Uniden Android Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I thought this was an interesting find at Big Lots (Odd Lots for some).
View Uniden® 4.3" Android™ 4.0 Touch Media Tablet With Camera Deals at Big Lots

It appears to be a license logo of Uniden on a Southern Telecom tablet, but I thought it was great just the same.

The fact that it runs at 1 GB clock, has 4 GB's of memory, a MicroSD card slot, Android 4.0 ice cream sandwich, and a camera, with a 4.3" screen was really appealing for $60.

I hope to see a larger display version soon.

What's ironic is, you can run a scanner app to listen to the Radioreference feeds.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 26,323

searingxheretic

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone purchased it? I'd be interested in hearing your review. I've been looking for a cheap tablet to install in my refrigerator to use as a shopping list. Unnecessary sure, but its a fun project lol

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
It works well with Ice Cream Sandwich. It can bog down and get slow if many apps are running in the background, but I use an app killer to manage open apps. The 4.3" screen is a little larger than most cellphone displays and is readable and clear. You can run a lot of different apps on this tablet.

Battery life is OK, but could be better at about 2~3 hours of continuous use.

I would recommend it as a secondary tablet, but not as your primary WiFi device.

Bottom line, don't expect stellar performance for $60, but it's fun and easy to use.

duhh33

help!

Hey all. I'm new here, actually registered due to this post.I also saw this tab at big lots and decided to pick it up for giggles. I have a fair bit of experience in the android world. Can you possibly describe in a bit more detail how you got gapps running? For starters, I don't have the same package you linked to. That site is down, but I was able to browse its' instructions tanks to google caching. I have tried the 2.3.4, 2.3.6 and 4.0.4 gapps from goo.im, all with the same result. OneTimeInitializer and SetupWizzard both throw "application not installed" when I attempt to install them. Play Store / Market from all 3 version has seemingly installed correctly. Upon opening it, I am prompted to sign in. Once my login completes I see the front page of the store for 1/10th of a second, then receive "Unfortunately, market has stopped".

Did you install/run SetupWizzard and OneTimeInitializer successfully? Anything other pointers you could give out that might not have been covered in the doc?

I'm including my device info as we could potentially be running different revisions, etc.
UTAB430
Baseband 1.4rc3
Kernel version 3.0.8
gqt@kangyawei #2
Thu Jul 5 15:16:33 CST 2012
Build Number 20120719-kf001

Thanks,
duhh

gonzalu

What would be cool is if it were a precursor to a full controlled remote radio. So, you buy a power BLACK BOX that has the PLL and all the circuitry, connections, etc.etc. but no head. Then it serves up a Wi-Fi BSSID and has a built-in web server. You then connect via ANY web browser, inlcuding this fine tablet as the actual GUI lives on the web server. Your tablet or phone or computer will just display the actual GUI and that GUI can be very fancy... as fancy as Uniden wants to make it and it can also be very extensive and powerful... Scanner black box sits anywhere, and your control head is any device. BRILLIANT!! I said this on twitter to Uniden and I am hoping they just blatantly steal the idea :p

searingxheretic

Premium Subscriber
What would be cool is if it were a precursor to a full controlled remote radio. So, you buy a power BLACK BOX that has the PLL and all the circuitry, connections, etc.etc. but no head. Then it serves up a Wi-Fi BSSID and has a built-in web server. You then connect via ANY web browser, inlcuding this fine tablet as the actual GUI lives on the web server. Your tablet or phone or computer will just display the actual GUI and that GUI can be very fancy... as fancy as Uniden wants to make it and it can also be very extensive and powerful... Scanner black box sits anywhere, and your control head is any device. BRILLIANT!! I said this on twitter to Uniden and I am hoping they just blatantly steal the idea :p

Until that happens, just do what I do. Hook your scanner up via USB then run a VNC on that computer and log in from anywhere, at any time. I VNC in on my cell phone all the time,

gonzalu

True but I am still subject to the currently limited interface(s) on the radios. ScanStar was a nice start to an ideal setup where the software takes advantage of the Real Estate on the screen to good use. Icom's native control software for PCR systems are far more advanced yet still basic.

The beautiful GUI of Icom PCR with the utility and elegance of ScanStar would be ideal for me.

Sometimes I just want to visually see the layout of my scanner at once in one large screen and easily go click and turn things on and off without remembering what number does what or jumping back and forth.

duhh33

Welcome to the radio reference forums, duhh. I don't own that tablet so hopefully others will chime in. The correct version of gapps for ICS is the 0429 package.
Goo.im Downloads - Downloading gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip

I don't know if that is the one you've tried or not, but hopefully that helps.

Indeed, that is the build I used when referencing 4.0.4. The only reason I tried the GB versions as well is that those versions are actually what are specified as working in the thread DaveIN linked to. Hopefully he stops back in to provide some clarity at some point.

searingxheretic

Premium Subscriber
It doesn't seem to be on the Uniden website?

Its made by Southern Telecom, not Uniden. It is just branded as Uniden. Southern Telecom also makes the Polaroid tablets along with like 20 other brands of tablets and mp3 players.

searingxheretic

Premium Subscriber
Indeed, that is the build I used when referencing 4.0.4. The only reason I tried the GB versions as well is that those versions are actually what are specified as working in the thread DaveIN linked to. Hopefully he stops back in to provide some clarity at some point.

Which installer are you using, clockworkmod or twrp?

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Hey all. I'm new here, actually registered due to this post.I also saw this tab at big lots and decided to pick it up for giggles. I have a fair bit of experience in the android world. Can you possibly describe in a bit more detail how you got gapps running? For starters, I don't have the same package you linked to. That site is down, but I was able to browse its' instructions tanks to google caching. I have tried the 2.3.4, 2.3.6 and 4.0.4 gapps from goo.im, all with the same result. OneTimeInitializer and SetupWizzard both throw "application not installed" when I attempt to install them. Play Store / Market from all 3 version has seemingly installed correctly. Upon opening it, I am prompted to sign in. Once my login completes I see the front page of the store for 1/10th of a second, then receive "Unfortunately, market has stopped".

Did you install/run SetupWizzard and OneTimeInitializer successfully? Anything other pointers you could give out that might not have been covered in the doc?

I'm including my device info as we could potentially be running different revisions, etc.
UTAB430
Baseband 1.4rc3
Kernel version 3.0.8
gqt@kangyawei #2
Thu Jul 5 15:16:33 CST 2012
Build Number 20120719-kf001

Thanks,
duhh

Here is the file you need: http://www.the-digital-reader.com/gapps-2.3.4.zip

You also need to follow the steps listed in the article in order.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Which installer are you using, clockworkmod or twrp?

You just need to gapps listed in the article, the tablet is already rooted and only needs the play store installed.

Keep in mind you need a google account (email, password) to get access to the app store.

If you have already attempted to install gapps, go to the apps manager or file manager and uninstall the apps, remove your google account from the settings, and re-install using the gapps version mentioned.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin

No, it's just an android clone, nothing to do with receiver. As mentioned, the tablet is actually just licensed to use the Uniden name and "world without wires" by SouthernTelecom.

It would be great if you could run your HP-1 with it however. If the interface would connect with the HP-1 that is.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
By the way I see that there is a black case and a white case version of this 4.3" tablet with the Uniden logo on it.

searingxheretic

Premium Subscriber
You just need to gapps listed in the article, the tablet is already rooted and only needs the play store installed.

Keep in mind you need a google account (email, password) to get access to the app store.

If you have already attempted to install gapps, go to the apps manager or file manager and uninstall the apps, remove your google account from the settings, and re-install using the gapps version mentioned.

Odd, I've never installed a gapp package any way other than flashing them in cwm or twrp. I didn't know you could just install an .apk

Status
Not open for further replies.