Transfer music to new ipod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonus1331

I have a 30GB Ipod Video that I have completely filled up.
I am going to buy myself a 64GB Touch for Christmas which will give me the room I need and replace my ancient HP Ipaq for E-books and web browser.
Question I have is how do I transfer the music from my old Ipod to the new?
Is it as easy as just naming the new Ipod the same as my old one and syncing with Itunes?
TIA

djxman

Yes just sync. When you connect the new one its going to ask you if you want to make a new profile or use a existing one. Choose your existing one and it will sync everything you had on the old one to the new one.

N0IU

You can sync as many iPods to a single library as you want, but you can only sync an iPod to one library. You can, however, customize exactly what you want to sync from your library for each device in iTunes. I have an iPod Touch (you'll love it!) and a smaller Nano that both sync to the same library. Since the Nano has a much smaller capacity, I selected the option Sync only checked songs and videos. It can be a major PITA to go through a large library and check/uncheck the stuff you want to sync, but you only have to do it once! Whenever you add something to the library, it is automatically checked so you will have to uncheck it if you don't want it on your old iPod.

There is also an option in iTunes under the Music tab where you can select whatever playlists, artists or genres you want for each device that makes it a little easier to sync the "smaller" iPod.

Clear as mud, eh?

Last edited:

bonus1331

Appreciate the info. Got the Touch yesterday. Attached, named the Touch the same as my Ipod Video and everything worked like a charm...1.5 hours syncing 5,000 songs!!
Immediately downloaded Kindle app.
Hope to get some Amazon gift certificates for Christmas and by some e-books!
Lovin the Ipod, web browser, e-book reader, game console, all-in-one concept!

Status
Not open for further replies.