New Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

newtoscanning

Hello, I just got a new m120 for scanning, but the person that gave it to me didn't have a working power supply so he threw it out.

I know it's 12 VDC but does anyone know the amperage and wattage?

Thanks

mancow

Database Admin
Motorola Radius M120? Is that correct?

I think that's a valid model type.

If so, it's going to be around 25 watts out and somewhere around 10 amps on transmit.

mrweather

If you're not going to transmit with it, you could probably get away with a cheapie 5 amp Radio Shack power supply. The receiver should only draw an amp or two.

If you want to transmit you'll need something bigger. Don't use the above supply or you'll let out the magic smoke! :)

newtoscanning

What I got

I hooked it up with a computer power supply. All the specs lined up perfectly. Radio works great, isn't over heating, (from what I can tell) and there is no magical smoke effects coming off of it.

Thanks for your help guys...always very much appreciated.

palo1

mrweather said:
If you're not going to transmit with it, you could probably get away with a cheapie 5 amp Radio Shack power supply. The receiver should only draw an amp or two.

If you want to transmit you'll need something bigger. Don't use the above supply or you'll let out the magic smoke! :)
A device only draws the power it requires. Assuming the voltage is correct you could hook it up to a 12 VDC 100 amp 1200 watt power supply and have no concerns about "magical smoke"

p

mrweather

palo1 said:
A device only draws the power it requires. Assuming the voltage is correct you could hook it up to a 12 VDC 100 amp 1200 watt power supply and have no concerns about "magical smoke"

p
Yes, I realize that. My point was, if he had it hooked to a 5 amp supply he shouldn't be transmitting with it since the radio will draw more than 5 amps and overload the supply.

Best case: an overload circuit fries. Worst case: the supply melts down (been there, done that!) :D

palo1

My apologies, I thought you were referring to my comment about a 120 watt ps - you are quite correct, for transmitting a 5 amp supply is most probably under-sized

p

Status
Not open for further replies.