Control Channels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
This i am sure has been asked before but here goes.. If you program a system with control channels only will you miss some calls? If not what is the point of putting all FREQ in then? For example programming in TPS their is 8 control channels on the 4 towers so will it make the scanning faster to use control channels only or will you lose calls?

Did that make any sense? :roll:

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Chrome69 said:
This i am sure has been asked before but here goes.. If you program a system with control channels only will you miss some calls? If not what is the point of putting all FREQ in then? For example programming in TPS their is 8 control channels on the 4 towers so will it make the scanning faster to use control channels only or will you lose calls?

Did that make any sense? :roll:
Made sense...the answer is, if you have a voice freq programmed in MOT mode, it will be ignored (not even scanned). If that freq gets assigned by the CC, the scanner will display the freq and talkgroup as recognized by the CC...never as how you have it programmed in the scanner. Does programming the VC slow the scanner down? If not scanned anyway, it shouldn't matter. The scanner will depart the CC (when no activity is occouring) to sample a non Mot freq, another CC (GRE scanner) or another active bank.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
Chrome69 said:
This i am sure has been asked before but here goes.. If you program a system with control channels only will you miss some calls? If not what is the point of putting all FREQ in then?

As far as I know, the thing about entering ALL the frequencies for trunked systems came about due to the first generation of scanners limitations and copyright issues. Scanners have come a long way and nowadays should work pretty close to the real radios which use the same method. So only the control channels are needed to be programmed. In fact, on the RS/GRE Pro-96/2096, it makes no difference if you enter all the freqs since it's "hard-wired" to control channel-only mode.

So to answer your question more directly, you should NOT miss any calls being in control channel only mode. In fact, you should be less likely to miss calls, because if they happen to add more frequencies to the system, the scanner will automatically use those too, all transparently to you just like for the users of the system.

hankv

Chrome69 said:
This i am sure has been asked before but here goes.. If you program a system with control channels only will you miss some calls?

Not if you enter all of the Control Channels - but not all Control Channels are identified in some of the DB listings. :twisted:

If they switch to a previously unidentified Control Channel, you will hear nothing as happened to this person in Florida - http://radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60869

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Case in point;
Earlier this week Hamilton Fleetnet tower's control channel switched to the alternate
142.800 for a few hours.
Seen this also on Haltons Burlington tower and on Toronto South Zone.

RayK

What you can do is program the primary and secondary control channel ,so if they do switch
you won't lose coverage ,that what I've done with my pro-97 . Works great. Ray

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
RayK said:
What you can do is program the primary and secondary control channel ,so if they do switch
you won't lose coverage ,that what I've done with my pro-97 . Works great. Ray

Of course you would do that, even using RR in ARC software does that..

Status
Not open for further replies.