Programming Moto equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyldman

Wasn't sure if this belongs here,or in the Moto forum,but it is more specific to my locale,so I put it here.

I've been scanning for years,and understand how to program the scanners properly for Moto type II trunking systems.Did have a bit of a problem with one SmartZone system (Toronto Public Safety system),as it has 4 towers that do not simulcast,so I had to set up four separate systems to monitor it properly.It works great now.

So now.....I'm switching to true Moto radios (MTS8000's and Maxtrac\Spectras).I am not doing the programming yet (I will once I understand it better).I'm just trying to get a better idea of how to lay out my zones and talkgroups before I bother the programmer.I will be monitoring TPS,Peel,and maybe a few others in the GTA.Toronto is mainly the one I'm worried about,as it is the multi zone system.

I've been told each zone will hold 4 control channels.Is this 2 primary and 2 secondary ? I've also been told that putting two or more control channels in the same zone,which can both be heard from one area will confuse the radio.Does this mean I have to set up 4 separate zones for the 4 towers like on my scanners ? How do the TO police and fire do it ? Do they have to switch zones if they roam across the city ?

Next question is regarding talkgroups.I know with the scanners,you need to duplicate all the talkgroups in each separate system,so you can receive them on all towers.Do you have to do the same with a Moto radio ? If the TG's are in one zone,will they still be picked up without reentering them in another zone ? Just trying to save some space,as they don't have as much room as a regular scanner.

Last question is regarding programming changes.I do have the software (haven't tried it yet,so I don't know what all is involved) and cables needed to program.If I get someone to do the initial programming,set up the way I want,is it easy to copy into other radios ? I know the files are the same all along the MTX line,but can they be used,or easily converted to the Maxtrac and Spectra ? I know with my scanners,I can open ARC and set up one scanner file (oldest radio first),then just open it in the different versions of ARC for my other radios and load them too.I can also easily cut and paste from one to the other if needed too.Can this be done with the Moto software ? I know most of it is in hex,but is it easy enough to figure out ? I'm just looking at changing TG's and stuff in the future if needed,without sending it back to the programmer.

I'm also looking for a good source of Moto stuff and accessories in the GTA,so if anyone knows of one,or a person,please let me know.New or used is fine.Let me know what you have.

While I do know a few programmers,are there any other guys here in the GTA who can program these things ? and possibly sit down with me to help understand it better ? I wouldn't mind watching to see how it's done.

slicerwizard

Did have a bit of a problem with one SmartZone system (Toronto Public Safety system),as it has 4 towers that do not simulcast,
More like 16 simulcast TX sites across four zones, but that's not important here...

So now.....I'm switching to true Moto radios (MTS8000's and Maxtrac\Spectras).I am not doing the programming yet (I will once I understand it better).I'm just trying to get a better idea of how to lay out my zones and talkgroups before I bother the programmer.I will be monitoring TPS,Peel,and maybe a few others in the GTA.Toronto is mainly the one I'm worried about,as it is the multi zone system.
With those radios, I suspect you will be treating each zone as a separate system. You can't put all eight TPS control channels in one system anyway (with those radios)

I've been told each zone will hold 4 control channels.Is this 2 primary and 2 secondary ?
While every SmartZone zone can use up to four control channels, many only use two (a primary and an alternate)

I've also been told that putting two or more control channels in the same zone,which can both be heard from one area will confuse the radio.
I assume you mean control channels from separate zones. If so, it won't confuse the radio - you just won't have any control over which zone you're hearing.

Does this mean I have to set up 4 separate zones for the 4 towers like on my scanners ?
Yep, looks that way.

How do the TO police and fire do it ? Do they have to switch zones if they roam across the city ?
They use radios that know what SmartZone is and how to handle it. The users don't do anything as they roam.

Next question is regarding talkgroups.I know with the scanners,you need to duplicate all the talkgroups in each separate system,so you can receive them on all towers.Do you have to do the same with a Moto radio ? If the TG's are in one zone,will they still be picked up without reentering them in another zone ? Just trying to save some space,as they don't have as much room as a regular scanner.
I'm getting rusty in this area (it's been a few years), but IIRC, yes, you'll have to duplicate them.

Last question is regarding programming changes.I do have the software (haven't tried it yet,so I don't know what all is involved) and cables needed to program.If I get someone to do the initial programming,set up the way I want,is it easy to copy into other radios ? I know the files are the same all along the MTX line,but can they be used,or easily converted to the Maxtrac and Spectra ?
Cloning between identical models is easy. MTX to Maxtrac, etc. is a no go. You'll have to start from scratch or get a codeplug from a local who uses the same radio.

I know with my scanners,I can open ARC and set up one scanner file (oldest radio first),then just open it in the different versions of ARC for my other radios and load them too.I can also easily cut and paste from one to the other if needed too.Can this be done with the Moto software ?
Nope. It's old DOS software and doesn't do cut 'n paste. Just write everything down and re-enter it. That's fairly simple, no?

I know most of it is in hex,but is it easy enough to figure out ? I'm just looking at changing TG's and stuff in the future if needed,without sending it back to the programmer.
Hex is trivial. Making a few changes to an already populated codeplug is easy as well, since you can see how everything should be laid out.

I'm also looking for a good source of Moto stuff and accessories in the GTA,so if anyone knows of one,or a person,please let me know.New or used is fine.Let me know what you have.
If they haven't PM'd you yet, they will.

While I do know a few programmers,are there any other guys here in the GTA who can program these things ? and possibly sit down with me to help understand it better ? I wouldn't mind watching to see how it's done.
If they haven't PM'd you yet, they will.

wyldman

Thank you for the great reply.

I'm slowly getting the hang of it.

The one thing I was trying to avoid is duplicating all the TG for each system,as there is a lot of them,which ties up a huge amount of the memory.The scanners have a ton of room for all of this,the Moto's don't.Hopefully I can narrow it down to just what I want,and I can figure out which tower broadcast which TG's.

Status
Not open for further replies.