Richmond hill fire station 81

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nec208

Anyone know what is going on with the main fire station in Richmond hill fire station 81 it is a very big fire station the last time I was there they had 1 pumper truck,3 ladder trucks and 1 rescue truck and some other trucks !! But I hear things on the scanner like fire alarms and structure fire calls and they sent 1 truck from station 81 and trucks coming from other stations !!! And the call can be 1 minute a way from station.

Well what is going on?

mciupa

Perhaps workload balance and not having one hall not completely depleted of it resources.

For instance, where I work at Islington & 401 there has been some false alarms due to renovations from contractors going on.

The usual complement of apparatus is: a Rescue and a Command vehicle from Stn. 413 (Kipling & Albion) Platform 415 (Kipling & Rexdale) a pumper from either Stn .443 (Islington & Eglinton) or a pumper from Stn.441 (Martingrove & Dixon) depending on I guess who is available.
Also would you want one hall repeatedly going out on calls while another hall "waits" for something closer by ?
Kevin would be a good person to answer this query on York FS policy.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I haven't been there and can't offer a definitive answer - even when I lived in Ontario, I was a far ways away from that part of the GTA - but I have some input..

Three aerials? Is it maybe headquarters, a maintenance shop, or are some of those actually 'quints' (pumpers that happen to have an aerial on them)? Stations are more likely to have multiple pumpers than multiple aerials.

Could some be reserve units or spares? Where I live/work these days, we have many stations which have spare pumpers, aerials, etc., parked there because that's where we have room to put them.

"Workload balance" isn't generally an immediate concern in the fire service, IMO. If an emergency is reported, you want the closest crew going, period. Here, they used to do that sort of thing with select stations, where two pumpers were in each - leaving one pumper "untouchable" until the other one was sent out on a call, and only then they could be used. Since our response for a typical building fire is two pumpers, and aerial, and a rescue, that meant often the "untouchable" pumper was left in station while another, more distant pumper, served as the 2nd in rig. That was squelched a few years ago, when the pumpers finally became "touchable" and now go on all calls. :)

Sorry for the ramble - but maybe some of it is the reason that station 81's full complement doesn't go on every call.

mbstone99

Station 8-1

Jay said:
I haven't been there and can't offer a definitive answer - even when I lived in Ontario, I was a far ways away from that part of the GTA - but I have some input..

Three aerials? Is it maybe headquarters, a maintenance shop, or are some of those actually 'quints' (pumpers that happen to have an aerial on them)? Stations are more likely to have multiple pumpers than multiple aerials.

Could some be reserve units or spares? Where I live/work these days, we have many stations which have spare pumpers, aerials, etc., parked there because that's where we have room to put them.

"Workload balance" isn't generally an immediate concern in the fire service, IMO. If an emergency is reported, you want the closest crew going, period. Here, they used to do that sort of thing with select stations, where two pumpers were in each - leaving one pumper "untouchable" until the other one was sent out on a call, and only then they could be used. Since our response for a typical building fire is two pumpers, and aerial, and a rescue, that meant often the "untouchable" pumper was left in station while another, more distant pumper, served as the 2nd in rig. That was squelched a few years ago, when the pumpers finally became "touchable" and now go on all calls. :)

Sorry for the ramble - but maybe some of it is the reason that station 81's full complement doesn't go on every call.

I believe if I remember correctly when I lived up there that this is the main fire station in RH and serves most of the old downtown. It's on Major Mac next door to the YRP police station.

Matt

KevMuskoka

Richmond Hill 8-1

Over the years they have done quite a re-structure of Richmond Hill it seems, but from what I last remember about a call dispatched they have a Pumper (811) and Aerial (816) and the Platoon Chief (C83). I believe they also have a tanker in that hall, (814). But, that may have changed.

They would send the closest trucks, they wouldn't leave the aerial sitting there for a call needing at least two trucks in their area.

That said, the aerial might be the first truck that they would downstaff if they didn't have available staffing. The firefighters were 5 years out of contract and just signed a new contract this week. Staffing issues may have been happening due to the contract (that NEVER happens).

They do have a couple of spare apparatus, but I'm not sure where they are housed. I know one of their aerials has been in Vaughan's mechanical division this past week getting major repairs done.

Kevin P.

N

nec208

Well it could be a staffing problem not enough firefighters to keep the trucks going but I cannot see the main station having only 4 or 8 firefighters they got have more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.