Explosion

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluesman905

TPS North: St.Clair & Mt.Pleasant, Two story home has exploded and been reduced to rubble. Enbridge Gas employee on the way to Sunnybrook with serious burns. Fighting working fire to exposed home .

pathalogical

bluesman905 said:
News crew are broadcasting and being heard over the fire communications.
How is that possible ? Which news ? I heard fire say something like "we will contact the news station". I thought maybe they were getting to close to the scene.

bluesman905

pathalogical said:
How is that possible ? Which news ? I heard fire say something like "we will contact the news station". I thought maybe they were getting to close to the scene.
Not sure how it's possible but it was interupting fire communications. I could hear a newscaster giving a report and thought it was just a fluke but then i heard firefighters asking dispatch if they could hear it also. Dispatch said they recognised they reporter and would call the station. The newscast I heard went out to "Christeen", sounds like (Bentley) CFTO?

Last edited:

pathalogical

bluesman905 said:
Not sure how it's possible but it was interupting fire communications. I could hear a newscaster giving a report and thought it was just a fluke but then i heard firefighters asking dispatch if they could hear it also. Dispatch said they recognised they reporter and would call the station. The newscast I heard went out to "Christeen", sounds like (Bentley) CFTO?
What frequency ? Someone posted CFTO was on one of those iDENT systems, which is not monitorable. I remember because I asked if their chopper was on the same system and was told they are.

Toronto Fire Active Incidents page still shows 38 vehicles on the call at 15:24. Earlier, they requested the Fire Marshall to attend, but is coming from Sarnia or Sudbury, should be here at about 1700 hrs...weather permitting.

Last edited:

bluesman905

pathalogical said:
What frequency ? Someone posted CFTO was on one of those iDENT systems, which is not monitorable. I remember because I asked if their chopper was on the same system and was told they are.

Toronto Fire Active Incidents page still shows 38 vehicles on the call at 15:24. Earlier, they requested the Fire Marshall to attend, but is coming from Sarnia or Sudbury, should be here at about 1700 hrs...weather permitting.

At the time I was monitoring North Command, Tac 3
I'm sure that they were broadcasting on there own system but it was being heard over Toronto Fire for some reason.

Caught an interview from the seen and they said when they arrived the house was already "in the basement".

It sounds like they still have fire in the basement.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
It wasn't North Command TAC3, it was South Command, TAC3. You likely were picking up South Tactical 3 on the North tower (which it was on).

I had thought at first that a UHF radio was messing with the TFS Fireground repeater (possibly CityTV), but they weren't using any of the FG channels at this scene.

My best guess would be that one of the on-scene reporters were using an IFB to do a live hit which somehow ended up mixing with a FF's radio. I would hazard a guess in saying that the IFB was in very close proximity of a FF who was transmitting at the time.

Either way, I imagine someone got a really nasty phone call...

pathalogical

exkalibur said:
It wasn't North Command TAC3, it was South Command, TAC3. You likely were picking up South Tactical 3 on the North tower (which it was on).

I had thought at first that a UHF radio was messing with the TFS Fireground repeater (possibly CityTV), but they weren't using any of the FG channels at this scene.

My best guess would be that one of the on-scene reporters were using an IFB to do a live hit which somehow ended up mixing with a FF's radio. I would hazard a guess in saying that the IFB was in very close proximity of a FF who was transmitting at the time.

Either way, I imagine someone got a really nasty phone call...
Yeah, you won't hear the news reporting on themselves on how they may have interfered with fire communications !

jellotor

exkalibur said:

Generally newer wireless mics and IFBs are in the 500-600 MHz range. I have a Sennheiser ew100 set that is around 522 MHz and the Sonys we use at work are in the 500s as well. Some of the Lectro gear is up in the high 500s and low 600s.

I'm no expert, but I'd suggest that if it was a frequency issue the culprit would be old (VHF) gear since I don't believe there were many (or any) types of wireless broadcast gear made in the 800 MHz band.

polkaroo

There are no wireless mic/IFB gear in the 800 band. They are all unlicensed within the tv channels. The most powerful wireless mics and IFB transmitters pump out 250mW.

That being said, wireless links back to the station via cell phone could be within the 800 band.

There's wireless gear in the upper UHF channels in the 700mHz band that will be paperweights once Canada hops on the 700MHz rebanding, but I can't see Toronto doing that anytime soon.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
I don't mean interfering 800MHz wise...I mean the IFB signal somehow gettign into the microphone electronics or what not.

pathalogical

They said that a few times yesterday that someone may be unaccounted for. It made me wonder "Why would a service person be alone in the house without the homeowner". I'm always home to "keep an eye" on the work being done whenever someone has to do some work here.

Also, last night around 20:00 I heard some comms on Joint Emerg Service 1, sounded like it was related to the explosion, some news crew were approaching the scene and were eventually directed away by poilce. The crew "said" they were allowed to get close, but the command centre said they did not give permission.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
I doubt we'll hear anything about it, but I'm sure someone's head will roll for the radio issue... Even if it was no fault of the news crew.

bluesman905

pathalogical said:
Also, last night around 20:00 I heard some comms on Joint Emerg Service 1, sounded like it was related to the explosion, some news crew were approaching the scene and were eventually directed away by poilce. The crew "said" they were allowed to get close, but the command centre said they did not give permission.

This morning they were complaining about news traffic and decided to tag all the vehicles. Like that will stop them.

Status
Not open for further replies.