Power supplies...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD8NIV

What do you guys look at when you buy one ?...

There are so many different brands out there to pick from, what do you look at when buying one, the construction how its built, components inside it, who built it, just curious...

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I agree. Astron is king :)

But, if you're interested in portability, you might consider a switching supply. They are a lot lighter. I picked up a 30 Amp Alinco supply to use with my IC-7000. Should I ever need to go portable, the rig and supply would be easy to pack and carry.

The Alinco works very well and doesn't generate any hash on the HF bands.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Yes, I agree. Astron is king :)

But, if you're interested in portability, you might consider a switching supply. They are a lot lighter. I picked up a 30 Amp Alinco supply to use with my IC-7000. Should I ever need to go portable, the rig and supply would be easy to pack and carry.

The Alinco works very well and doesn't generate any hash on the HF bands.
Astron makes smaller switching supplies too! :). 73, n9zas

n5ims

You also need to pick one that will provide the current you need (i.e. 5 amps; 10 amps; etc.)
BB

Just remember to verify that the listed current is what the supply will provide continuously, not just during very short peak periods. Often that 20 amp supply will only provide that 20 amps for a few seconds at a time but will provide 15 or 16 amps continuously. If your radio draws 18 amps on transmit, you'll probably need a 25 or 30 amp supply to provide the needed 18 amps your radio needs.

prcguy

Another thing to consider is if your main mode is SSB, then the average current is about 1/3 of using FM mode. A 100W SSB radio usually draws between about 6 and 8 amps average and if your running it hot with lots of mic gain and compression it might hit 10A.

When your shopping for a small light power supply for portable use this might help you decide on something smaller that you might have thought. My main travel power supply is an Astron SS-18, which is a small switching supply and it never even gets warm at 100W SSB. I often use 100W FM with this supply drawing 20 amps and it never complains and its also been in constant use for about 15yrs and I bought it used for $40.
prcguy

Just remember to verify that the listed current is what the supply will provide continuously, not just during very short peak periods. Often that 20 amp supply will only provide that 20 amps for a few seconds at a time but will provide 15 or 16 amps continuously. If your radio draws 18 amps on transmit, you'll probably need a 25 or 30 amp supply to provide the needed 18 amps your radio needs.

greusome1

I use an old computer power supply.. its not just "remove from old computer plug it up and it works" type of thing tho.. there is a trick to make it work... my setup has 12vdc at 14 amps constant.... but it was FREE!..... works fine with very little noise....if you would like to use an old computer power supply like me,, you could google it and wing it yourself on the conversion.. or I know the short version if you are interested.....

gewecke

Banned
I use an old computer power supply.. its not just "remove from old computer plug it up and it works" type of thing tho.. there is a trick to make it work... my setup has 12vdc at 14 amps constant.... but it was FREE!..... works fine with very little noise....if you would like to use an old computer power supply like me,, you could google it and wing it yourself on the conversion.. or I know the short version if you are interested.....
No thanks, I'll stay with Astron. 73, n9zas

Rred

Computer supplies are made in huge quantities so they can be a bargain. But. They are a fixed 12.0 volt supply, and much "12 volt" equipment is really meant as "12 volt automotive" equipment, which is nominally 13.8 volts. There are a lot of good transmitters that will "work" at 12 volts, but put them in a lab and you will see the power output is down, the out-of-band harmonics are up, the radio just ain't working well at 12.0 volts. And if you look in the manual it is actually rated for "13.8 volts +- 10%" which makes 12.42 volts the minimum it is designed for. If it is rated +-15%, you're in better luck.

There are (were) some articles on the web about tricking computer power supplies into providing higher voltage. Worth looking into, not really hard if you want to go that way.

Rred

When Alinco first hit the US market (1990s?) they were building a reputation for a decent radio--even if their software and interface sometimes were more difficult--at a good price, and building a following. Then the first US distributor folded, warranty support became "too bad, your problem", and a lot of hams said "Never again". In a way similar to the Chinese SDRs on the market today.

AFAIK the second distributor has picked up the ball and done a good job for some years now, but I think a lot of hams still feel that The Big Three have a lot more presence behinds their rigs, and are closer to a zero gamble. Doesn't mean that's right or wrong--just the perception a lot of folks have.

FWIW.

KD8NIV

Have heard a lot of good things about Astron PS, but boy do they cost....

I'm running a 30 amp Megawatt ps now, nothing wrong with it, just curious what you guys looked at when looking for a ps, due to been so many to pick from these days.......

Any of you guys running a 100 amp ps, if so which one ?..

gewecke

Banned
There are some really good deals to be found on Eham & sometimes Craigs list with Astron supplies. They are commercial quality supplies which is Why they are priced a bit higher and they Keep their value too! Many people use two or three supplies as opposed to one Large one, so if one fails you're not down for the count! :). 73, n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.