Uniden 7" Android 4.0 tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I see Big Lots (Odd Lots for some) has another new Uniden branded tablet in a larger 7" size now available in the Black Friday ad and listed as "in stores" at Big Lot's online for $59.88 to complement the 4.3" mini-tablet that was just recently released.

View Uniden® 7" Android™ 4.0 Internet Tablet Deals at Big Lots

If you've read my other thread on the 4.3" version you'll notice that it is manufactured for Uniden by Southern Telecom and appears to be a clone of the Polaroid, Emerson, and Sharp labeled tablets of the same Southern Telecom. The biggest difference between the clones is the logo, graphic interface, and wallpaper installed.

Additionally, these two tablets do not include the Google Play Market/Store, but have other app store options you can install. As before you can install Google Play with a link to the Gapps and follow the tutorial on tutorial that was found for the Polaroid PMID702C.

For fans of Uniden scanners, this a a great companion to go along when using your scanner or just surfing the internet. Just in time for Black Friday, too.

Don't forget to support your favorite scanner app for out of the area scanner streams.

Happy Holiday Scanning and surfing too! :cool:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
By the way the model umber is UTAB71BK. The BK must be for Black. There is a white version on this model as well as the 4.3" model.

It also appears you can get $10 dollars off on Black Friday at Big Lot's when you use the coupon in the flyer. What-a-deal!

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; DROID BIONIC Build/6.7.2-223_DBN_M4-23) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Just curious. Do the files root the table? I never figured out how to get around the wifi-only state of my 2-yr old Viewsonic, and I haven't been able to grab the Google Play apps.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
No need, the Uniden tablets comes pre-rooted. You can verify it using the free Root Checker app. Your Viewsonic, I'm not sure about.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
UTAB71BK Pic

Here is a picture of the Uniden UTAB71BK.

Attachments

• UTAB71BK.jpg
    UTAB71BK.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 19,977
I just bought this at Big Lots. It was 59.99 and I got it in white. I have it plugged up and charging at the moment so I will see what it's like tomorrow evening. I am looking forward to using the eReader function the most.

jlowry71

I purchased one of these at Big Lots today and have to say for 60 bucks it's a very good tablet. Android 4.0 is taking a little getting used to but I'm getting the hang of it. I did go through and installed the Market but one thing I've noticed now is the Amazon Appstore doesn't work properly after I did the gapps install. I have to go in and clear the cache out and sign back in again for it to work. Then it will work fine until I close it. I reopen and it sits frozen. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling but it does the same thing every time.

Also found that the Chrome browser does not appear to work properly. A work around was to find on the internet the APK for Chrome Beta. That one does work on the tablet.

Alexlonebear

What can this 7" tablet do

I am sorry to bother you but I'm looking at this 7" tablet. I am new to the tablet world and to here. I wonder if you or anyone else here can please answer a few questions for me. I really just need to verify some things.
Can I use this as an Ereader (Kindle, etc.)? My brother has the Kindle app on his Samsung Galaxy 2 with Android and I have the same on my IPhone 3GS. Would this use the same things?
Along the same lines, can I get games and such from the Gapps link spoken about here? I'm talking about simple games like Angry Birds and Wurdle.
Does it have a browser and email applications? I have Wifi at home and at work to do this.
Finally, can this download movies from Netflix?
Any help you or someone else can give me on this will be most appreciated.
Hank Alexander

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I did go through and installed the Market but one thing I've noticed now is the Amazon Appstore doesn't work properly after I did the gapps install. I have to go in and clear the cache out and sign back in again for it to work. Then it will work fine until I close it. I reopen and it sits frozen. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling but it does the same thing every time.

Also found that the Chrome browser does not appear to work properly. A work around was to find on the internet the APK for Chrome Beta. That one does work on the tablet.

Thanks for the update. I noticed that the Google Market did not auto update like it should to Play, but I found a method that works to get an up to date Play store here: [APK] Google Play Store v3.5.16 + MOD - xda-developers

As for the Amazon Appstore, I also see this problem. I do not use this app., but would be interested to hear if anyone has a solution for this issue.

Thanks for the tip on Chrome Beta. I also use Firefox with no issues upon installation.

If you tablet gets bogged down don't forget to install an app killer to free up memory.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
How fast is it? With loading up pages and apps etc.

It's not bad for a single core 1 GHz processor with 512 MB of internal RAM. Video is pretty snappy and apps open quick when other apps are not hogging memory in the background.

Battery life is about four hours of continuous use with WIFI. You can use the included charger or 5 volt USB connection to charge the tablet.

ezBench has it at 605 points.

Memory I/O: 273
File Reading: 488
File Writing: 3738
Encryption: 506
Decryption: 731
Hashing: 798
Mandelbrot set: 282
Financial Modeling: 433

CPU Identifier data

CPU Identifier: 1008.00 MHz
CPU type: Allwinner A13 1.008 Ghz(2nd detection)
UTAB71 (Sun5i)
Supported frequency states: 30
NEON capeable (fast video playback)
RAM memory module: 512 Mb DDR (Usable:353 Mb)
GPU type:
Mali-400 MP (single core GPU)

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Big Lot's has a 7" tablet & eReader case that fits and protects the tablet for $3.00 from C icon.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Radio Shack has a 16 Gb microSDHC class 4 for $8.99 in my store. $12.99 online. You may want to look for a Cyber Monday deal also.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Damn you Dave...you probably just cost me some
money as you know I am an Android Geek and
I can't pass up deals like this :cool:
Might have to pick one up just to compliment my
other Uniden products :)
Marshall KE4ZNR

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Don't hate the player, hate the game, Marshall. :p

You did see the thread on the 4.3" version, right? :twisted:

Last edited:

N4RDX

scanner app

I am thinking about buying either the 4" or the 7" version but i was wondering if I can download a scanner app and use it on one of these tablets. Has anyone tried it yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.