Soldering gun suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cressida81

to make antennas I know eventually I'll need to solder a thing or two.
New soldering guns seem to be running anywhere from $20-$120
I'm trying to not break the bank here with all the little purchases (they add up! $30 mount here, $15 car charger, $25 mag ,punt antenna, programming cable, etc and suddenly you've spent over $100!)
So, that being said, how about those old soldering irons for sale on eBay?
There are some cheap used old models with high wattage like this one Weller Universal Multi Purpose Soldering Gun Kit 140 100 Watts | eBay

Mostly this would be for making antennas and cables, not making circuit boards.

W6KRU

I'm not sure what "making antennas" means but if you are working on cables, wires, and UHF connectors, the one you linked to would be adequate.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If you are soldering large connectors, like UHF and the like, having a hot soldering iron works well. If you are trying to solder outside, it really helps. You need a high wattage iron to do that sort of work.

I don't think you could go wrong with a basic Weller like that. Only drawback is that those pistol type like that can take a 15 seconds or so to fully heat up. Not a big deal for occasional use, but if you are doing a lot of work, it can get frustrating. My personal favorite is an old Bell System 95 watt iron that I picked up used. It's always on when you plug it in, but 95 watts gives you enough heat to do bigger connections.

It won't be very useful for small/detailed work, though.

PACNWDude

I have had a Weller gun style soldering iron for years. They work well and hold up well, except for the little incandescent light up front. Hopefully the new ones are LED by now.
Stay away from cordless ones unless you use butane and they may not get warm enough on a cold day outside.
I do have a NiCad Weller from years back, but had to replace batteries once. The "As Seen on TV" AA battery soldering irons do not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.