to the remainder of the call.

N

nec208

I would still think the tow trucks would have a area like west side or east side of the city and not just drive all over.

I know in Vaughan at weston RD. and 7 seems to be big spot for tow trucks may be because they are by the 400 and 407 ?

phyberoptics

Premium Subscriber
The drivers in Brampton *generally* have an area that they cover, but this is more of a mutual arrangement, with nothing cast in stone.

None the less, the corner they sit at has nothing to do with what they listen to on the radios. If they are in 21 Div, they still monitor everything going. Trust me when I say they have themselves well covered for listening to calls. They listen to things I would have never thought of, and each driver has his own way of listening. Personally, I'd go crazy with all that chatter, but it works for them, they can't afford to miss calls...

lorne

why all the fasination

i find it weird that so many people are facinated by the tow trucks.
and that they coment on how it works but are totally wrong.

anyway we change our listening channels acording to where we are at any givinn time
some guys stay in one place and work a area if the area has a lot of accidents you can be shure that thier will be competion for that area or street corner....the toughest guys get to work the busiest areas.
as for the hta charge for to many trucks on a acc. yes it gets handed out often and the police dont even understand the charge when to do hand it out most of the time.
sec 171 of the hta.
it needs to be rewritten. i fight this charge at least once a year and beat it ever time..

Status
Not open for further replies.