RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Economics / Finance

Economics / Finance So you did well in math but you slept through Economics 101?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 3:32 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Interesting RS coupon policy…

Today I bought an RS 20-546 USB programming cable. The metal hook hanger label said $34.99, but the store clerk rang it up for $39.99. When I told her the tag said $34.99 she said she could override it. She did, and she did NOT check to see if I was BSing her or not. So, I could have said $24.99 and gotten away with it.

She then hands me a nice $10 off coupon for my next RS visit. All I have to do is buy something for at least $10 and I get $10 off.

So what I am going to do is return to this RS store on my way home from work (it’s very close to my place of business) and return it, then buy another one at the local RS near my house and get $10 off. I wasn't ballsy enough to return it right then and there. I suppose I could have literally walked out and then "returned" and then returned it...

Is it me, or is this a silly policy? I’m not complaining, it just seems like they didn’t really think this one through…

PS - To their credit, using that cable was a breeze - along with PSREdit300 I was able to program my PRO-163 in about 45 seconds and on my first try!
Sponsored links
Old 06-14-2013, 4:39 PM

Well, it is Radio (Phone) Shack.....
Old 06-14-2013, 5:03 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIScanner101 View Post
...So what I am going to do is return to this RS store on my way home from work (it’s very close to my place of business) and return it, then buy another one at the local RS near my house and get $10 off....
I know you're probably joking about trying to exploit the situation. They "played nice". Maybe you should "play nice", too.

Thanks,
Old 06-14-2013, 7:09 PM

That's how I walked out with a PRO 164 for 79.99.
Old 06-15-2013, 7:49 AM

That's something my mother would do.

I think every retail store in a 10 mile radius of her has a picture of her at every cash register and customer service desk.

She would go and return that thing then ask for another coupon and do this every day for the next 10 months until they started paying her to buy an item.
Sponsored links
Old 06-15-2013, 7:57 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

and this, along with showrooming, is why retailers are having a hard time trying to keep the lights on, let alone pay employees a living wage, provide health insurance, etc.

at least people can't game Amazon.com or E retailers this way.
Old 06-15-2013, 8:22 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Today I bought an RS 20-546 USB programming cable. The metal hook hanger label said $34.99, but the store clerk rang it up for $39.99. When I told her the tag said $34.99 she said she could override it. She did, and she did NOT check to see if I was BSing her or not. So, I could have said $24.99 and gotten away with it.

She then hands me a nice $10 off coupon for my next RS visit. All I have to do is buy something for at least $10 and I get $10 off.

So what I am going to do is return to this RS store on my way home from work (it’s very close to my place of business) and return it, then buy another one at the local RS near my house and get $10 off. I wasn't ballsy enough to return it right then and there. I suppose I could have literally walked out and then "returned" and then returned it...

Is it me, or is this a silly policy? I’m not complaining, it just seems like they didn’t really think this one through…

PS - To their credit, using that cable was a breeze - along with PSREdit300 I was able to program my PRO-163 in about 45 seconds and on my first try!
while your plan may be "legal" it certainly is not moral or ethical. if I were you I wouldn't be bragging about it as it says more about you than RS.
Old 06-15-2013, 9:55 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
while your plan may be "legal" it certainly is not moral or ethical. if I were you I wouldn't be bragging about it as it says more about you than RS.
I AM and I WILL brag about it, because their loss is my gain.

Why did you put the word legal in quotes? Are you implying that it's sorta illegal? Ummm it's not even close.

BTW, I already returned it at Store B and bought another at Store C for $10 off.

It's not immoral or unethical - it's just plain SMART

Do you deny that it is?

So you would not take advantage of an RS coupon?
Old 06-15-2013, 9:59 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS2000des View Post
and this, along with showrooming, is why retailers are having a hard time trying to keep the lights on, let alone pay employees a living wage, provide health insurance, etc.

at least people can't game Amazon.com or E retailers this way.
Maybe if RS and other brick and mortar stores stopped literally GIVING MONEY AWAY like this then they would be better off - no?

Stop putting the blame on the consumer and put it instead squarely where it belongs, which would be on the stores that provide coupons like this.
Sponsored links
Old 06-15-2013, 10:03 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDP2012 View Post
I know you're probably joking about trying to exploit the situation. They "played nice". Maybe you should "play nice", too.

Thanks,
I don't "play nice" when it comes to my money

Hey, I already gave RS kudos for that cable - it worked like a charm.

Last edited by LIScanner101; 06-15-2013 at 10:07 AM..
Old 06-15-2013, 12:58 PM

I see nothing wrong with it I would have done the same thing. Money is money and now days every penny counts!!!
Old 06-15-2013, 1:07 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default In the land of the blind..The 1 eyed man is KING....

Quote:
Maybe if RS and other brick and mortar stores stopped literally GIVING MONEY AWAY like this then they would be better off - no?
Giving money away huh,,

Try this one out..
I just footed to the RS near my house.
I purchased a copper clad PCB for an
SDR box shielding,and a 2 pak of board
mount F conn's.

Total was 7.54..I gave a 20.The clerk
gave me back 13 in cash,and an added
1.74 in in pocket change.

I could have gone back.But why...I can
count.My kids can count.Hell..Mr. Ed
could count.

Nothing to do with the OP..but a reply to
LI scanners comment..
Old 06-15-2013, 1:20 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayslookin View Post
I see nothing wrong with it I would have done the same thing. Money is money and now days every penny counts!!!
Exactly.
Old 06-15-2013, 3:35 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
I AM and I WILL brag about it, because their loss is my gain.

Why did you put the word legal in quotes? Are you implying that it's sorta illegal? Ummm it's not even close.

BTW, I already returned it at Store B and bought another at Store C for $10 off.

It's not immoral or unethical - it's just plain SMART

Do you deny that it is?

So you would not take advantage of an RS coupon?
yup, I deny it. just as I would those folks who buy a TV for super bowl sunday and return it the next day or women who buy a dress or outfit for the night and return it the next day. at least most stores are hip to that scam. sure, i'd take advantage of the RS coupon...but in the way that it was intended. on my NEXT purchase. glad you can live with yourself.

character counts.
Old 06-15-2013, 3:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
I don't "play nice" when it comes to my money ...
I understand that perspective.

Quote:
...It's not immoral or unethical - it's just plain SMART ...
Regarding moral laws (or rules or whatever name you want to give them), they all have two main components -- the "letter of the law" and the "spirit of the law". I think the "spirit of the law" component is what is at the root of the 'Golden Rule" -- Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

The result is a behavior or action, but the driving-force behind that behavior or action is a fundamental love for other people.

The coupon was given (I would expect) with the intention or expectation of you keeping the product. If you were to return the product, maybe you should return the associated coupon also. Maybe RS does not care. Maybe RS would allow customers to keep the coupon even if the product was returned. Maybe they would not allow the second coupon to be acquired the same way. I am not RS and therefore do not know for certain their position.

But, I can guess that if I tried to return the product to the coupon-issuing-store, they would not issue another coupon if I later returned and bought the product a second time. Keeping the transactions at the same store would be more fair than splitting them across disconnected stores. Asking the manager of the same store for policy-clarification would be even more fair. These are options that might fit better with the Golden Rule or whatever moral code one upholds.

I am not pointing fingers or anything like that, just making suggestions for other options that might be considered.

Thanks for the discussion. It has been interesting.
Old 06-15-2013, 7:00 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
yup, I deny it. just as I would those folks who buy a TV for super bowl sunday and return it the next day or women who buy a dress or outfit for the night and return it the next day. at least most stores are hip to that scam. sure, i'd take advantage of the RS coupon...but in the way that it was intended. on my NEXT purchase. glad you can live with yourself.

character counts.
I agree, it should be used on your NEXT purchase.

Bought cable at Store A.

Returned it at Store B.

Then, I went to Store C for my NEXT purchase, which was the cable, which I bought for $34.99 minus $10.00.

I can live with myself because I'm a smart consumer.

I could NOT live with myself if I left money on the table - which would make me a DUMB consumer.

I fully understand where you're TRYING to go with this, but it's awfully quaint and outdated
Old 06-15-2013, 8:57 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Apparently, there is currently a coupon promotion at Radio Shack.

I bought an item at Radio Shack today for about $50. The store manager said there was a promotion going on now which gives customers a $10 coupon if they make a large enough in-store purchase. He gave me a $10 coupon, which takes effect 3 days from now.
Old 06-15-2013, 9:31 PM

Quote:

Bought cable at Store A.

Returned it at Store B.

Then, I went to Store C for my NEXT purchase, which was the cable, which I bought for $34.99 minus $10.00.

I could NOT live with myself if I left money on the table - which would make me a DUMB consumer.

I fully understand where you're TRYING to go with this, but it's awfully quaint and outdated

OK, now tell the rest of us how much you burned up in gas driving around between the different stores. Don't you even view your time as an expense? The rest of us do.
Old 06-15-2013, 9:43 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim202 View Post
OK, now tell the rest of us how much you burned up in gas driving around between the different stores. Don't you even view your time as an expense? The rest of us do.
Let's see now...

Store A I pass on the way home from work

Store B is about 1/4mi from my house.

Store C is less than a mile away from Store C.

I guess I burned a few pennies and wasted about 15mins
Old 06-16-2013, 9:26 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:

Bought cable at Store A.

Returned it at Store B.

you didn't return the cable because it was the wrong item or something was wrong with it. you returned it for the sole purpose of gaming the system and in my book that's cheating. the purpose of the RS coupon was to reward customers for being a RS customer and to entice them to return to the store. I'm glad you can live with yourself. and btw, doing the right thing when nobody is looking is never quaint or outdated.