Mississauga fire Dispatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
I have noticed that Mississauga fire does NOT dispatch all their calls on TG 3216 (Ops 1) i was checking this tonight with the Conventioan 414mhz dispatch and PDW and some calls are not dispatched on the Ops 1 TG anyone have any ideas or reason why this is? Some calls are and others are not.. This was the last call that came across on both PDW and 414mhz and not TG3216..

1010001 19:00:53 19-02-07 91-AMBULANCE AS
82 SURBRAY GV
Map:224 Tac:3
P101
X1:90 HANSON RD
X2:90 HANSON RD
Inc#7006736 19:00:00

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Here's the skinny.

All dispatches take place on the UHF frequency, regardless.

The only time OPS1 comes in to play is if a truck is "on the air" - that is, for whatever reason (meal, coming back from a call, etc..) not in the hall at the time the dispatch is sent out. So, the only time you'll hear a dispatch on OPS1 is if the truck they are dispatching isn't in the station.

It's along the same lines as Toronto Fire...the only time you'll hear alert tones before a dispatch is if one of the trucks isn't in the station, and the dispatch goes out over the dispatch channel and an Op's channel.

In other words, if you want to hear ALL dispatches for Mississauga Fire - you need to keep an ear on the 414MHz channel.

N

nec208

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When are they going to do away of this old UHF frequency and do what Vaughan fire does?

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
nec208 said:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When are they going to do away of this old UHF frequency and do what Vaughan fire does?

That was already established, but thanks again for pointing that out! :roll:

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
If the present system works, why change it? York changed because they went from vhf to the 800 trunk up there.

danism

exkalibur said:
Here's the skinny.

In other words, if you want to hear ALL dispatches for Mississauga Fire - you need to keep an ear on the 414MHz channel.

Is it possible for someone to tell me how to program that into my scanner? =)

I have a BC 246 T .. I'm new to scanning and would love to learn more. However, the information on the database here doesn't directly correspond to the prompts on my Uniden bc246t scanner so I'm at a loss as to how to proceed .. :(

mciupa

Canadian DB Admin
Hi danism , welcome to RadioReference. :)

The dispatch channel the guys were discussing last year:eek: was this one , plus I've included some talkaround , if you happen to be close enough to the fireground.
This was pulled from the Peel county DB

414.5875 (103.5 PL) Station Dispatch

852.2750 CH 1 Talkaround
851.1500 CH 2 Talkaround
852.9500 CH 3 Talkaround
851.6250 CH 4 Talkaround

Enter these like normal , just punch in the #'s and hit enter on open channels.

To get Peel Region Fire , select a bank and enter as an E2-800 trunking system , freq's can be found in the trunking database.

Last edited:

danism

Hi mciupa, thanks for the information!

Well, I just tried a few things .. =P

I programmed, a quick key and a group, set it to Mot, 800-Standard, but when I enter the dispatch, 414.5875, it tells me it's out of band.

I guess 414.5875 is outside of the 800 band :( .. what should I have selected? unless I did not select the E2-800 as you had mentioned?

mciupa said:
Hi danism , welcome to RadioReference. :)

The dispatch channel the guys were discussing last year:eek: was this one , plus I've included some talkaround , if you happen to be close enough to the fireground.
This was pulled from the Peel county DB

414.5875 (103.5 PL) Station Dispatch

852.2750 CH 1 Talkaround
851.1500 CH 2 Talkaround
852.9500 CH 3 Talkaround
851.6250 CH 4 Talkaround

Enter these like normal , just punch in the #'s and hit enter on open channels.

To get Peel Region Fire , select a bank and enter as an E2-800 trunking system , freq's can be found in the trunking database.

danism

Ok, so let me see if I got this right .. trying to piece together what I'm reading from this site's wiki and forum archives :) .. the post relates specifically to my BC 246 T scanner as that's the only thing I know at the moment.

I had downloaded someone's scanner profile and it listed frequencies that were on the 800mhz range. That did NOT include MFD dispatch. (not the 414)

So if I want to add dispatch, I added a new system, MOT, UHF, and added the frequency 414.5875
I then assigned a quick key, then created a group. In the group, I created a channel, and I used the tag 3216
(although, the more I read that previous post, the more i'm unsure if I should have used that tag)

Now the next question, one that I'm stumped on, is how to enter the tone (103.5 PL)

With my scanner, I can ask to search for CTCSS and DCS, I can't enter a specific tone to search for, and that setting is global, not local to a system.

There are other settings such as base plan 1, 2 and 3 that I have NO clue what they are for.

Of course, I could be going about this totally wrong. LoL. Someone please advise! =)

Last edited:

danism

Ok, entered .. :) ..

I have a Conventional system, with a group and channel of 414.5875 .. I set the CTCSS to 103.5, then I set the main CTCSS search to ON

did I do that right? :)

i haven't heard any dispatch calls yet though ...

p.s. does it matter that my NFM indicator does not light up when it scans that system? because in the database, it says that it is FM

Last edited:

imcleish

Seems like it is set right. Try holding on the frequency to check settings/activity.

There is a way to change the NFM to FM but performance differences are slight.

You are likely to miss activity because the scanner is checking multiple frequencies/systems when in scan mode. This is why reporters/tow operators/scanner enthusiasts often have multiple scanners. If there is a frequency you always want to hear/prefer to hear, you should have a dedicated unit for it or set it as a priority.

Hope this helps.

danism

Sweet! Thanks imcleish! :)

So apparently, I did get it right! The problem is ... apparenlty I cannot receive within the confines of my home. I took it out into my car and it was fine, I received transmission over the 414 channel.

What do you guys use to get better reception indoors? Do you normally plug an external antenna into the top of your house? Would one of those radioshack UHF TV antennas help?

Dan

mciupa

Canadian DB Admin
Look at buying a disone antenna from Radioworld or Durham Radio. If you cannot place it outside your home , then place it at least in the attic.

imcleish

mciupa has said it... time for an antenna upgrade, the stock uniden antennas work poorly inside the home. reception is based on antenna quality, height of antenna/things blocking the signal, and signal strength from the source.

Based on you past postings I would suggest a multi band antenna, a discone is a good place to start for your home, but not portable.

A multiband rubberduck (thats what came with the scanner) that is longer (diamond rh77ca) is a nice mobile antenna, but longer than the stock antenna, you can also buy tuned antennas in rubber duck.

Lastly a mobile multiband antenna works wonders in the car as it is located outside.

When I still had my 246 I used the Diamond RH77CA rubber duck, and an Antennex ABSCANC as the mobile, mounted to the fender of my truck. I am still using the Antennex one with my 996. The RH77CA is my antenna of choice for railroads, and I use it on an old SC200.

If you go real big with antennas (yagis, rotors, etc) you can pick up more than you think.

Do some research, pick a budget, and have fun... Thats what any hobby is about.

Status
Not open for further replies.