RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Economics / Finance

Economics / Finance So you did well in math but you slept through Economics 101?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 3:21 PM

Thumbs down Day at Disney now more expensive than ever

When you wish upon a star, be sure to bring your wallet. Disneyland has taken another step toward becoming the priciest place on earth.

Disney said in a statement that starting Sunday, a one-day adult ticket to one park will cost $.....
Day at Disney now more expensive than ever | Fox News
Sponsored links

Old 06-08-2013, 3:35 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Never been there, never will! Too much of a tourist suck.

n9zas
Old 06-08-2013, 3:39 PM

"'A ticket to our theme parks represents a great value, particularly when you look at the breadth and quality of attractions and entertainment we offer and the special moments guests experience with our cast.'"

Assuming the report is accurate (it is Fox Noise), by whose standards is $92-$95 a "good value"? I guess that's why corporations like Di$ney have propaganda departments.

I went to Di$neyland once, nearly 20 years ago (long story short, my Grandma used to work for Red Lion and received a complimentary stay at a new all-suite hotel they had just opened in the Orange County area; it also included free admission and rides for three to Di$neyland) and although it had its high points, even as a kid I wasn't really that impressed overall. Still, at least it didn't cost anything to get in, being a comp package.

Last edited by Darth_vader; 06-08-2013 at 3:52 PM..
Old 06-08-2013, 3:40 PM

A day is 6 flags cost about $40.00 less. What they don't disclose is the increase of other items at the establishment, like the food, drinks, gifts.
Old 06-08-2013, 3:42 PM

Thumbs up

Yeah!

"Bigger (and a better value) than Disneyland"!

Actually, they hardly paid anything for food and drinks (we did have dinner there at a particularly nice restaurant called "Plaza Inn"; don't know if it's still there or not) because we brought our own. But then, this was also before their corporate paranoia department began searching incoming backpacks and "confiscating" (stealling, really) peoples' bags of trail mix and $1 2-litre bottles of water.

Last edited by Darth_vader; 06-08-2013 at 3:51 PM..
Sponsored links

Old 06-08-2013, 3:50 PM

Some other comparisons - Season Pass for Disney - $669.00 vs. Six Flags $66.99 - $99.99.

Hummm why would anyone choose to go to Disney? Oh to see the "Magic Show".
Old 06-08-2013, 4:09 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

... Or get groped by mickey mouse or goofy the dog? Anyone remember when those incidents made the news?
I'll pass. For the price of their admission, I could put on quite a magic show myself!

n9zas
Old 06-08-2013, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gewecke View Post
... Or get groped by mickey mouse or goofy the dog? Anyone remember when those incidents made the news?
I'll pass. For the price of their admission, I could put on quite a magic show myself!

n9zas
I don't remember that. What kind of magic show you have ? How much you charge? LOL.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:12 PM

You get what you paid for.

Six Flags, Kings Dominion, Carowinds, Busch Gardens, Dollywood, all the regional theme parks are total dumps in comparison. There is no comparison to disney, it's as simple as that. Disney is an experience like none other.

Last edited by rapidcharger; 06-10-2013 at 12:14 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 06-10-2013, 11:15 PM

Yep. You get what you pay for. Endless hours standing in line.

Unless,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

NY Post: Wealthy moms hire disabled guides to skip lines at Disney World | The Mommy Files | an SFGate.com blog
Old 06-11-2013, 7:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisx50
When you wish upon a star, be sure to bring your wallet. Disneyland has taken another step toward becoming the priciest place on earth.
I reckon it has!!!

Thats OK..... I wasnt that interested in it when we went there!
Old 06-11-2013, 8:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feets View Post
Yep. You get what you pay for. Endless hours standing in line.

Unless,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

NY Post: Wealthy moms hire disabled guides to skip lines at Disney World | The Mommy Files | an SFGate.com blog
Butting to the head of a line with wheel chairs is nothing new. That's been going on since the day they opened their doors.

The lines are long for a reason. Maybe raising the prices will have a positive effect for those willing to pay them and then wait in line.
Old 06-11-2013, 9:49 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I visited Epcot, with a very short side trip via monorail to Disney, about twenty years ago, and it was on a weekday when crowds were almost non-existent. The Epcot displays and exhibits were pretty impressive. However, I've also visited Sea World in both Florida and Texas and found them to be much less expensive, much less crowded and, in their own way, more fun than Epcot/Disney. The San Antonio porpoises are a real gas when they make their runs down the tank and purposely splash water all over the tourists who don't know not to stand too close.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:19 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisx50 View Post
I don't remember that. What kind of magic show you have ? How much you charge? LOL.
Yeah it was about 3 or 4 years ago that a lady was touched by a employee in a costume. I bet I can make your $$ vanish just as quick as disneyland can!

n9zas
Old 06-11-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidcharger View Post
Maybe raising the prices will have a positive effect for those willing to pay them and then wait in line.
I bet it will.

U.S. Suffers Biggest Pay Drop On Record, As Workers Squeezed Tighter
Sponsored links
Old 07-10-2013, 8:00 PM

In the past "YEARS" , I have went to a restrauant and have had food served full of chicken bones, or
by a stroke of coincidence, on three or four occasions......I had what "I" describe as an "Allergic reaction"

I order a holster for a handgun, and when it arrives it is too small.

I order uniform pants ( My inital issue was quite "Substandard". I had to send them back twice to have them altered, and when I choose to
wear them, I did so because of time constraints...and they are still to long. ( how hard is 34" waist and 30" length to understand? ) Especially when they initally arrive with aprox and 42" length, then you get them back the second time with about a 40" waist. ( spitefulness?? )

My favorite "Sports Shop", just by a stroke of coincidence, does not have my caliber of rifle or hand gun ammo. Especially after I have been shopping there for years. "Uhhh, we can't get that."

An oil change on my vehicle does not take minutes, it takes over an hour ( for about the past 5 years it has been that way ). And "By coicidence " after the maintenace warranty runs out, vehicle parts start falling off.

JUST by a stroke of coincidence, when the warranty went out on my vehicle, I started having maintenance
problems. My initial brakes that were on the vehicle that lasted me about four years, this last set according to my mechanic has only lasted me a little over a year ( they are over 50% worn ), and I have the same driving habits I had with the initial brakes. I even use my gear shift to downshift on small to moderate grades to help prevent brake wear.

I strenously believe I have been in "Three" Staged traffic collisions since the year 2001. Hard to prove on my end, so I have no Insurance fraud case. ( ??? rear ended two times and "Sideswiped" once ).

Frequent inhospitable encounters ( on their part ) with cashiers, gas station attendants, and bank tellers. They look at me...in my description, like I am a criminal. I have been "Put on hold" , asked to come back later, or they can not help me at this particular point in time, or there is an "error" on their records.

On or about June of 2002, of an evening, I go to grocery shop, and with a nice politeful nature while at the checkout counter, I speak to the daughter of one of my co-workers, and for no reason get yelled and screamed at in front of other consumers and grocery store employees. That was embarassing. All I asked was if she had an engagement ring on?

"Jack Rocks " planted on the roadway to flatten my tires.

I go the "Mall" just north of where I live, walk out after my shopping is done, and one of the tires
on my vehicle has been flattened. ( flattened tire at the mall....AND a Jack rock on the road way to flattten my tire when I leave work....coincidence? ) **** People have repeated other similar events of damage in the past. Repeating themselves seems to be a uncontrolable habit with them. ****

And the many-many-many other numerous problems I have had. My guardian angle must be in her chair reading "The National Enquirer " instead
of looking over me. Guess I will have to look toward the Secret Service for protection, SHE won't do her job.

Yeah......Thats what I am going to do. Ask for Presidential protection. YEAH........That would be kinda cool would it not.
Riding around in an armored Presidential limosene, and armed Federal Agents protecting me. YEAHHHHHH, Just like
in Anaheim.

I think I will just stay at home. And for the record....I do not believe in coicidences.

FF - Medic !!!

Last edited by ff-medic; 07-10-2013 at 8:34 PM.. Reason: addition & clarification & typographical errors
Old 07-10-2013, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2NJS View Post
I visited Epcot, with a very short side trip via monorail to Disney, about twenty years ago, and it was on a weekday when crowds were almost non-existent. The Epcot displays and exhibits were pretty impressive. However, I've also visited Sea World in both Florida and Texas and found them to be much less expensive, much less crowded and, in their own way, more fun than Epcot/Disney. The San Antonio porpoises are a real gas when they make their runs down the tank and purposely splash water all over the tourists who don't know not to stand too close.
For those of you close to the "Buckeye State" ( Ohio ) I have been to Kings Island a few times in the past, and
have enjoyed it. A few of the Hotels close to the park have good savings - You get the room and tickets
to Kings Island at a discount.

FF - Medic !!!
Old 07-10-2013, 10:27 PM

i once got to drive the monorail at WDW, with supervision by the actual employee, now THAT was a unforgettable experience

OOOOORAH!!
Old 07-11-2013, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapStar362 View Post
i once got to drive the monorail at WDW, with supervision by the actual employee, now THAT was a unforgettable experience
That's why people pay more to go to disney.
It's for unforgettable experiences such as those.
Old 07-11-2013, 1:49 PM

They used to have Armed Forces weekends for Naval personnel in the mid 70's for $5.99. I have not back been since if anyone ever did a true investigative report on what disney did to that area and Florida criminal charges would be brought.