Traveling To Sault, What To Listen Too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FighterPilot

This Monday I'm going to be traveling to Sault Ste. Marie from Thunder Bay on Ol' Highway 17. Is there anything interesting to listen to along the way? Also is there any trunked systems in the area I'll be traveling? It would be nice to try out the trunked feature of my scanner.

Thanks
Cal

SCPD

QRT
Hello there.

I see you will be travelling to the Sault from T-Bay on Hwy 17.

When you get close to Wawa. You would want to put in these Trunk Freq's. Type this in and then look for Site 52, which is the Trunking Freq's for Wawa on Fleetnet. Then when you get real close to the Sault and also when you are in the Sault type in Site 020 which is more Trunking Freq's for Fleetnet.
http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=3511
When you put in those freq's. You will be able to hear the OPP (Which are Digital), The MNR (Also Digital), MTO Maintenance (The Guys who do the Roads now in the Winter), and maybe the MTO Enforcement (The guys who check the Big Transport Trucks).

When you are in the Sault. You will NOT be able to listen to the Sault Police, because they are Encrypted and nothing will decode that.

But you can listen to the Fire Dept - 153.830 or 154.370 - Both Freq's are the same thing. So you can put either freq in, or you can put both in if you want.

You can also listen to the Sault Ambulance - 149.440 - Is the Province Wide Pager for them. Which is where you will hear them get paged out to where they have to go.
149.710 - Sault Ambulance - Tactical
149.215 - Sault Mobile
149.605 - Sault Ambulance
150.485 - Sault Ambulance - You can put all of these freq's in for the Sault Ambulance. You may only hear 2 active freq's from the above list, which are the main Ambulance Freq's, but just put them all in just in case.

For the Railroad. Just do a Search Range between: 159.000 - 162.000. When you do this you will hear any active Railroad Freq's that are in use.

Also if you want to hear Aircrafts. Just check this site out: http://www.canairradio.com/ont.html
Then just look for the Sault and put those freq's in and you should be all set.

If there is other Freq's you would like to know. Just let me know.

Otherwise here they are and have a good trip to the Sault and enjoy it there.

Coolguy

slicerwizard

Create a MOT VHF system and enter the relevant control channels from this map:

http://home.ica.net/~phoenix/wap/Fleetnet/Fleetnet Zone 3.JPG

It looks like you should be able to pick up about seven sites on your trip.

Don't forget to set it to CC Only and enter the correct band plan as well.

Run it in ID Search mode and just lock out any digital comms that you hit.

Use the best VHF antenna you have; those sites are fairly spread apart.

Firetxmi

Hey,
Well, seeing as I live in the Sault (Soo, Mi to be more exact) I am fairly familiar with what we have to listen to. These guys covered it pretty well, But I will add a few for you:

129.275- Ontario Air Ambulance out of Sault Hospital.
They have been pretty busy lately so you might want to put them in.

Here are some Civilian Air freqs too (from the site that was suggested- which by the way is an excellent source for info):

118.8- Sault Tower

121.7- Sault Ground

122.5- FSS London

126.7- FSS London

132.65- Sault Low Alt.

134.425- Sault High Alt.

125.625- Sault High Alt.

By the way the Sault Fire Dept. uses a PL tone of 100.0 on both channels listed in the previous post.

The trains come across the bridge about 2 times a day from Soo, Michigan. You should be able to hear other traffic though since you are going to be so close to the Algoma Central Railway as well as the rail yard for Algoma Steel.

If you are interested I can give you some interesting Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan freqs. too (We are so close that we can hear both sides of the border!).

Enjoy the listening, but moreover enjoy the Sault.

FighterPilot

Thanks for all the help. I'm going down to the Sault to check out the College, I've taken some time off work and I am pretty excited. Being that there are little to no Trunked Freqs. in the Rainy River district and have basically no experience using them I am going to have to learn on the fly! Also I wouldn't mind having some freqs. for Soo Mi.!

Firetxmi

Here are some Soo, Mi. frequencies that are fun to listen to:

154.415- Soo MI Fire dept.

155.34- EMS to War Memorial Hospital

155.28- EMS to WMH

155.775- Chippewa County Fire Disp.

122.7 am- Sanderson Field Airport Unicom

155.16- Northflight Medevac- PL tone: 71.9

155.4 Northflight Medevac- PL tone: 71.9

I have been hearing marine traffic lately. I imagine that they might be using the USCG cutters now to break the ice, but I'm not positive.

The police on my side of the border are on a Michigan-wide system that is known as MPSCS. Info for that is here: http://radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=100
We are site number 527 and we are in Chippewa County.

Which college are you going to visit?

FighterPilot

Thanks for the Freqs. I'm going to check out Sault College. I'm taking their aviation program this fall.

All I have to do now is figure out how to put these Trunked freqs. in my scanner and get them working.

Cal

Firetxmi

I see. I hear quite a bit of their students doing touch-and-goes and mock approaches and such. Interesting to listen to. I'm sure you'll hear some too considering I hear them just about every week day. They are usually on Sault twr. or Sault grnd.

Firetxmi

FighterPilot said:
They might not be doing anything this week to due to March break, but if they are I think they have their own personal Freq.

Cal

Didn't know that. If you know what it is, please share. I just hear them coordinating with the tower on the frequencies I mentioned.

FighterPilot

Well I had a great time in the Sault checking out the college and all. Thanks for the freqs. Unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to work trunked freqs. I could hear some of the freqs. when I was searching between 135 to 150ish. Kinda gives you an idea how trunked freqs. work. I should have brought the manual with me.... figures.

Well Thanks Again
Cal

Firetxmi

FighterPilot said:
Well I had a great time in the Sault checking out the college and all. Thanks for the freqs. Unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to work trunked freqs. I could hear some of the freqs. when I was searching between 135 to 150ish. Kinda gives you an idea how trunked freqs. work. I should have brought the manual with me.... figures.

Well Thanks Again
Cal

To be honest I don't think your missing much. I have them programmed in, but I rarely listen to it because I get bored with hearing the plows and the occasional plate ran. In my opinion there really isn't much to hear in Sault Ste. Marie on those trunked freqs.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your time!

Out of curiosity, what did you listen to?

FighterPilot

I mainly listened to the airport, despite it being rather far away. I also listened to some security, the police in the States and some peoples phone calls as well :S
One of the more interesting thing I listened to was probably the Hammers from the States.

Cal

Status
Not open for further replies.