Ottawa Police use Provoice. Is it Encrypted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jammin_Jay

I was in Ottawa during the Winterlude Festival they have every year at this time, and decided to take along the scanner. Was able to pick up OPP on Fleetnet and then Fire/Ottawa city on EDACS.
I know Ottawa Police use Pro-voice on an EDACS system. But is that provoice encrypted. DES? Obviously the Control Channel is not Encrypted. How old is this system? I know there is no scanner that can pick it up. Is it possible to use a LPE-200 or something similar, just a curiousity. Even if its able to decode the modulation in a conventional mode. Just a thought.

Last edited:

ocscan

Premium Subscriber
I'm pretty sure that Ottawa Police Service is NOT encrypted. I seam to remember that was one of the key reasons that the RCMP opted out of joining the system full scale. I've also heard that some of the radios/TG's are encypted though...I've heard rumours of people modifiying LPE200's and monitoring the OPS...never seen it done though.

N

nec208

I don't think you can pick up Ottawa Police I know for some reason I can't pick up regina police like I use to before when I gon on vacation.

ocscan

Premium Subscriber
ocscan said:
I'm pretty sure that Ottawa Police Service is NOT encrypted. I seam to remember that was one of the key reasons that the RCMP opted out of joining the system full scale. I've also heard that some of the radios/TG's are encypted though...I've heard rumours of people modifiying LPE200's and monitoring the OPS...never seen it done though.

After doing some research today numerous documents by various agencies indicate that, Ottawa Police, RCMP, DND MP's are all digital and encrypted users of this system, but I couldn't find reference to the type of encryption used. Some of the documents were from MA/Comm, some from the City and some from the Federal Gov't.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
radioactiveman said:
It can be done if you want to go out and program a edacs radio which is quite expensive

Actually, it could work out to be cheaper. I have an 800MHz EDACS radio that is ProVoice capable. I paid all of $250 for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.