Newbie looking for help

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkisielius

Hi. New to the scanner world. I live up in north Peel/South Dufferin County and would like to monitor both Peel EMS and Dufferin Ambulance. I have managed to get fire in Orangeville/Caledon/Brampton but can't seem to figure out how to get the MOH frequencies set up.

Any suggestions?! TOTALLY NEW so please bear with me.

Using a BC246T

mciupa

Canadian DB Admin
Hi gkisielius , I would suggest following the FAQ that Mike has "stickied" at the top of the forum

See : http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17856

Go to the second post that gives info for the "396D" , you can also use those instructions for your 246T.
It may look overwhelming , but you if you follow it step by step , you should be in business.
You may want to put in the Fleetnet freq's for Sites 5 , 6 , 9 from this link :http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=861

Good Luck :)

gkisielius

A little frustrated

I followed the link and attempted to program my BC246T to pick up Dufferin and Peel EMS. No luck! I have managed to set up the P-COM frequencies for ORNGE and paging but still can't get EMS. Any suggestions? Let me know what you need from me to help me out.

Thanks a million.

pathalogical

I don't have a digital scanner. I realize that Mike said he did not have a 246 to try it out on.
So, just for fun, I followed the instructions (post #2) for OPP in my 246. The last step before hitting the SCAN button is for Set Modulation to NFM. The radio does not give you this option and stays in the FM mode. It is not in the Edit Sys Option either. In the owners manual Edit Modulation is for Conventional Systems only.

Edit Name
Edit Sys Options
Set Frequencies
Set Attenuator
Edit Group
Delete System
Copy System

If I missed something along the way, please let me know.

gkisielius

So it sounds like anyone that purchased a 246T with the intent of listening to EMS is pooched. Since you can't ajust to NFM from FM you can't pick up EMS frequencies. Too bad. Guess I am stuck listening to PRP, Miss, Bram, Cal Fire.

polo_762

You can make out EMS frequencies with a 246, but the audio quality sucks something awful...

I have a base scanner (BCT8) that picks up analog fleetnet quite a bit better, but I really find the lack of alpha tags a pain in the ass....

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
I don't find the audio that bad, but then again I use mine as a base scanner hooked up to the computer running on a surround sound system, so I have no problem with audio. But out and about, yeah, it does kinda suck.

polo_762 said:
You can make out EMS frequencies with a 246, but the audio quality sucks something awful...

I have a base scanner (BCT8) that picks up analog fleetnet quite a bit better, but I really find the lack of alpha tags a pain in the ass....

Point me in the right direction of links and towers etc. to program and I'll make up a file for the BC246T

pathalogical

gkisielius,

I've been listening to OPP/Fleetnet on my 246. I have heard frequent activity for the various EMS. I programed the 040 Toronto, 039 King city and 009 Britannia/Mississauga. The EMS, MTO are analog voice, but the OPP stuff is digital and you'll have to hit the lock out when you hear their control channel-like audio. As polo 762 said, the audio is very low, like they're talking 5 feet away from the mic. To be honest, I never gave this a try until last week after reading Mr. Oxlong's directions. So if you've entered the stuff correctly, stick with it. I'm guessing you live in Peel Region, so you'll have to try 2 or 3 towers that are closest to you. If you haven't seen this link, I'm sure it will help.
http://home.ica.net/~phoenix/wap/Fleetnet/

Status
Not open for further replies.