New P25 system to be encrypted in a month all over Canada for RCMP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lil_newfie

So, I just ordered a nice new digital scanner online a few days ago only to find out today from word of mouth that I will only be able to pick up the RCMP on it for about a month because they are going to be using encryption all over Canada after that and no digital scanner will beable to pick them up then. Is this true? Does anyone know anything else about this? This makes me sad :( lol

robsterw

I highly doubt it. That time frame seems too soon for such a large operation to happen.
Not to mention the scale of a Canada wide implementation of encryption = $$$$$$.
Don't let yer buddy getcha down biy. Even IF it does come true one day, there's still other things to check out :p

Last edited:

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
There are a number of western provinces that are picking out new trunk systems in the next few weeks/months for province-wide communications (including the RCMP). There will be encryption involved in some of the police talkgroups on these systems but I don't know how much or where. And it certainly won't be countrywide.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Considering that Saskatchewan recently rolled out a VHF system and Ontario is rolling out a UHF system, the odds of one Country wide system are pretty slim.

Yes, the Ontario system will probably be 100% encrypted but keep in mind that they do not provide regular policing as other RCMP units do in other provinces.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
what the frequnceys do u no will i pic it up in hamilton?

I have no idea.

This might require you to do a little work on your own since it's a new system.

Try using the search function on your scanner and see what you find.

scnnr

RCMP here in Manitoba are still on Mts Fleetnet System
Motorola Type II SmartZone Analog and APCO-25
In the 800 MHz area
There has been no testing of any new systems here in Manitoba that I am aware of and I have done several sweeps through different bands including he 700MHz band searching for any new control channels or tg's and nothing at all.

scnnr

Considering that Saskatchewan recently rolled out a VHF system and Ontario is rolling out a UHF system, the odds of one Country wide system are pretty slim.

Yes, the Ontario system will probably be 100% encrypted but keep in mind that they do not provide regular policing as other RCMP units do in other provinces.

---------------------

Mike would this be the new system that the Toronto Police Service wants to switch to? I am wondering if the other emergency services will remain on the Toronto Public Safety system. http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=738

Last edited:

WestcoastNewf

My scanner stopped working over a month ago on the west coast.. noone I know can pick up anything,,
whats the deal with that? did the new system already come out?
Thanks
Jon

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
Little bit about the Maritime-Wide radio system currently in development.

The new Maritime-wide radio system is planned to be in place by 2012. Reports suggest it will be a 700MHz Trunked Radio System (P25 Digital) with the chance of being encrypted also. ALL Island Police, Fire, and EMS will be on this new system.

MORE INFO:

Charlottetown, The Guardian: Local News | Provinces plan Maritime-wide emergency radio system

http://www.cacp.ca/media/events/efiles/558/BISHOP,_AVERY,_BROWN_-_ENGLISH.pdf

scnnr

Little bit about the Maritime-Wide radio system currently in development.

The new Maritime-wide radio system is planned to be in place by 2012. Reports suggest it will be a 700MHz Trunked Radio System (P25 Digital) with the chance of being encrypted also. ALL Island Police, Fire, and EMS will be on this new system.

MORE INFO:

Charlottetown, The Guardian: Local News | Provinces plan Maritime-wide emergency radio system

http://www.cacp.ca/media/events/efiles/558/BISHOP,_AVERY,_BROWN_-_ENGLISH.pdf

Once again . Where in either of those links is Encryption or even Digital for that matter mentioned? I wish people would stop speculating on these new planned systems. All it does is bring out the 100 or so posts worrying about Encryption all through the Maritimes when it is not even mentioned.

Sorry if I am coming off as seeming to bad mouth you or anything because that is not my intention. Wait till you know for sure that the new system will be Province wide P25 system with 'Some' Encryption for secure comms.

EDIT:
I am just gong by what I'm reading from both of those links. If I am out of line and you have sources that you believe are very reliable then I apologize, since you are the administrator of Scan PEI and would know or check on your sources I am sure

Last edited:

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I would think that with the narrowbanding rules coming into effect and how Canada traditionally follows the USA in many respects as far as comms definitions/rules/laws go, digital may be a requirement of new systems nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.