FRS Activity-462.5625-162.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainbowSix

Premium Subscriber
Hearing alot of radio activity on FRS 462.5625-162.2 in Scarborough.

I know it is a FRS frequency.

BUT,

It's some sort of Repeater set up at McCowan/Hwy 401.

RX-462.5625-162.2
TX-467.5625-162.2

Sounds like alot of HAM or Radio Tech chatter. Making reference to RadioWorld, Motorola Radio's, Antenna's, RSS, purchasing radio's on EBAY and soon on.

Distance so far is from Scarborough to Toronto to Brampton to Pickering.

R6

Last edited:

Jammin_Jay

Have u tried tripping the repeater yourself at 162.2 on 467.5625 to see if tails, then drops on 462.5625 with and FRS radio or GMRS radio. On a Motorola Hand held, that would be tone #26 (5b)

Last edited:

RainbowSix

Premium Subscriber
Nope, monitoring on my Pro-96's.

I heard them switching between FRS-CH1 and FRS-CH3 (462.6125-162.2/467.6125-162.2), came in loud and clear on that one too.

They have access to direct or repeater mode.

They also mentioned that the repeater was used at the Scarborough Town Center as a inhouse repeater.

Sounds like HAM.....

R6

Jammin_Jay said:
Have u tried tripping the repeater yourself at 162.2 on 467.5625 to see if tails, then drops on 462.5625 with and FRS radio or GMRS radio. On a Motorola Hand held, that would be tone #26 (5b)

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
For a second their i thought you were listening to me and my buddy at work... We use a FRS channels with PL's :D

KE7JFF

If memory serves me right, there's some yahoo who has an illegal amp on FRS in Toronto...ExKa I think knows what I am talking about...

mciupa

Canadian DB Admin
Best monitoring of these guys is early evenings when they lay into other users.
It is a guilty pleasure , you don't want to listen , but you do anyway.:roll:

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
MatteBlack said:
If it was HAM they would be identifying using their calls. If they are not identifying, and in this band, they are not HAMS.

The fact that they are in the FRS band and not identifying doesn't tell us anything.

They could very well be hams who have commercial licences which allow them to use a frequency shared by FRS. Why would you use your ham call on a non-ham frequency?

My company has several frequencies licenced for use across Ontario and several of us who are hams use them for general chit chat all the time.

We don't identify with our ham calls as we're not within an amateur band.

SkipSanders

Silent Key
No, if on the specified frequencies, they are in no way 'legal'.

The GMRS repeater outputs are 462.550, 462.575, 462.600, 462.625, 462.650, 462.675, 462.700, and 462.725. These are 'GMRS Frequencies 1-8', on GMRS/FRS bubblepack radios, they're channels 15-22. (US info - Canada, as far as I can tell, does not allow Repeater operation at all, though their regulations have set aside the possibility of doing so in future, on the same channel pairs as used in the US.) US Repeaters or other GMRS units may use up to 45 watts, while Canadian GMRS units are limited to 2 watts max.

GMRS shares the interstitial channels between the repeater outputs with FRS, while FRS gets to use the interstitials between the repeater INputs (the idea being that the low power FRS units won't interfere with the repeaters, while higher power GMRS units would)

Businesses can't currently get a license for GMRS, though some who've been previously licensed still are allowed to renew, but ANY GMRS licensee can put up a repeater if they want, being simply required to coordinate with other local users to avoid interference.

You might check and make sure they're not on the above repeater channels, instead of the splits.

Canadian GMRS channels, for info:

Channel Frequency

1 462.5500
2 462.5625
3 462.5750
4 462.5875
5 462.6000
6 462.6125
7 462.6250
8 462.6375
9 462.6500
10 462.6625
11 462.6750
12 462.6875
13 462.7000
14 462.7125
15 462.7250

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
SkipSanders said:
No, if on the specified frequencies, they are in no way 'legal'.

And what do you base that on?

Check out 462.5625Mhz on the TAFL and you'll see many licenced business users on the frequency. These guys could be operating under one of those licences.

BTW, some of these users are even licenced for repeater operation.

Many of these users were on these frequencies long before FRS and GMRS came about.

IIRC, IC gave these guys two choices. Stay on the current frequency and accept any interference or move to a new frequency. Looks like many decided to stay put.

mciupa

Canadian DB Admin
Mike_Oxlong said:
My company has several frequencies licenced for use across Ontario and several of us who are hams use them for general chit chat all the time.
We don't identify with our ham calls as we're not within an amateur band.

Makes me wonder about the time I heard some guys using 154.570 while they were en-route to who knows where ?
They made mention of " the scanner listeners" out there.

Not one of your freq's , huh ? :D :lol: :wink:

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
Nope, wasn't us but I do know of one two way shop that uses that channel quite often however they're usually running DES encryption.

Our channels are none of the LPU stuff.

SkipSanders

Silent Key
Ah, my bad, I was thinking Canada had cleared the channels before dumping uncoordinated users on them. Also, silly me, when I started responding, I hadn't yet woken to the fact this was Canadian, rather than US, and was still thinking US. Chauvinist me! BAD! No cookie!

Gregor

Yeah, I hear these guys all the time when I listen to FRS. I actually used to talk to them on a cheesy FRS radio before I got my HAM license. They are definately not using 2 watts. I heard them talking about buying 40 watt Motorola mobiles to use on FRS.

They are all very knowledgeable about radios and their repair, hence why it sounds like HAM chatter. Actually, I believe I spoke to them on a HAM repeater a year ago when they took a break from FRS, but why be on a HAM repeater where you have to walk on egg shells whereas on FRS you can say whatever you want. Of course, they went back to FRS.

Most of the guys seem like they are pretty nice and will chat with you if you go on frequency. There is one guy however, I think his nickname is Jimmy, will chew you up and spit you out after he has cussed you out. You know it's him because he kind of sounds like a cartoon character.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
One of the guys is a ham, lives around the Leaside Towers area about 5 floors up or so and has a nice uhf beam facing down town. Anyone remember Marco back in the day on channel 1?

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
That vhf frequency is very popular in the toronto area with probably several hundred users. That radio shop, btw, isn't licensed on that channel... Not that it matters much.

tomandnic

One lives around Scar Town Centre.. maybe Tuxedo Court (hes the one who tells ppl to get off the channnnnel (well its much more explicit then that). And another (a quieter guy) lives around The Bell tower Victoria Park / near the border of Scarborough and East York. The others I dont know I havent heard them when I was driving..thus couldnt see how strong the signal was.

I think the one near Tuxedo/STC is using a very high watt Mot Spectra (maybe 50-100w) with an antenna he sticks on the balcony at night.

For sure they are using some type of repeater as I can hear them from all over Scarborough when Im driving (on a simple little frs/gmrs fixed antenna handheld walkie talkie).

They might be hams/licensed on regular freq (they are very knowledgeable in radio stuff) but they are NOT licensed on the GMRS to output that type of wattage. They even said they moved to a different channel the other night to avoid raising any flags with Industry Canada.

Like the other poster I agree its a guilty pleasure to listen to them. My fav is when he pretended to be one of the security ppl on Channel 1 and he said "13 to dispatch" in a serious voice .. and dispatch replied "go ahead"... thinking it was one of thier guards... and he said "f-off". Guess you just had to hear it it was funny.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
I've heard these guys yacking away several times in the past. They might like to think they're very knowledgable in radio but that's not the case. I've heard them speaking of using Midland radios, not being able to listen to Toronto Police because they use "frequency hopping radios" - yeah, it's called trunking..

One of them I know for certain is a ham operator around the 401 and Morningside Ave. He aparantly likes Motorola gear...

hammyds2.jpg

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
tomandnic said:
They might be hams/licensed on regular freq (they are very knowledgeable in radio stuff) but they are NOT licensed on the GMRS to output that type of wattage.

I wish you guys would realize that unlike the US, those channels are not GMRS exclusive.

There were many users on them before Industry Canada decided to follow the US's lead and make them GMRS channels.

Existing users were allowed to move their licence to another frequency or remain on the same frequency and put up with any interference. There are several simplex and repeater licencees on the frequency still according to TAFL.

That said, it's pretty obvious these guys aren't licenced. If they were smart, they would pick a frequency not used by thousands of kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.