Digital non trunk frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

feedbak

When there is no control channel for instance would you not hear anything on the channel when they broadcast or no?

This assuming you were listening in FM mode and not in DG mode.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
"would you not hear anything on the channel when they broadcast or no"

That's like a quadruple negative, so I'm not sure what you are asking...

There is no way to put a Pro96 in "DG" mode. If you are listening to a conventional (non-trunked) frequency, programmed as mode FM, and they transmit in APCO P25 digital, your Pro96 will automatically switch to DG and you will hear it.

mbstone99

Digital

feedbak said:
When there is no control channel for instance would you not hear anything on the channel when they broadcast or no?

This assuming you were listening in FM mode and not in DG mode.

Well if you listen to a digital signal that is either APCO-25 or Pro Voice you will hear a data signal of the digitized voice.

An APCO-25 voice signal when listening to it in FM you will hear something like this http://www.kb9ukd.com/digital/astro-imbe.wav.

Matt

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
That's incorrect - the Pro96 will automatically take APCO-25 digital and convert it to audio when the scanner is in FM mode.

feedbak

I was just curious as a local PD here is digitally encrypted. I thought I would at least hear some form of noise on the channel. Just not sure how it would manifest itself with no control channel.

wyldman

A control channel is used on a trunked system,and produces digital noise,all the time.Your scanner can decode it,but what you hear is just digital noise,at it never was voice.

On a conventional frequency,you only hear stuff when someone actually transmits.If it's analog voice,then you hear analog voice.If it's digital,and your scanner is capable of decoding it,you hear the decode voice traffic.If your scanner can not decode it,you get digital garbage noise instead.

feedbak

wyldman said:
A control channel is used on a trunked system,and produces digital noise,all the time.Your scanner can decode it,but what you hear is just digital noise,at it never was voice.

On a conventional frequency,you only hear stuff when someone actually transmits.If it's analog voice,then you hear analog voice.If it's digital,and your scanner is capable of decoding it,you hear the decode voice traffic.If your scanner can not decode it,you get digital garbage noise instead.

Awesome thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.